Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

The big Carbon Cub topic

I have always asked for a detailed helicopter simulation, and never found one

Try the Dodosim 206 Jetranger. They've done a great job on it, from a specialized flight model dll file to quite good startup and shutdown procedures to keeping track of fuel and maintenance costs to engine performance degrading when the engine has been misused. There's also a "trim" of sorts so you don't have to keep the joystick off-center to fly.

Once you've got everything else set up, you may find that it's too much of a handful to fly. In that case go to general realism option and crank it down as needed. I had mine about halfway for quite a while. Thankfully they've got everything in that one setting.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Try the Dodosim 206 Jetranger.

Thx Hook :-) Yet, I know about it - owned it when I had FSX installed, long ago.... Was one of the preferred addons, together with realAir Machetti, LevelD767, A2A Spitfire, Flight1 PC-12 and a few other ;-)

I really don't want to go back to anything MS-related regarding flight simulation, really - MS FLIGHT's fate is just too hard for me to accept....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I really don't want to go back to anything MS-related regarding flight simulation, really - MS FLIGHT's fate is just too hard for me to accept....

Not much chance of Microsoft "pulling the plug" on FSX though.

Hook

Larry Hookins

I'm buying the Carbon Cub as a *hats off* to the MS Flight developers.

Regardless of the state of the game, those guys put their hearts into the game; and it showed. They put a lot of time into making the Carbon Cub for the dedicated fans. They probably won't see any of that money from the purchase, but at least they will know people are still enjoying their creations.

I had some amazing times with the game, and I'm sure I'll get plenty of more enjoyment out of it.

I fought the urge but I bought the cub, just a few hours before I heard of Flight's closing, and I'm glad I got it. It is a great little plane and of course its slow, its a cub, and there are some limitations on the instruments but it still takes an effort to fly it well.

I've said before that one of the big attractions of flight was the easier load it placed on my laptop and the great images and frame rates I got with Flight. I still had 1600 credits so popping for 1200 was not an issue. Sure I would have preferred it to be cheaper and yes MS does use some marketing " tricks" but the plane is excellent and I'll easily get 1200 credits worth of enjoyment. Heck, just watching my poor craft sinking slowly in the frigid artic waters after I've messed up a landing was worth a few dozen credits anyway.

So if you like a slow ride in a well modelled cub in spectacular scenery you may find that Flight in Alaska will be a favorite escape. As long as people like Peter continue to share their experiences and discoveries then I think Flight will be enjoyable to many more.

good flights, Cal

Its a good little plane. :smile:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The Cub is a lot of fun to fly. It fairly begs to be flown in a sporty manner. I've done things in the Cub, even flying "seriously" that I'd never consider in the Icon.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with landing on a hangar or hotel roof, or on top of the Hilo control tower. We all did things like this when we first started flight simming.

Hook

Larry Hookins

I'm having a great time with the VC Cub too. I just picked up another aerocache by not taking off at it's airport. Took off about 30 min. away, got the cache and flew another 45 to the next airport. This with a 17 kt. quartering headwind. Much fun. I also did an engine out challenge and scored gold on my first try with the cub. I really do like this little plane.

I intend to use Flight until the lights go out. It's a great diversion from the FSX environment when I need to just have some fun in a different plane and place.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals