Sign in to follow this  
chabrier

Inherent flaw of FSX to give too much ground friction?

The SP2 version is updated: http://fs-mp.com/sim1/

Updated (SP2 only at this moment)

Values for braking adjusted, so parking brake holds plane on place.

The adjusted brake values also compensate for the less friction

Grass, gravel also adjusted for the GA flyers.

Rolling friction and sliding friction adjusted to get good results.

Great ! Can't wait for an Accelerator version update !

:yahoo:

I tried to download the Acceleration patch but it came up empty! Is it different to the SP2+Acc file?

Johan, yes there's something wrong at your site: http://fs-mp.com/sim1/ with: sim1_ACCEL_121203.zip

It doesn't load.

Guest FSMP

Great ! Can't wait for an Accelerator version update !

:yahoo:

Johan, yes there's something wrong at your site: http://fs-mp.com/sim1/ with: sim1_ACCEL_121203.zip

It doesn't load.

That is my fault :( Incorrect filename !! Corrected now

sim1_ACCEL_121204.zip

Note: This 1st version for ACCEL is one produced using the 1st version of the patcher Program. ( Not originating from Johan)

Geoff

I think what Bart means is that the link for the Accel dll throws up a "page you requested is not available message"

I can't download the Accel file either from the link Johan provides - http://fs-mp.com/sim...CCEL_121203.zip

Regards

Steve

EDIT - just tried it now after clearing cache and the link works...please ignore my post.

I will be watching this thread with great interest. Early results look promising but I'll wait for a more mature version.

Absolutely GREAT job working this out.

This is why we love community :)

Ok installed this for accel and here is my 2cents

I where on the PMDG 737-700WL and used this tweak.

The aircraft was loaded trough the FMC with a 33% fuel (1/3 load) and 82% payload.

When advancing throttles it was like, the aircraft moved before I touched the controls.

To get some data I advanced throttles again to 40% n1 with the current GS to be 2-3.

When the engines stabalized at 40% n1 I brought them back to idle.

The acceleration stopped at 26 GS.

With throttles at idle (Confirmed using F1 on keyboard) the GS slowly increases nothing bad.

Takeoff seemed realistic.. I really think so.. Wasent any unreal accelleration I think.

Took a turn with 25 GS.. a 80 degree one.. so the "bambi on ice" effect is surely better.. I still think there is something which is way off(not that my turn is anything real, should have been in the grass).. but still seems a bit "icy"

The landing:

I think the landing was great.. Didn't roll unrealistic imo.. ofc im not an NG pilot, or even a pilot at all but I can accept is at pretty real :)

Can someone with real piloting experience comment on this data?

I find it slightly over the top when taxing.... Maybe decrease it just a wee bit.

Taxied a bit in the 737-800 fully loaded fully fueled.

Started moving significally at 24% n1

the 40% n1 stabillization test got me to a gs of 16

The GS decreases slowly at idle.

Again comment from a RW NG pilot would be great to point the 'author' in the right dir.

P3D will need it's own Versions(s), different version (probably) for each version of P3D.

If FSUIPC containing this patcher for FSX is a success, hopefully Peter will extend coverage to P3D.

I have a version of FSUIPC4 ready which maps these SIM1 offsets to FSUIPC4 offsets so they can be read and written via programs like FSInterrogate or Lua plug-ins, even from WideFS clients. I will release it soon after I have included an option to automatically patch Johan's latest values. Both options will be enabled by parameters in the FSUIPC4.INI file and will work without registration if folks really do not want to purchase FSUIPC4.

It will work with FSX RTM, SP1, SP2, Acceleration, and P3D 1.4.

I will announce it here when it is downloadable from my Support Forum (in the Download Links subforum). If not tonight, certainly tomorrow (Wednesday) morning.

Regards

Pete

• Upvote 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Do you think this could fix a similar problem with the float/amphibian planes? For instance the Aerosoft Beaver needs 60% throttle just to make it move on the water. Because of this, the engine overheats after 5 minutes of water-taxiing.

Do you think this could fix a similar problem with the float/amphibian planes? For instance the Aerosoft Beaver needs 60% throttle just to make it move on the water. Because of this, the engine overheats after 5 minutes of water-taxiing.

