Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eziocin

g3d.dll......help ..!

Another tweak in FSX.cfg file? Or clean...
Same cfg. Same old tweak with 300mb instead of Zero or 30K.

Bufferpools don't help with g3d.dll's. BP is a performance tweak, better so or so, but it will do nothing for g3d.dll errors - I am yet to see any real proof. I tried it all over the places where I saw g3d.dll's, and could not prevent it with the various BP settings.The CTDs as you call them, are different kinds. If you are talking about g3d.dll error as a CTD, then it's not really CTD. Definition of CTD = Crash To Desktop, would mean FSX closes and goes to desktop, without any error message. So you gotta define yourself better.g3d.dll errors don't happen randomly. The happen for a reason and are usually replicable, nearly 100% probably. At least here. And I see the reason, but I don't know why it does that, other than blame the engine.

Word Not Allowed,It worked for me. That's enough proof for me. LOL.gifThat said, if it's true that g3d.dll crashes are caused by system overload, then I could extrapolate that anything that pushes the system could cause instability or CTDs.

Guest firehawk44

I have missinglibraryalerts=1 enabled in my fsx.cfg. Up until just now, it was preventing the g3d.dll crashes with a warning about missing scenery objects. I would click ok about 10 times and the flight would continue without a CTD. Now I just flew a flight in my 737-700NGX from Eugene Oregon to Seattle, a flight I fly almost everyday without incident. The sim stopped just before arriving at a position just even with Mount Rainier and I was expecting the error message about missing scenery objects to pop up, I would click okay, and the flight would continue. That didn't happen and FSX CTD with the g3d.dll attributed as the fault of the crash. The only thing different from previous flights was the fact I just downloaded and installed the latest version of MyTrafficX 5.4. Best regards,Jim

I'm not convinced that g3d.dll are caused by system overload. IMHO the 'graphics engine' gets in a tizzy with itself, when it can't find objects, the more it can't find the bigger knot it gets in and then finally a CTD will happen. The 'knot' is lessened with the 'error trapping' activated in the FSX.CFG.

Guest firehawk44
Word Not Allowed,It worked for me. That's enough proof for me. LOL.gifThat said, if it's true that g3d.dll crashes are caused by system overload, then I could extrapolate that anything that pushes the system could cause instability or CTDs.
It's amazing how some systems do not have the g3d.dll crashes and many others do. I agree with Word Not Allowed that it's something else as it is scenery related. The g3d.dll belongs to Microsoft and is used to call scenery objects from .bgl files for graphics rendering in FSX. Perhaps you do not have any "bad" scenery installed. In any case, glad you aren't suffering from these crashes.Best regards,Jim

I have missinglibraryalerts=1 enabled in my fsx.cfg. Up until just now, it was preventing the g3d.dll crashes with a warning about missing scenery objects. I would click ok about 10 times and the flight would continue without a CTD. Now I just flew a flight in my 737-700NGX from Eugene Oregon to Seattle, a flight I fly almost everyday without incident. The sim stopped just before arriving at a position just even with Mount Rainier and I was expecting the error message about missing scenery objects to pop up, I would click okay, and the flight would continue. That didn't happen and FSX CTD with the g3d.dll attributed as the fault of the crash. The only thing different from previous flights was the fact I just downloaded and installed the latest version of MyTrafficX 5.4.Best regards,Jim
This will also happen if there are 'AI objects' missing, ie the aircraft. try running the traffic BGLs through AIFP and see if there are any aircraft missing.

Guest firehawk44
This will also happen if there are 'AI objects' missing, ie the aircraft. try running the traffic BGLs through AIFP and see if there are any aircraft missing.
That certainly makes sense. What is the acronym AIFP? Google says AOPA Internet Flight Planner but I know that's not it. Could you provide further guidance? Thanks,Best regards,Jim

The only part that I had already done is this'the disablepreload=1 tweak also add for a smoother fsx, it then only loads the texture files when needed and not on forehand and thus choking up the RAMAs I have said, (Touch wood), I have had FSX CTD for ages

Not here.
Word Not Allowed,are you not using it because it gives no benefits (I rememember it was introduced to improve performance on ATI cards) ? Are we talking about the shader 3 mod ? I am using even if I don't see any major difference using with or without it....Regards

Word Not Allowed,are you not using it because it gives no benefits (I rememember it was introduced to improve performance on ATI cards) ? Are we talking about the shader 3 mod ? I am using even if I don't see any major difference using with or without it....Regards
Yes, we are talking about Shader 3 Mod by Bojote. I am not using it because it gives me weird looking water, I prefer the non-mod-water-looks.

Guest firehawk44
Is anyone here using ******* Shader Tweak?
Not here.Best regards,Jim

Guest firehawk44
I have 22 pages of missing aircraft in the MyTraffic/Scenery folder. Is that bad? Best regards,Jim

I have 22 pages of missing aircraft in the MyTraffic/Scenery folder. Is that bad?Best regards,Jim
Firstly,How did you find that out?

