Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Weather - Have You Been Impacted?

After hearing and reading about all the weather issues so many are experiencing, I have to feel grateful for our lack of them! Here in Vermont it's been a bit warm, for us (mid-eighties), with adequate rainfall as of late. We paid our annual weather dues last August after Irene paid us a visit...but I digress. The heat, fires, Derecho wind damage, and flooding that is happening simply humbles me. I try to remember that everything, without exception, is temporary...hopefully everyone's current troubles are short lived ones!

Be well.

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

SpiritFlyer, on 30 June 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

Quite the rain event! BTW the two sections ( including the first scene) showing the water coming in the vertical frames from large windows is from the aft Dining Room on the Costa Concordia as she was sinking.

Kind regards,

Nope, check the date on the vid, it was posted 3 months before the Concordia accident, those doors are in fact belonging to the Dundrum Shopping Center I mentioned. Hence the comment about it being akin to the Titanic...

Rónán O Cadhain.

There are quite a few videos of the Costa Concordia sinking that use the exact same footage including this one (starting at 45 seconds) claiming to be taken by Concordia survivors and broadcast on the local Italian news.

Since you have seen the actual shopping center, you are no doubt correct. Having been neither to your fair emerald isle or sailed on a Costa ship, I don't know first hand.

Kind regards,

Well, I've been to Dundrum Shoping center, and I recognise it, it you want proof, you can see sandbags lining the doors. Now I'm no ship captain, but I'm pretty sure that sandbags are not used to slow a sinking ship, and lining the doors with sandbags would be the last thing on the ships crew during the chaotic sinking.... :wink:

On a separate note, I'm shocked that the media would take unverified footage, or that someone would try and pass it off as footage of a sinking ship and make money out of an accident where people died...

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Ro,

We know only too well how upside down the press reports and illustrates all things aviation with wrong aircraft and ludicrious statements. I am sure they do the same kind of sloppy job in all things marine, as they have done here.

It reminds me of all the pictures of the Olympic, Titanic's elder sister, that appeared in newsprint and books as the Titanic itself, and still does from time to time. The press usually gets most things wrong. Shame!

Sorry to side track the thread, now back to your local weather report...

kind regards,

Am in Central Virginia. Lost power Friday evening due to winds and lightening storms. Went off at 2100 EST and we did not get it back until 1500 on Saturday. 18 hours.

Indy here... just 5 miles from downtown. Same same as you Tom, but power off around 1630 EST Friday... and not restored till some hours ago (around 1600 EST) so about 48 hrs off (never in 20 years that long). Limbs down all over... I half feel like I'm coming out of some daze... sleeping was horrible. Why did I (we) not go to a hotel??? :wacko:

My son and I spent some time this evening looking at generators. :LMAO:

I haven't seen anything like this. Spring began in March. Low 100s last Thurs. / Friday. Mayor signed a 7 day ban for fireworks for the county started yesterday. Most of the state under "No Burn" orders.

I expect to be living like the Bedouin by summer's end... sand... camels... tents... pass by and I'll invite you in for some refreshing tea...

Am in Central Virginia. Lost power Friday evening due to winds and lightening storms. Went off at 2100 EST and we did not get it back until 1500 on Saturday. 18 hours. Temps rose to over 105 F. Temp Index exceed 111 F at one point. More T'storms expected tonight.

I thought yoiu were describing the UK Tom. This has been an absolutely dreadful 'summer' or even spring. Apart from 3 weeks inb March, which were fantastic, since then it has been rain, rain, wind and more rain. Oh, and if lucky we managed maybe a day or two amongst that lot. We actually had the heating system on the other week, just for an hour!! This is June for crying out loud! Apparently the wettest on record and they cheer us all up by saying that July looks very much like it will be the same. Sheesh, take me to Florida someone pleeese....

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Sheesh, take me to Florida someone pleeese....

Why not just move to Australia like every other self-respecting Brit? :Nerd:

I was in the Blighty last summer. I had to wear a sweater with a shirt underneath... in August.

Why not just move to Australia like every other self-respecting Brit? :Nerd:

I was in the Blighty last summer. I had to wear a sweater with a shirt underneath... in August.

Oz has some pretty tight restrictions on who can get residence there. Southern Europe is a lot less hassle for seekers of decent weather within the EU (and you can drive all the way if you want).

Oz has some pretty tight restrictions on who can get residence there. Southern Europe is a lot less hassle for seekers of decent weather within the EU (and you can drive all the way if you want)

Good point.

Howard, how's your Italian?

Good point.

Howard, how's your Italian?

Hee hee, moving abroad has always been something I wanted to do Bryan, even more so now. Southern Portugal is my fave idea at the moment. The problem is... what to do? I don't think I would want to turn my back completely on the UK, goodness knows why, but my daugter is still here and so are many close friends. The idea of 6 months in the sunshine in the winter months of Portugal and then 6 months of sunshine in the summer in the UK... oooops, I've just seen a flaw in my plan...

BTW: If anyone wants to give an ex TV cameraman and photographer a job then let me know, seriously...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I don't know about Godzilla and the super storm, but this last weekend has felt like there was a volcano lurking around here somewhere. Funny video.

Guest firehawk44

I was in the center of the straight line wind storm and the 72 mph winds woke me up. I immediately turned on the tv and they were showing the line of storms (over 100 miles long) coming across the region. The weather forecaster said they were getting reports of 92 mph winds but the official word is 72. The local news stations did not break into their regular programming to provide warnings. Only the local Fox News was providing the coverage. I actually escaped any damage and there was little in the surrounding area. Most of the power lines in my area are below ground. Maryland and DC had the worse damage but they have a lot of aboveground power lines. After the massive lightning and thunderstorm that came in after the wind, I got back to sleep. Verizon FIOS TV was down when I woke up on Saturday and stayed off until about 12:30 pm. I was setting up my OTA antenna when FIOS returned. I was a little worried as Tiger was getting ready to tee off!!! My Internet connection remained on though and I had Vonage telephone service but my Verizon cell phone service was down. On Sunday, I mowed the front yard and found one plastic bottle that had blown into the street in front of my house and picked that up. My area was definitely fortunate as millions in the area lost power and lives were lost and there were a lot of trees that fell on cars and homes. My only real suffering is the fact I had tee times for today and tomorrow but the course closed due to power outages and some reports of damage on the course. That's why I'm here now writing this sad story....

Tom, hope you are back to normal!!

Best regards,

Jim

I feel for you Tom, having lived in Arlington,VA in years gone by I recognized many of the places they showed on the network news that hit hard by the storms. Won't even bring up the weather here in San Diego today.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit