Sign in to follow this  
Franz007

Impact of PMDG's B777 on X-Plane-community?

It took me about 5 minutes to read the FSX DX10 tweak guide and 1 minute to tweak the fsx.cfg. After migrated to Win7 and DX10 two years ago, I never experience OOM or crash. I am using my 5 years old Q6600 and enjoy FSX at solid 30fps most of the time.

You don't need $1,200 for a new system to run FSX, that sim (tweaked) runs just fine on my $800 custom built rig.

That may be true, but what I'm looking for and planning to buy, believe me its around $1200. The processor alone would be around 500+, add the mainboard plus ram and a gtx. It all adds up!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Leel, do like me... re-install FSX!

Keep X-Plane 10, buy the Saab ---> It's going to be probably the best aircraft add-on ever produced for X-Plane , and there's that 737 comming too !!!! (well Felis stuff is top-notch too!!!)

Well I have to install FSX to test something so I might as well just leave it on. Ill use the T7, A320 and King Air in FSX and everything else in P3D, I guess that's what I have to do for my enjoyment.

Why has the JS31 not been mentioned much on this thread? Is it not as good as his CRJ?

Lee

I'm scared of investing money in XP

Why should you? Not that you have to invest in it, but I don't see XP going away or being abandoned in any way, on the contrary, LR is working hard on new and more features.

I would be scared to invest in FSX (I'm glad I din't invest more then $250) as for what I can see the FSX market is starting to get quiet a bit saturated with all the gazillion options out there, and while FSX is being kept alive by the 3pd's for now, eventually 3pd's will reach a point in which they will no longer be able to provide additional features that new technology will have available, FSX 32-bit engine has reached it limits and there is nothing anybody else can do.

I think that once XP matures enough, it will be the good viable alternative. I foresee 64-bit becoming a standard in the future, once this starts happening, FSX will be out of the equation and unless P3d changes their (EULA) and start thinking about 64-bit, it will be out too.

just my 2 cents and of course, I may be totally wrong.

Carlos 

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Why should you? Not that you have to invest in it, but I don't see XP going away or being abandoned in any way, on the contrary, LR is working hard on new and more features.

I would be scared to invest in FSX (I'm glad I din't invest more then $250) as for what I can see the FSX market is starting to get quiet a bit saturated with all the gazillion options out there, and while FSX is being kept alive by the 3pd's for now, eventually 3pd's will reach a point in which they will no longer be able to provide additional features that new technology will have available, FSX engine has reached it limits and there is nothing anybody else can do.

I think that once XP matures enough, it will be the good viable alternative. I foresee 64-bit becoming a standard in the future, once this starts happening, FSX will be out of the equation and unless P3d changes their (EULA) and start thinking about 64-bit, it will be out too.

just my 2 cents

Carlos

Hi Carlos

It's simply because I'm not sure if I will. Be completely satisfied even with a payware plane..BUT I know I have to get one to be fair to XP. So I do plan on it

Hi Carlos

It's simply because I'm not sure if I will. Be completely satisfied even with a payware plane..BUT I know I have to get one to be fair to XP. So I do plan on it

Hi Leel, you can always wait until XP matures enough.

I see XPX's T7 is on sale for 25% off, I never noticed it was $85! Those T7s sure are an expensive lot.

I might be completely off track, but I have a hard time comparing both FSX and XP based on both of them being at version 10. When will we see the next version of FSX? Is there any indication that XP is dead at v10? What is the size of the Laminar Research development team compared to what used to be ACES at Microsoft? FSX. I want to say the approach to releases, patches and beta testing remains different between the two products. Within XP 10 there has been 65 updated products which include releases, betas and release candidates. Just between 10.20 Beta 7 and 10.22 RC2 there were over 100 fixes or additional features updates to the major release and hundreds more since version 9. I am not too familiar with the public betas for XP except that you can download them and use them before Laminar Research finalizes the patches. Does this process allow for users to provide feedback? If so, I would say that even if XP is considered an immature product or something that is lacking things that should be in a flight simulator, then the issues are certainly being identified and addressed. 

Keith Guillory

It will not have an impact on XPX but it will have some impact on user habits. Those who use both sims might spend some more time with FSX now. That might change if we will see a very strong, high quality release for XPX.

It might have an impact on the XPX T7 sales. IMHO the users of both sims have a hard time to find reasons for the XPX T7. I know, the CTD discussions will start now again but I know of many that don't have them.

I wish that XPX will have a strong futurem, But we need add ons that are at the same level with the PMDG T7. And we need them soon. Sure it's not fair to compare XPX to FDX because the development cycle is much shorter. But the user does not care. The user ( and paying customer) wants to have the most fun out of it. Is'nt that the same situation we had with XP9? It was good news when PMDG announced XP activity but I believe XPX is near the middle of it's life now. Giving the long development time of a PMDG product it could be too late. Maybe XP11 is in development then and we all can start over again. That would sent more users back to FSX or P3D.

Maybe XP11 is in development then and we all can start over again.

I don't think so. Despite many changes over time, X-Plane has never been about starting all over again -- you can still use your scenery and aircraft from XP 9 and even 8 and 7 in XP10, and this probably won't change in XP11 -- while at the same time having new possibilities. So, more and more I tend to think of XP10 as some kind of intermediate release -- similar to what Windows Vista was compared to Windows 7.

XP10 was, after lots of years, the first release of X-Plane that really was widely noticed and is the first version that really tries to be a commercial success and to position itself for future developments. XP10 builds the technical foundation for XP11 and later. Such a big step like the transition from 32 bit to 64 bit -- which caused lots of effort for many payware producers and probably delayed development of new products -- won't happen again so fast.

So, if PMDG is starting now, they won't have wasted their time, but can simply continue in XP11. If they are smart, they also are in contact with Laminar and influence XP development (like other authors do to get the features they need).

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Leel, do like me... re-install FSX!

Keep X-Plane 10, buy the Saab ---> It's going to be probably the best aircraft add-on ever produced for X-Plane , and there's that 737 comming too !!!! (well Felis stuff is top-notch too!!!)

jcomm's right! :good:

Robert Randazzo in his last video, I think it was a speech at a flight sim conference, mentioned PMDG's strong relationship with Austin and that part of his team was working on making an XP10 version of one of their products.

I personally think, once they announce and release it, it will be a big boost for XP10. I tend to fly FSX 75% of the time, and XP10 25%. FSX needs an update to 64-bit and DX10/11 compatibility. With ACES broken up, I don't see that happening, and I don't think P3D will have a gaming department or figure out its differences with PMDG. 

XP10 is a very smooth experience on my system. I've been using the Flight Factor 777. It fall short of PMDG on full systems realism and visuals like wingflex, but you have to remember XP10 is newer and still developing.

The next few months, I will dedicate solely to the PMDG 777. It's a fantastic product.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I would be scared to invest in FSX (I'm glad I din't invest more then $250) as for what I can see the FSX market is starting to get quiet a bit saturated with all the gazillion options out there, and while FSX is being kept alive by the 3pd's for now, eventually 3pd's will reach a point in which they will no longer be able to provide additional features that new technology will have available, FSX 32-bit engine has reached it limits and there is nothing anybody else can do.

just my 2 cents and of course, I may be totally wrong.

Carlos 

:clapping: :drinks:

I might get the Saab, although I'm still meaning to get the JS31

I strongly recommend the JS31. It's worth the money just for the light reflections off the glass in the cockpit.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea