Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arthur DaCat

Are You the only flight sim enthusiast/addict in your home?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yup, I am the only flight sim enthusiast in my family and my friends don't even know about it. Also besides my dad, I am the only one who is an enthusiast about aviation. And 2 days ago I got my PPL :)

Myself, my two sons play it regularly as a sim, my daughter every once and a while, but only as a game, not a sim. My wife occasionally shows an interest too... A family of flight simmers... :O Now just to get my wife to play it more often so I'll finally be able to buy all those add-ons I've wanted... B)

Regards,

Ró.

Just myself, but then I live alone so that probably counts for nothing... :acute:

Yup, I am the only flight sim enthusiast in my family and my friends don't even know about it. Also besides my dad, I am the only one who is an enthusiast about aviation. And 2 days ago I got my PPL :)

nice! congrats on the PPL. I wanted to go for my PPL also but the Canadian Government won't allow me due to a medical condition: Narcolepsy.....Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder that causes excessive sleepiness and frequent daytime sleep attacks. I was diagnosed in 1996 after i fell asleep at the wheel of my car and had a horrific car accident. :( oh well, thank God for our amazing hobby and flight software.

And 2 days ago I got my PPL :)

Congratulations, well done, be sure to enjoy it now that you have it. :Applause: :Applause: :Applause:

Regards,

Ró.

I think I am the most serious flight simmer I know, I have two friends that play it one who is actively in a VA flying military or low detail commercial. Another who plays the game on a similar level but not in a VA and very rarely. Outside of flight simulation I have my father who enjoys WW2 aviation, air shows and such as well as a few relatives who have a at least a better than average understanding of Aviation (from reading news articles etc...).

Other than that things are pretty lonely for me in terms of aviation. Hopefully if I get into University to study Aerospace Engineering and/or train for a PPL if my medical condition will allow it then I should meet more people soon. In the meantime however I resort to communities such as this for my daily aviation fix ^_^

Yep, Just me. My wife has no interest ( bit of a fear thing going on there) and my daughters are too young yet. I remember the very first time I stood in awe watching an Aer Lingus Bac 1-11 scream (they were loud) down the runway at EICK. It was 1980 and I was 12. I was hooked straight away and still am. In my office at home there are three wall charts of the PMDG 737NGX cockpit and the desks are full of aviation magazines, charts, joysticks, etc etc.

I have flown MSFS since FS98 and every time I upgraded my PC it was with FS in mind.

Congrats haztronic on the PPL, I hope to join you some day in the not too distant future.

Yeah, my daughter calls my virtual passengers the nerd squad.

I haven't come out of the, er, "closet" yet. :Big Grin:

You should work for MI5 if you can hide secrets like that! :P

My daughter thinks I'm sad and my wife thinks I'm a nerd! But some of my mates' jaws have hit the floor when I show them my rig B)

My sons take after their father, but the wife will never understand why sitting in front of a computer pushing fake switches can be so fun.

Likewise, I'll never understand how moving gems into rows of threes over and over again can be so fun...

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

I am definitely the only simmer, and I think its going to stay that way. The distance between this hobby and most people is getting so wide its hard to think of how to bridge the gap.

Yeah, my daughter calls my virtual passengers the nerd squad.

:LMAO:

I'm the only one in our household. My GF's an irremediable white-knuckle flier anyway, so couldn't be dragged kicking and screaming to Flightsim. She's impressed with some of the scenery add-ons though.

Only simmer here also. My Daughter (5) thinks it is the coolest thing though other than SpongeBob and my Son (10 months) loves the lights. Lol. My wife does not have two cares about it or computers in general unless she gets to the bank statement before I do. PMDG no lie caused me one of the most insane arguments ever with Her. No lie, just try to explain and win an argument about $200+ on addon planes for a sim that cost $30. She couldn't get it. I lost that one. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My day job is working for an embedded engineering firm and ironically 6 out of 12 engineers in my department are real world pilots. One of the remaining six is starting flight training soon.

Most of the pilots (including our CEO) use FSX in multi-monitor setups at home to fly into areas/airports they are unfamiliar with before making the real trip. Flying into the Concrete airport using Orbx PNW and Concrete airport scenery is a great way to familiarize yourself with the terrain before approaching the airport and thinking “#####?”

Funny enough though…we rarely talk about FSX, or flying at all for that matter, while at work.

Too many projects and we are all pretty much task saturated all day.

Philip

Just little ol' me. My Grandson is starting to take an interest, and I will heartily encourage that.

Stan

I'm the only one. My daughter is in her early teens and isn't interested in anything to do with aviation. My wife is just too busy to have many hobbies, and hasn't shown an interest in aviation either. So it's just me.....

John

Just me as well. Most of my friends don't know the difference between a Boeing 737 and a Cessna 172. I mean, they're just "planes", right?

Just me. My 16 year-old son thinks the VC cockpits are cool, but he's too busy playing the drums, working out, playing basketball, playing hockey, studying, playing Madden on his XBox ... well, you get the picture ... to fool around with flight sims. My 12 year-old daughter also thinks the planes are cool to look at, but that's about it.

My wife? Well, she's just happy that I'm "flying" around the basement, as she thinks that flying GA aircraft "for real" is too dangerous. The friends who actually are cognizant of my FSX addiction (yep, that's what it is; c'mon, everyone, admit it) think that it's really nerdy to "pretend" that I'm flying.

Sigh. I tend not to mention anything about my hobby to most people for fear of ridicule. What a sad state of affairs, because many of those who laugh at our hobby also play games on their XBoxes, PS3's, or PC's (e.g., NHL, Skyrim, or World of Warcraft), or even on their iPhones (e.g., Farmville, The Sims, etc.).

Only one here too. My brother is the one that started it, he's about 10 years older then me and I remember him with FS98 then FS2004. By the time he got fsx our pc was getting old and he didnt really have time anymore. He's now an airline pilot and gave me the aviation bug, it does sorta run in the family I suppose. He still loves playing around on fsx when he comes home, he's amazed at what we have now (i remember him buying the LDS and he also got the Aeroworx for training) He is amazed at the realism etc.

Starting my training now and we both agree FS has helped with the rw stuff.

Lee

Sent using Tapatalk

due to a medical condition: Narcolepsy.

Hah! Yeah--no--. Sorry.

anyhoo~

My kids like real flying but the virtual stuff--meh. Though my tween son suddenly is starting to get interested and the babies love sitting in my "cockpit" and playing with the yoke.

Well, judging by the comments here Flight simming appears to be a male dominated hobby. Unless of course the ladies would like to speak up