Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

How often do you change your texture sets?

Hi,

as many of us I have REX and other texture providing addons installed. After purchase I did some experiments with all of those texture sets. But meanwhile I change my sky, clouds or water textures only at rare intervals.

So, I would like to ask, how do you handle your addon textures. Which textures do you change on what occasion and how often do you change them?

Cheers,

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I use FEX and never change my textures because I like the ones I picked.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I've been using the same clouds (cumulus set21 and cirrus set 21) and sun (realistic sun) ever since I bought REX years ago. I have changed the water animation two or three times (started of with Sparkling, one of the reasons I bought REX) but moved to another one (less obvious and more realistic) a few months later (FTX Calm). I have changed skies a bit more often, something like 2 times a year maybe, because none ever was perfectly fine with me, but I am pretty happy with my current sky (Orange West Coast, New Blue and Newfoundland). The other stuff I never ever installed.

As it is now I am quite happy with my graphics and I probably won't run REX at all anymore until I have to reinstall my PC. ^_^

Very occasionally, in my case. I'm not a tweaker by nature, I'm here for the flying :-) and try to only fix things when they're broken but I do get the occasional bug, or I'll see someone's screenshot and think, "Hmm..., that sunset looks better than mine" and I'll fiddle a bit. Then not do it again for months.

Scott

I don't change my texture sets, either. Just today I did, because I upgraded from Rex Overdrive to Rex Essential Overdrive, but until now I've not changed them.

So it seem that I'm not alone with changing textures only very occasionally...

Cheers

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Hi,

Recently updated from REX essential to REX essential overdrive, I don't tend to change the textures deliberately but do always load REX up with the real world weather and let it choose it's own textures when installing the weather into FSX.

Happy Flying and good question.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Hi,

Recently updated from REX essential to REX essential overdrive, I don't tend to change the textures deliberately but do always load REX up with the real world weather and let it choose it's own textures when installing the weather into FSX.

Happy Flying and good question.

I always wonder if that option (to load appropriate textures) really has some intelligence behind it or if it's simply a (overhyped) 'randomizer'... Did anyone actually test this function?

I almost never change textures (running REXES), not because I am in love with the settings I have, but because if I only want to change, say, the clouds, REX insists on changing (or actually reloading) everything else. And reloading the water textures takes forever.

Maybe I am doing something incorrectly?

I did try random theme and several individual one before settling on a final one. The time to load is too long to be practical when you want just to jump in and fly.

I wonder if the new history function that rex have introduced with all 2012 and in the future 2011 and 2010 will have the same fate. Having too much things available and not obvious to select (well... Do i prefer to fly the real weather of october 3, 2010 or the one for march 12, 2011) does not seem too interesting to me.

Pierre

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

I almost never change textures (running REXES), not because I am in love with the settings I have, but because if I only want to change, say, the clouds, REX insists on changing (or actually reloading) everything else. And reloading the water textures takes forever.

On the Options page you can select all the things you want to install or not. If I only want to install a new sky, I only select the sky and deselect all other things. In version 2 there is a knob to select or deselect everything at once to make that a bit easier. You really do NOT have to install everything again all the time!!!

EDIT

Here is a picture I found of that Options page. Note de Deselect button at the bottom. As you can see everything is 'ticked' apart from the Light themes (that red line was already on this screenshot), which means that everything will be instlaled apart from those Light themes. In your case click on Deselect and then only enable Cloud themes and you are good to go.

rex1.jpg

In REXE and REXE+, I've found it only installs texture sets which you've explicitly selected; REX 2 did not do this selective install. Also, in the options page you can enforce to only install specific textures regardless of what you selected to install; I used this in REX 2.0 to avoid the forever water update. And I've found that if REXE finds a texture that has changed from what it thinks it has already installed, it will automatically load it again (which can be a PITA if you're really into tuning the texture set).

Edit: crud, got beaten to the punch....

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Hi all,

Interesting to read the comments regarding the time to load textures in REX essentials.

I have found the new version of REX essential, I incorrectly called it REX essential overdrive, when infact it's REX essential plus in my first comment actually loads a weather and textures a lot faster than the original Rex essential used to.

Also the options page in J van E's post, nice pic, shows all the options that you want to install when you start up FSX. What I have found reading the REX forum is that once you have loaded these textures, ie water, runways, taxiways, sky themes, lighting etc you can then de-select all options. This doesn't mean that they are not loaded into FSX when you start it, but infact once loaded they stay installed. So de-selecting all options speeds up the texture loading each time you start FSX.

Hope that helps some.

Happy Flying

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

I generally do not change textures unless there is a new update with new textures. Similar to another person, I will occasionally change sky themes, as none of them are completely realistic for all parts of the world. I find the dawn and dusk themes difficult to choose, as you must choose between what is beautiful but rather unrealistic and what is rather dull but realistic.

For the others, I spend the installation day going through every single option, narrowing them down until I only have a few contenders. Then I select the one I like best, and leave it for good unless it starts bothering me.

I'm using that WX textures stuff whenever I change the region I fly to. I only have the cloud textures set to be changed though, so the time to install them is negligible. The cloud variations with the FSX system are very limited (two types?), so that step serves as a fresh breeze, so to speak. ^_^