Sign in to follow this  
Kattz

What is the best terrain for FSX?

Can I please get some help? I'm looking for the best terrain for FSX. I don't fly GA, mostly tubeliners. FS Global looks interesting. Sorry, got off track. Not looking for best trees, houses, auto gen per se, but looking for best terrain mesh for contours, heights, etc. As far as I understand, orbx global is putting lighting and trees and auto gen buildings in and it looks nice. But is it laying their effects over the default terrain mesh? The stuff orbx is doing in the Pacific Northwest looks awesome, but is it just flopped over default contours? Sorry, not picking on orbx, looks fantastic. How about any other products? What is the new ASN doing, just textures? Still looks awesome, but again, looking for hills, valleys, mountains that look like the real thing.

So, advice please?

Thanks in advance.

Kattz

Ps my wife bought me a FDS CDU for Christmas. I love her!

Take a look into Tile Proxy, it seems perfect for your type of flying. Tons of videos on Youtube that shows it off really well.

From what I've seen, it looks awesome from high up.

There's a section here at Avsim you should check out regarding it.

jime

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

FS global 2010 is a great mesh program. I have heard from some that it can cause issues working with other programs. Not sure which ones but it was suggested with my new computer build to not install it. 

I had it installed on my first computer and I guess it did what it was supposed to. It made mountains look more pronounced which was awesome but I have been flying mostly jets so it didn't really benefit me that much. When somebody said it can interfere with other programs I figured it best to not re-install it and I really don't miss not having it installed. 

Orbx scenery regions (like PNW) come with custom mesh... not sure about FTX Global..

Bert

Orbx scenery regions (like PNW) come with custom mesh... not sure about FTX Global..

No FTXG does not include mesh, just textures, lights and autogen. I use FSGenesis for mesh and land class (OpenLC should eliminate the need for this) (Have the galaxy membership)

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I'd highly recommend Orbx PNW. It's pretty much "as good as it gets" with FSX while still maintaining a decent frame rate.

It's also a very fun place to fly ;)

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

I did an extensive review of FS Altitude for AVSIM awhile back. It's what I use, especially for wide expanses of identical territory like the farm fields of the Midwest USA or deserts anywhere. It is photoreal, and useful only for what it was designed for: flying high. The review has all the details. Any solution to date is going to involve a compromise. FS Altitude is the best solution for me. I have Western (includes Mexico) and Eastern USA, and Australia. I have had some really stunning flights, especially over Australia. No non-photo depiction could reveal the amazing dry lakes of Australia, or many other natural wonders. In FSX, it would just be beige sand. Also, I can't stand the repeating pattern of identical farm tiles over the Midwest. FS Altitude takes care of that eyesore. Other places, like much of Europe, which don't have large flat areas of fields or deserts, I don't need FS Altitude to be happy.

Just Google the FS Altitude's site for a look. They link back to my review. Or search for the review directly including my name. If there's an easier way to search reviews now from in-site, I'm afraid I don't know what it is, maybe you do. I'm sorry, but I don't know how to link with the new forum. I had written a longer post and tried to link to the review, but got some sort of box I couldn't make happy, nor could I get rid of it except by dumping my post.

Your best mesh options are FSGlobal 2010 and FSGenesis. I don't have either so I can't accurately comment or compare. With FSGenesis you can buy individual regions which I believe can be up to a 10m resolution for some places, while FSGlobal covers the whole globe but is of a lower resolution. Somebody feel free to correct me.

You also asked about "ASN" which is Active Sky Next, and that's a weather engine. No textures or anything like that.

Ok, thanks, I'll look into these items.

There should be many.

But IF YOU WANT PHOTOSCENERY MY SUGGESTION IS FS EARTH TILES , I AM CURRENTLY DOING BERLIN and its huge atm. [inappropriate word] i haven't slept the whole night yikes screwed at work today :)

Edited by firehawk44
Removed your inappropriate word. Please do not swear.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Not exactly sure why people keep mentioning outdated software such as FSGlobal2010. The most recent releases for mesh from Pilots is the FSGlobal Ultimate series. 

-Damien

Not exactly sure why people keep mentioning outdated software such as FSGlobal2010. The most recent releases for mesh from Pilots is the FSGlobal Ultimate series. 

Sure, FSGlobal2010 is "outdated".

Don't run it on your FSX, or instead of proper continents you will see the Pangaea.