Sign in to follow this  
Hirgab

Anyone here refuse to fly online? If so, why?

It's restrictive because offline I can fly as I wish. Choose my current flight level, change it if I wish, select a runway, choose another if I wish regardless of what the controller wants.
I agree with this.I was a long time VATSIM member. But I pretty much stopped flying online a couple of years ago when I got told I couldn't do something once too often. I just asked myself "why am I allowing myself to be restricted in this manner ?, when I could just fly offline,and do what I want". I did, and found out I really enjoyed it more.
- Limited coverage
Here's the problem with VATSIM (and likely IVAO too) regarding coverage gaps in a nutshell.Lets say you have a pilot flying to Memphis (FDX324), and you have a Controller working Salt Lake City Center (SLC_CTR).There's no Controllers in Memphis, there's no planes in SLC_CTR.That SLC_CTR controller can't just plug into MEM_CTR, and handle FDX324, because he's not rated to work Memphis. Because of this FDX324 arrives in Memphis with no ATC, and SLC_CTR sits there with no traffic to work.This situation guarantees there will always be gaps in coverage, they have no system in place to on-the-fly fill these ATC positions when pilots need them. Their system is designed for the Controllers tostay at their rated positions and wait for the planes to come to them.But I think its something you have to try for yourself. VATSIM has its negatives, butcan be amazingly realistic at times.If you have not tried it, I recommend you try it and decide for yourself, if its for you.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Hi,I wouldn't say I am refusing to use online, I just don't see the need. RC4 gives me everything I need 100% of the time.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

My reasons for not flying online:1.) Sparse coverage of airports, unless you are flying during special preplanned events, which are far and few between. I like having the option to fly to any airport I choose and not having to worry if there will be adequate ATC coverage.2.) Flying as PIC, I have my hands full just managing the normal duties expected of the pilot, and cannot fathom having to take on the ATC duties of the Pilot Not Flying at the same time. Say what you want about FSX's ATC, it does keep things simple and manageable without having to input frequencies, things that will distract the pilot flying. In my mind, its not realistic to be flying a 2 person cockpit and handle both the a/c performance AND ATC monitoring at the same time. I just use FSX ATC for its basic functions, but often ignore their commands for vectors or altitude assignments since they are inaccurate, I tend to just follow the established SID/STARS at major airports or make up my own vectoring procedures within reason.3.) I prefer having AI traffic (Ultimate Traffic 2) which offers real world activity at airports, and I love seeing dense gate and taxing traffic at my airports, something you cannot replicate with online flying.4.) I use full screen mode, I believe if I used an online addon like IVAO or Vatsim, I would be forced to use window mode. This is just my opinion, and I do appreciate why VATSIM flyers enjoy online activity. For instance, they will have smoother FPS since FSX is not drawing AI traffic, which does take a hit on FPS. And there is a certain feeling of camardarie and satisfaction in adding a human interaction to the simulation.But for me, I'd rather concentrate on flying the aircraft exclusively, and not get too engaged with ATC procedures, which is something real life pilots have the luxury of: a second set of eyes, hands, and brains to help them. As sim pilots, we are not so lucky to have that help. I do use FS2crew to have a simulated copilot to help with setting up the aircraft during preflight, calling out v speeds, setting landing gear and flaps, and that certainly helps allieviate my workload and allow me to "pretend" I am in a 2 person cockpit.

RC4 wont give you the pleasure of interacting with other similarly minded humans tho
I fly to get away from humans! I directly deal with 175+ of them per day!!

I wouldn't say I am refusing to use online, I just don't see the need. RC4 gives me everything I need 100% of the time.
Cntrl-shift K--"your comms-got it" makes it all worth while!If I wanted real-I file IFR and go flying for real !:(

