Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

FTX: Global VECTOR Released

They will work together just fine indeed!

Agreed, they technically 'work' together but there is the issue of the TERRAIN.CFG hack you need to do to get the FTX Global vector road lights with UTX .

Does FTX Vector provide a similar 'illuminated' roadways that UTX adds to the night lighting? That's one thing I really like about the merger of FTX Global and UTX.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Here's my initial take. I installed FTX Global Vector in both FSX (with UTX already installed for USA and Caribbean) and P3d2 (no UTX of course).

1. In general (but see #2.), there is a slight hit (~10-15%) to frame rates in P3d2 and not much at all in FSX, which is not surprising since by itself UTX's causes about a 10-20% drop in fps over the default data. FTXGV doesn't add any more detail over UTX except in urban areas, so they seem to affect performance at the same magnitude.
  2. In dense urban areas, between the AI Traffic and FTXGV's road mania, in P3d2, you can kiss any hope of getting a consistent 30 fps, without seriously reducing the P3d2 image quality settings.
  3.  I've noticed a couple of anomalies, where small lakes and ponds are split into multiple polygons and some of the polygons are black, meaning the texture is missing due to an incorrect land class. Else, I haven't seen any of the other problems that have been reported, but I haven't had FTXGV installed long enough to say that they won't show up.
  4. Shorelines, rivers, roads, etc., in geographic areas that I am personally familiar with are substantially improved over the default FSX and P3d2 vector data. No shock there, since the default data is Etch-a-sketch quality. However, for FSX I really can't see much difference at all (except in dense urban areas) between FTXGV and UTX.

If you have UTX regions installed where you fly with FSX, there doesn't seem to be any real point in buying FTXGV. On the other hand, until UTX decides to allow the use of its product in P3d2, you don't really have any choice other than to buy FTXGV. Keep in mind also, that this is release 1.0 of FTXGV. UTX USA is already up to version 1.6 and it took that much time and that many updates to fix all the bugs in just that one UTX region.

Has anyone been able to get the 10% discount to work for owners of FTXG? Orbx said that FSS would automatically apply the discount, but I got all the way to the "Confirm Order" page, and the price is unchanged. Just curious if others have had any luck.

Don't get me wrong about UTX - it has provided substantial benefits for me over the years but I'm all for moving forward

Will there not be a new version of UTX in the future?

Agreed, they technically 'work' together but there is the issue of the TERRAIN.CFG hack you need to do to get the FTX Global vector road lights with UTX .

Does FTX Vector provide a similar 'illuminated' roadways that UTX adds to the night lighting? That's one thing I really like about the merger of FTX Global and UTX.

UTX lights had no hit for me and I prefer them so I used them with UTX when I had it. Looked fantastic! Not sure why everyone is so freaked out about making Vector lights work with UTX vector roads. Not sure it was really ever needed TBH.

C.

Where are all the fantastic screenshots ? I just saw a couple.

UTX lights had no hit for me and I prefer them so I used them with UTX when I had it. Looked fantastic! Not sure why everyone is so freaked out about making Vector lights work with UTX vector roads. Not sure it was really ever needed TBH.

C.

Each to his own... but you never said if the FTX Vector roads look as fantastic at night as the UTX ones did?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I'm not saying a lot of work didn't go into this but... I still can't fathom spending $260 for Global + Vector when I only fly in maybe 5% of the world.. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

My two cents:

I have all of UTX regions. I was so impressed with FTXG that when I saw VECTOR I uninstalled all of UTX right away and installed VECTOR.

Ordinarily I wait for early adopters, but I felt this would be an A) enhancement and  B ) work well with FTXG. I cannot quantify if VECTORS works well with FTXG, but I do know I should have waited to purchase and install Vectors. UTX has been worked on and improved for years and did a good job. With Vectors, I'm getting trees and all sorts of things out of place.

It's not OrbX's fault. It's mine for not researching.

The only hope I have is that the updates for Vector will be fast and accurately fixes issues.

Bottom Line: IMO, If you have all of the updated UTX versions, in the area you fly the most, you may want to wait on purchasing VECTOR until the LC starts showing up.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

The problem with Vector, is its a all or nothing install. If you wan't to keep UTX for US and Europe but use Vector for the rest of the world, you can't.

Is that a fact? If so it's a deal breaker for me. I was looking forward to enhancing the areas UTX does not currently cover while continuing to use UTX where it exists.

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

The problem with Vector, is its a all or nothing install. If you wan't to keep UTX for US and Europe but use Vector for the rest of the world, you can't.

I totally agree.

If there was a "continent switcher" where you can enable or disable vector regions, it would be a great benefit.

Intel i9 12900K, Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z690-A Wifi D4, GSkill 32gb, RTX 4090

Regards Chris Kathi

So, will this work with FSGlobal 2010 w/SP1 or do I need to start saving up for an upgrade to the FTX Compatible one?