Sign in to follow this  
Mike T

Initial review of Demo (Beta?)

OK, let me add my 2c and no, I have not flown the sim extensively either..For XPlane to succeed, it should be released with a really good basic airplane thatwill instantly convince a new user that this is a sim worth spending time (and money) on.And, with some simple, friendly documentation that will make the first flight easy, enjoyable, and impressive.The notion that the default flight model is not all that great - and that XPlane has the potential tobe much better is a total non-starter IMHO.Lots of users are fed up with MSFS and ready to try something new and (hopefully) better..It is just before Christmas and folks are ready to spend money, and then XPlane releases a demothat is a ) hard to get into and b ) does not show what XPlane is capable of... I do not get it.

Bert

Guest HowardHughes
Yeah Howard, just for the heck of it, show us...
Give me the benefit of the doubt. Can you show me?
I would, had they not taken the old website content down.

For XPlane to succeed, it should be released with a really good basic airplane
Isn't that an oxymoron?

OK, let me add my 2c and no, I have not flown the sim extensively either..For XPlane to succeed, it should be released with a really good basic airplane thatwill instantly convince a new user that this is a sim worth spending time (and money) on.The notion that the default flight model is not all that great - and that XPlane has the potential tobe much better is a total non-starter IMHO.Lots of users are fed up with MSFS and ready to try something new and (hopefully) better..It is just before Christmas and folks are ready to spend money, and then XPlane releases a demothat is a) hard to get into and cool.png does not show what XPlane is capable of... I do not get it.
Let me ask you Bert, what very good basic airplane did Billionaire Bill Gates release FSX with? XPX has huge potential, if only people are willing to accept it's not FS11. Things work differently in this sim. Just to give you an example, Mike mentioned in his mini-review that the clouds were worse that stock FSX. Well it turns out that there is a way in the settings to do just what he wants.

That kind of supports my point.... there is a way to do what we want, but it is not obvious to us how to get there..A demo should impress - not frustrate!

Bert

Isn't that an oxymoron?
Not really.. try a RealAir Citabria as an example.. very basic - very good..There must be something similar in XPlane that could be used to show off this new Sim..!

Bert

Have to agree with include one fairly complex plane. I just bought my first payware Xplane plane so I can see what an established plane devoloper can do. I tried the free ones and they were awful.

That kind of supports my point.... there is a way to do what we want, but it is not obvious to us how to get there..A demo should impress - not frustrate!
Bert, it's not a demo, it's a beta. That was made clear. The only demo part is the download page, where eventually, you will get the real demo. So we all become testers for Laminar. Betas are made to frustrate, it's their nature and requires that beta testers test their individual configurations. The more testers available, the more it is likely we pick up anomalies. I could go on and on, but you probably figured out the rest.

Not really.. try a RealAir Citabria as an example.. very basic - very good..There must be something similar in XPlane that could be used to show off this new Sim..!
You're kidding, right? RealAir is a third party developer. A very good one at that, one of the best! We're far from a default, release plane you were talking about.

That's payware.

I think Bert is saying that it is a basic airplane in terms of "it's not a 737 or Concord"., Rather it is one that is a simple to fly plane that is depicted very nicely in a well rendered and complex software package.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

That's payware.
That's the point. Get a nice payware plane to demonstrate X-Planes abilities,....... if the defaults are so bad.In the meantime, don't downplay MSFS.............as if it can't touch X-Planes "blade element theory" , in regards to possible flight dynamics. . It's been clearly demonstrated that MSFS can do well, with 3rd party addons, such as RealAir.

Wow, the beta's been out a whole 24 hours, is a 10 minute time-limited demo, and you do an in-depth review? Initial review you say? I don't think so. Your review was done two weeks ago by the sound of it.
A review of a BETA, time limited version of X Plane that has JUST come out.Mike, come on. This is a joke post, right?Have you done a review of Prepar3d, yet?At least that's not in beta.I'm also interested in any other reviews you have done. Can you provide links?Also, what aircraft are you rated on and how long have you been flying?
Of course if he had given a glowing review, you guys would be slapping him on the back and shaking his hand, right?