Sign in to follow this  
Sunaru

Would any AVSIMmer recommend any of these planes?

Eek I see that. I just think its a little too slow for my type if flying. I've gotta get that TBM, Flight king air, and the NDbk17 for XP. And the nifty 50 for my 7D... Ugh money

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Eek I see that. I just think its a little too slow for my type if flying. I've gotta get that TBM, Flight king air, and the NDbk17 for XP. And the nifty 50 for my 7D... Ugh money

Ryan we like the same kinds if prop planes, fast mostly lol

I think the Islander will be too slow for you

It's like the Diamond Katana speed. I bought that from Aerosoft. Probably the most systems deep/immersive addon in GA history. But so freekin slow. I never fly it anymore. Too bad marcel didn't do a diamond star.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The Islander is on sale at JustFlight right now for 32% off. Just a heads up. :)<br /><br />Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

This isn't on your list but I highly recommend the Quality Wings BAE 146 Collection. It flies very nice with my CH Yoke & Throttles which in my opinion was always lacking in FSX. Predictably the aircraft reacted too much in the pitch axis. It's very predictable, has fun systems, and your purchase is guaranteed by the publisher. Let us know what you come up with.

No flight simmer worth his salt should be without the Islander. -_-

Straight and to the point. Forget those other birds until you've got some time on the Islander. It has sound, feel, and looks that set it apart.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

I'm so sorry I didn't reply to this thread sooner; I'm surprised I'm getting so much response!

I've bought the Islander for VFR flying -although I still haven't flown in it what with the Q400 and all the other things I bought in these 3 short weeks of my return to flight simulation-  and I've made up a short list (based on what I said about wanting 3 options per stretch) of all the planes I intend to buy. Thank you all again for the replies, they've been a big help so far in navigating between the good and the awful FSX add-ons!

The list, for anyone interested:

Free Flight (VFR & other short distances/GA)
- BN2 Islander
- Lancair Legacy
- Cessna Caravan

Feederliners
- Embraer Regional Jet Collection
- QualityWings Avro Collection
- Majestic Dash-8 Q400

"Smaller sized" Mainline
- PMDG 737NGX (737-8)
- Airbus X Evo/FSLabs Airbus (A320)
- Maddog 2010 (MD-80)

"Medium-sized" Mainline
- QualityWings 757 Collection
- FSLabs Concorde X
- QualityWings 787 Collection

"Big" Mainline
- PMDG 747-400 v2
- PMDG MD-11
- I actually still need a 3rd suggestion for this, an A340 perhaps?

It's just a pity there's so few Airbus add-ons (with a decent quality)...
With regards to the list: do PMDG planes work on Windows 8?

"Big" Mainline
- PMDG 747-400 v2
- PMDG MD-11
- I actually still need a 3rd suggestion for this, an A340 perhaps?

Some people would say the Level-D 767 would work too. But to be honest, why not just wait for the PMDG 777? It'll come sooner than the 744. Or just get the 747X as it stands, which is still a great addon. Although the MD-11 is just as good if not better.

Some people would say the Level-D 767 would work too. But to be honest, why not just wait for the PMDG 777? It'll come sooner than the 744. Or just get the 747X as it stands, which is still a great addon. Although the MD-11 is just as good if not better.

Is the PMDG 747-400 still decent though? The last release was in 2008, plus PMDG is planning to make a 747v2, so how old/dated/useless is it now? Plus, are there really no long range Airbus simulators out there? And is the MD-11 any fun?

There's Wilco's Airbus series vol2, which includes various variants of the A330 and A340, but it's old and I never liked their models too much. Then there's the BBS A330, currently in kind of a beta stage, already on sale, though, and from what I hear it's not that bad, but not perfect (at least at the moment). IIRC, Aerosoft and FSL are also at least considering to make the long haul Airbuses after they finish their other A32x projects.

Besides, if you're not that much into system depth (don't think so, since you're considering PMDG planes, though) you could try Thomas Ruth's freeware Airbus series in the library. They're more like default planes, but really nicely modelled, and he covered nearly all long range models from the A300-B4(the first Airbus ever to take to the skies) to the A340-600, including military, freighter and tanker versions. IMO really worth a try.

Regarding the MD-11: I do really like it, one might say that the exterior model isn't as good as some of the more recent models, but it still is one of my favorite planes I think it still looks great, it's just too bad that I don't usually have to time to fly it. It is a really interesting plane, highly automated, and not your typical Boeing airliner, but if you fly the tutorial flight once or twice you'll not have any problems with it.

http://www.fsfiles.org/forum/threads/mad-catz-saitek-flight-simulator-cockpit.266/ for some small twins including the BN-2 Islander

You may want to look at the feelThere Ejets V2.0.  This is an improvement over the Wilco version 1.0 and is onsale for 50% often. Avsim Gold Star winner also.

I have several Wilco add-ons on my backup drives but nothing that I fly anymore.  They just failed to keep up with the times.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Sunaru, on 05 May 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

Is the PMDG 747-400 still decent though? The last release was in 2008, plus PMDG is planning to make a 747v2, so how old/dated/useless is it now? Plus, are there really no long range Airbus simulators out there? And is the MD-11 any fun?

It is old, and the graphics may be a bit dated, but it's certainly not useless. Keep in mind it's really the only good simulation of the 744 we have. Regarding the Airbus, read Florians post. Also, the MD-11 is a really great aircraft, an interesting new approach to systems if you are a mainly Boeing pilot, and if you can spring for the McPhat liveries, it does look really good.