Sign in to follow this  
Franz007

Impact of PMDG's B777 on X-Plane-community?

Protection to PMDG I believe with the licensing issues!   But to be fair, PMDG NEVER said that it would work (even with "cheating" the P3D setup), so buying that is like hoping that it would work in FS9, not good idea unless the developer CONFIRMS it.

Kind regards.

+1

At no stage did they say its for P3D.

Some people do worry me.

I strongly recommend the JS31. It's worth the money just for the light reflections off the glass in the cockpit.

Ha yes those reflections are tempting

Why has the JS31 not been mentioned much on this thread?

I have it and believe me, it's one excellent pair of wings. Reflections, ice and rain animation, cockpit lighting, you name it it's there and beautifully done. Very FPS friendly. I love it!!! 

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I have it and believe me, it's one excellent pair of wings. Reflections, ice and rain animation, cockpit lighting, you name it it's there and beautifully done. Very FPS friendly. I love it!!! 

it also has snow accumulation on wings

At no stage did they say its for P3D.

Some people do worry me.

My guess when some saw the "FSX ONLY" requirement and that they would NOT support P3D, they assumed it meant everything before FSX wouldn't run it, but it might still run under P3D, just don't cry to PDMG if anything breaks. It wouldn't be the first time, after all PDMG's earlier NGX worked ok in both, so some people were willing to risk that. They just didn't expect kill-switch code in the plane itself.

(Note, I only fly XP10, so I don't care either way... just saying this was probably the mindset)

My guess when some saw the "FSX ONLY" requirement and that they would NOT support P3D, they assumed it meant everything before FSX wouldn't run it, but it might still run under P3D, just don't cry to PDMG if anything breaks. It wouldn't be the first time, after all PDMG's earlier NGX worked ok in both, so some people were willing to risk that. They just didn't expect kill-switch code in the plane itself.

(Note, I only fly XP10, so I don't care either way... just saying this was probably the mindset)

PMDG said specifically after the NGX release, that future releases would have code to prevent it's use on P3D, this on advice from their attorneys on liability issues when used on a sim platform intended for professional use. They also said, future updates to existing products, will also have this blocking code. So far there have been no updates since. The NGX SP2 is likely to have this block, when released.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Regarding the JS32 (and: it's 32! 32! Not 31!), just be careful to read the manual. Especially the part about joystick and axis:

1. When the Jetstream is loaded, you can not change your joystick axis settings.

2. If the "control lock" lever in the cockpit is in locked position, and you leave X-Plane, you lose your axis settings. You need to load another aircraft before leaving X-Plane, OR you may simply leave the lever in unlocked position.

These are no bugs, but features, to simulate the control lock of the real plane.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

PMDG said specifically after the NGX release, that future releases would have code to prevent it's use on P3D, this on advice from their attorneys on liability issues when used on a sim platform intended for professional use. They also said, future updates to existing products, will also have this blocking code. So far there have been no updates since. The NGX SP2 is likely to have this block, when released.

They are not the only Dev that has done this. Some of the others though offer a P3D version for an extra cost of course. I think I read a post that PMDG mentioned they were in talks with a commercial entity that does use P3D, so it would only make sense to start locking in their products.

But we need add ons that are at the same level with the PMDG T7. And we need them soon.

Does FSX has add ons on the same level with PMDG? There are many good ones but none like PMDG. 

XP10 was, after lots of years, the first release of X-Plane that really was widely noticed and is the first version that really tries to be a commercial success and to position itself for future developments. XP10 builds the technical foundation for XP11 and later. Such a big step like the transition from 32 bit to 64 bit -- which caused lots of effort for many payware producers and probably delayed development of new products -- won't happen again so fast.

So, if PMDG is starting now, they won't have wasted their time, but can simply continue in XP11. If they are smart, they also are in contact with Laminar and influence XP development (like other authors do to get the features they need).

I think that XP10 will be here for looong time! As Ben said, the release cycles are now released much slower than the previous versions (like XP9). My believe is that since Xp10 is only 1.5 years old, will be here for probably another 4-5 years. In that time frame, I think that we will see PMDG releases in XP10 run.

Still though we are going to see a lot of improvements since they work on the OpenGL modernization. That will give newer video cards better performance. And more things that will make XP even better.  

LES_signature_300px.png.fb92590eee91bc5f31a172293bd6014f.png

I think that XP10 will be here for looong time! As Ben said, the release cycles are now released much slower than the previous versions (like XP9). My believe is that since Xp10 is only 1.5 years old, will be here for probably another 4-5 years. In that time frame, I think that we will see PMDG releases in XP10 run.

Would be nice (because otherwise we all needed to pay for a full version again.) On the other hand, there are some developers who already talk about things they need that will only be possible in X-Plane 11. So, as always many different opinions ...

PMDG ceasing FSX development would be akin to Ford stopping truck production. lol

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 2

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Would probably benefit Xplane to drop OpenGL and switch over to DX11. Maybe offer Linux users a separate version. 

Would probably benefit Xplane to drop OpenGL and switch over to DX11. Maybe offer Linux users a separate version. 

Don't forget that X-Plane initially was a MacOS application! And at least this won't change for sure. (While the Linux support is dropping more and more, esp. from the addon developers...)

Besides, providing 2 versions using 2 different libraries would be a development and support nightmare.

Don't forget that X-Plane initially was a MacOS application! And at least this won't change for sure. (While the Linux support is dropping more and more, esp. from the addon developers...)

Besides, providing 2 versions using 2 different libraries would be a development and support nightmare.

Was standing by for that one. Just my $.02, might be time to move from the alternative Sim to the Mainstream since MS has left it wide open. I think more of the established P3Ds might find it an easier transition. I know I would enjoy some of the graphical benefits like undocking windows.

I think more of the established P3Ds might find it an easier transition. I know I would enjoy some of the graphical benefits like undocking windows.

People use FSX/P3D because of the aircraft and the scenery, and because they spent a great deal of money which they don't want to see wasted. As long as X-Plane only has medium to low-quality scenery addons (despite some exceptions, like TruScenery) and medium to low-quality aircraft addons (despite, maybe, the 777, the CRJ-200 and now hopefully the Saab 340), most of them will stay with FSX/P3D.

All the graphical stuff or interface features that may be lacking currently in X-Plane are not due to OpenGL. It's because graphics and usability only recently have begun to get important for X-Plane.

The change of X-Plane's look and feel to something FSX/P3D users are used to is not a question of OpenGL vs. DirectX, and not a question of Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac.

You can also use OpenGL for great graphics and good interface, and you can do it on all platform. If it's not done, it is mostly because Austin does not want it (because he sometimes seems to have a strange understanding of what is generally usable).