There are water coefficients there too, but I've not mapped those to FSUIPC offsets I'm afraid. I could add to the auto-patching if someone found good values.

Pete

I'm a little confused. I don't get the skidding behavior people are talking about. Maybe it's because I don't taxi fast, maybe because I'm very careful about winds blowing the tail around, maybe another reason.

There was a thread some weeks ago where people were talking about airliners landing in a crosswind will crab down to the runway, and touch down still at the same crab angle. Once the main wheels are on the ground, they straighten the plane with the rudders and lower the nose wheel.

If there's a lot of side friction, that kind of landing will create problems.

So I'm wondering if maybe someone like PMDG has replaced the sim1 file to allow their aircraft to land properly in a crosswind, and it's messing up other aircraft. Are people still getting the effect if they've never installed a PMDG or other large third party aircraft? Is the date on the sim1 file appropriate for the installation, and not modified by a later aircraft install? Is there a difference between the SP2 and Acceleration sim1 files?

I've skidded on snow and wet pavement, and even on grass, but I don't recall ever skidding on dry pavement.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I have a version of FSUIPC4 ready which maps these SIM1 offsets to FSUIPC4 offsets so they can be read and written via programs like FSInterrogate or Lua plug-ins, even from WideFS clients. I will release it soon after I have included an option to automatically patch Johan's latest values. Both options will be enabled by parameters in the FSUIPC4.INI file and will work without registration if folks really do not want to purchase FSUIPC4.

It will work with FSX RTM, SP1, SP2, Acceleration, and P3D 1.4.

Okay. This is done in version 4.859i of FSUIPC, downloadable now from the Download Links subforum of my Support Forum.

The facilities are enabled by parameters in the INI file. You'll need to look in the list of updates included in the ZIP for these. The patch option has fixed changes, using the latest values posted by Johan, but these can be changed later, as things develop. The read/write facilities via FSUIPC offsets can be used meanwhile for further experimentation. I've included a simple FSI file for fsInterrogate to make it easier to see and change values, though this could do with some work in order to add the correct names for each of the 200 friction + 100 braking values. (fsInterrogate is available in the FSUIPC SDK).

Is there a difference between the SP2 and Acceleration sim1 files?

SIM1 is different in all four valid versions of FSX, and in P3D. However, the coefficients in use appear to be the same throughout (just not in the same places). I am certain PMDG do not change SIM1. It may well be that some aircraft files (AIR and/or CFG) have values set in order to overcome friction or braking deficiencies. Accordingly I have made the patching itself optional, and, using the FSUIPC offsets mapping instead and suitable plug-ins written in Lua, configurable for different aircraft.

Regards

Pete

• Upvote 2

Once again, thanks, Pete. Same goes to Johan. Amazing to see an idea developing. :smile:

Guest FSMP

Pete

For clarification:

(1) Does FSUIPC modify the sim1.dll file itself, or does it patch the memory where sim1.dll resides, when loaded into FSX.

(2) If one is using FSUIPC to effect these changes, should one ensure that their sim1.dll is the original one that got installed by FSX (and not a patched version).

No, it is perfect.

I fly C208 for real in Myanmar and I can tell you that FSX is realistic, at least on that aircraft type.

Maybe other aircraft types (larger jets) are more frictional and flarty.

It is perfect in Acceleration! I am now taxing and maintaining the taxi speed that I expect when using the amount of RPM that I use in both a RW J-3 and C172SP. ~800RPM will generally keep me going at a safe pace with minimal brake use unless I hit a downslope. 1000 is generally too high on flat ground. Generally I range between 700-1000 depending on the slope of the asphalt surface.

Now is it correct to say that the scalars only affect friction along the longitudinal axis, or did I misunderstand earlier statements? I was just trying very hard to groundloop in the A2A J-3 and there is still no way I can find to get it to do so. The cub simply slides nearly perpendicular to the longitudinal axis and then begins to roll straight after a few seconds if I let go of the rudder. I found the default J-3 to be much much better in ground handling in this respect though it had way too little rudder effectiveness and as a result was excessively hard to control. My point is, is there a scalar that will allow one to modify friction in the lateral axis?

I just remembered I have to try out turf. I always found turf to require way too low a power setting to start rolling.

Great job!!