Guest firehawk44
Firstly,How did you find that out?
I opened AIFP and, under the Files Tab clicked on 'identify missing aircraft in traffic files'. I then pointed the program to the MyTraffic/Scenery folder. I doubt this was the problem though in my previous g3d.dll crash from Eugene Oregon to Seattle as I just flew the route again this morning and the missing scenery objects popped up this time (12 times) at around the same spot. I simply clicked ok and continued my flight into Seattle. Until a positive solution to the g3d.dll error is found, the MissingLibraryAlert=1 entry in the FSX config will remain. Thanks again for your help and recommendation.Best regards,Jim

I was asking because you can flush the shader cache with their tool (as well as with the CFG if you do not have it).I find it all very strange as I never had these errors until I started using the NGX. I'm sure the NGX just puts FSX over the edge.....and the errors are from missing object library's for certain (at least on my system). Where ever I have a consistant g3d.dll error I also find missing object errors.

When I responded to the statement that I wanted to know where geographically these errors occured so that we could replicate them to show it isn't an urban myth.
I am not certain as I have never had one. But on the ORBX forums users did say that their are errors in a vanilla FSX install

I am not certain as I have never had one. But on the ORBX forums users did say that their are errors in a vanilla FSX install
Neither have I, whch was why I asked. Being cynical, I'd need to know the precise circumtances in which it ocurred.

Did you check the background on your g3d.dll's? Did you have this one single situation which you could replicate and ALWAYS get a crash, and after you put BP, then you didn't?Cause that is what I have been testing many many times, and every single time test failed.

Guest firehawk44
DJJose (and others): Earlier I had stated I agreed with Word Not Allowed regarding these g3d crashes. He said it wasn't caused by system overload as DJJose had stated but something else. I normally don't listen to developers (just joking) but John V over at FTX locked the g3d thread stating these crashes are caused by system overload. Some of us have our fsx settings set way too high. Well, mine weren't set really high but I did lower the LOD from max to medium and lowered the mesh resolution from 100 to 70. All the other scenery sliders were not maxed out. Under weather, I had the weather slider out to around 180 miles out and reset that back down to the lowest, 60 miles. I also lowered the cloud textures from 4096 to 2048. I made sure autogen was set to normal and not to max as suggested by John V. I had gotten another g3d crash just earlier today flying my "testing" route from Eugene Oregon to Seattle (that was 2 out of 3 times today) and this was getting frustrating especially since I had not received this g3d CTD for almost a year and now they were happening almost daily! So I made the FSX changes and tried again with the same scenario as before. This time my fps stayed above 20 until reaching Seattle and I only had the Missing Scenery Objects messages (12 of them) as before. I clicked okay and completed the flight. I think why many are receiving the g3d crash more often than ever before is due to the fact that PMDG setup changed textures to HD (if your system was capable) and I know for sure that FSDT airports, recently released, also changed texture settings to HD. A lot of us recently got these eye-candy things.... Normally our systems could handle this but our systems were already under a lot of stress through tweaking, such as changing the LOD above and beyond what Microsoft had programmed FSX to render. I rarely got the g3d errors in the past and it was always under intense circumstances, with heavy real world weather (ASE), in the PMDG737NGX or iFly737NGX, and in commercial scenery like in Orbx/FTX PNW areas. Nice eye-candy but it caused CTD's. I think those that are constantly suffering from the g3d CTD needs to give this recommendation from a developer over at Orbx/FTX some serious attention and lower their settings (save your current fsx.cfg first). Then, go back to those areas where you had 100% or 90% chance of a g3d crash and see if this fixed your problem. If not, you may have to lower your settings a little more. Now, I don't know about tweaks like DJJose and others have offered as fixes -- I personally try to avoid tweaks as I think it causes more problems than answers. With lower settings, those Missing Scenery Objects will still be there but will not trigger a CTD even if you do not have the Missing Library Alert tweak in your FSX.cfg. So, IMHO, I agree with John V and this is why we are getting all of these g3d.dll and maybe ntdll.dll errors recently -- because we're trying to go where no flight simmer has ever gone before in our FSX.cfg settings.Best regards,Jim

I have changed my mind on this thing too many times Loser.gifBut I really don't know what to think. Editing this post a 3rd time already.Just now lowered everything to FSX max, and still, my NGX test flight EGLL-EBBR crashed when it came up to EBBR. VAS usage was 2.9gb.But I also have default FSX aircraft loaded just before EBBR, and it crashes if I put LOD 10.5 (usage around 3gb), and doesn't crash if I leave usage at 4.5 (VAS around 1.8gb).So now it comes down to the fact that it's gonna be impossible to fly NGX with decent settings, because engine is being overloaded? Come on... if it comes to that, I might as well leave FSX.