Jim Atkins

Heres my .02, and adjusted for inflation, it's about a dollar three eighty :( I know most here are discussing VatSim, but there are other options for flying 'online', and personally, I can't imagine NOT flying online anymore, here's why.....I fly online almost everyday. The only time I fly 'free flight' is when I am testing a new addon or building a custom flight plan. Initially I used FS9 and FSHost, because I needed other planes and pilots for videos I was making. Once I went to FSX, the built-in multiplayer made FSHost obsolete. Of course FSMP has is own set of issues, especially if you try to use the default lobby. However over time we managed to find work arounds for most of them and generally have few issues now. Flying online has given me the chance to meet people I never would have known, and many have become real friends. The inter action and camraderie is what keeps me flying now and I can't imagine how boring it must be without a group of real people to talk with while exploring the world of FSX. We have about 20 or so that join us as they can, and the conversations can be hilarious, but they are always entertaining and educational.As most everyone is, I have been aware of Vatsim for years, and have heard stories both pro and con about it. About a month ago I decided to take a look, thinking I might possibly expand my online multiplayer experiance. I researched the website and read their PRC, checked the forums, then spent what I felt was too much time installing and trouble shooting the software. Some had outdated info and I have to admit was frustrating to get to operational. To give credit where credit is due, once I started asking questions, there were some extremely helpfull people that got me up and running, and it was much appreciated.Once I was finally able to connect to the Vatsim server, I just sat and watched for a few days. School is still out for me on this as I havent yet made up my mind, but I am leaning 'slightly' towards trying a few flights. I also installed Vatspy so I could see the coverage areas active and may eventually give it a shot.I initially tried using the Squawkbox software but that brought my system to it's knees. I then tried FSInn and that works fine, and some I fly with use it from a remote machine so it has 0 perfromance impact. The important thing I discovered is, once FSInn is installed, there are OTHER server options that are included, specifically the 2 APOLLO servers. They are free and usually empty, so if you have a group that wants to fly together, you can all just logon and fly, free of interference or ATC.Now the really important thing we discovered..... one of the guys who started flying with us used FSInn to set us up our own server!!!!! No more Gamespy with it's limitations, no worrying about lack of coverage, or some 8 year old deciding to do loops around your plane. I know he see's this cause he has posted to this thread, so thanks again !!! :( We fly with people from all over the world, and again, I cant imagine flying 'solo' ever again in FSX, Vatsim or not. To each his own, thats the great thing about FS.

Jay

I wouldn't say that I refuse to fly online ... but I just don't. I must say that I have been slightly tempted, but in the end, the reasons that I haven't tried are many of those that have already been stated. That said, I will add two that I don't think I've read yet:

• I feel kinda sheepish speaking to my computer in front of my wife and kids

• Because of my wife and kids, I have to pause my flights on a pretty regular basis. I don't think that I'd be able to do so while flying online.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

One thing I like about flying online (vatsim/ivao) is that it has forced me to learn more, A few years ago if you asked me what a sid or star was I would have said huh! I also like its unpredictability, you think your going to shoot an ils at lax but you find yourself looking out the window trying to find the coliseum and the harbor freeway on the stadium visualbiggrin.gif When I fly online my hands are cold as ice but sweaty as hell.biggrin.gif Anyone else get this?

Hi,I get plenty of that in the real word.

RC4 wont give you the pleasure of interacting with other similarly minded humans tho

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I don't so much refuse as find that RC4 works fine for me, I think I will probably stick with that until RC5 comes out .. .. !G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I fly to get away from humans! I directly deal with 175+ of them per day!!
Hahaha Jim, good point! I personally interact with about 150+ of them daily...

Hi,I get plenty of that in the real word.
Some don't experience real world flightwise.

I dont fly online either for many of the reason mentioned above. Plus if I need to pause the sim for a minute or want to use time compression to speed up a 6 hour flight it would probably cause problems. Plus I do the majority of my flying while I am at work, so from time to time even if I dont have to pause the sim I have to turm my attention to the other screens to conduct my business. I can only imagine if I was online the controllers yelling at me while I am doing my work on the side and I can only reply "unable", lol.Frankly, I dont even really use the default ATC except when I am departing or arriving at an airport and that's only for taxi instructions or landing clearence, but during cruise I dont even tune any centers along the way. I'm not even really interested in using any addon ATC programs for that matter either. The only thing that I will do from time to time is tune in the real ATC on LiveATC.com and listen to that at my arrival and departure airports if there is a feed for the particular airport I am at or going to. I have considered doing some online flying with a few people I talk to that I have become friends with over the past few years from various FS forums, some of which ask me everytime I talk to them, "when are we going to fly online?" and my response is always "one of these days." If I was really interested in it I am sure I would have done it by now and maybe when I finally do a short flight in a closed room or whatever its called, I will be blown away and think I should have tried this a long time ago.I wouldn't say I refuse to do it, but I am just not interested in getting all the software necessary to do, setting it up, and then trying it to find coverage is sparse or non existant. Plus I have seen a few youtube videos of some VATSIM departures and some of the controllers in the audio must have been around 12 years old or so. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but if I am departing a large hub and am getting clearance from a fellow who sounds like he's 10 yrs old it kind of spoils it for me, especially when he is stuttering and forgetting what he is supposed to say.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator