Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

19JAN14 - 777-300ER and 777-200LR/F SP1 Update

Never asked for your help.

"Any ways to get around this since you seem to know PMDG`s working and product release so well?"

You asked me to solve a problem for you.  That's asking for help.  The above is your sentence, after all.

Was just highlighting the slow and almost no usable information given by PMDG that was all.  It`s not about over promising. Imagine on next monday I went back to work and I told my client. "The work goes on".

No prizes to guess where the next contract award will go.

It really is about overpromising, though.  If I say A, B, C, and D are going to be in the release, then they'd better be in there.  If not, then I'm going to deal with a firestorm.  On the other hand, I could say A and B will be in it, but C and D will not.  Then I have to deal with the firestorm of "why aren't C and D going to make it???"  Finally, you could also say A and B will be in it, and not mention C and D, in an effort to give info about A and B, but not commit to C and D.  Then I have to deal with the conspiracy theories that you are so eloquently bringing to light here.

Depending on the client and the situation "work goes on" is a perfectly acceptable answer.  Since I'm helping to manage a project specifically handling software releases and fixes thereto, I'll add a little gravity to the fact that I've said it, and we're still on the contract.  Software got released with issues, and this was the end of the discussion the other day:

"The issues listed on the problem tracking report are under investigation.  It is unknown which of those on the list will be resolved prior to the next release."

Why?  We're working on finding the solutions rather than being bothered too much by trying lock ourselves into fixes.  The only difference is that the next build of software has a fixed delivery date and we have hundreds of people working this project.  Still, chances are that the fixes that will or will not be included in it will not be known until shortly before that date, with the others pushed to future releases.  We have the manpower and budget to have multiple releases like that.

Kyle Rodgers

IN that case thank you for your kind advise. Seems like everything is FS X`s fault. Press this button it crashes every now and then. FS X fault.... Plane crashes FS X at some airport....FS X fault....Convenient answer though. After all it seems like the group that developed FS X arent around to defend themselves. 

Anyways maybe you are right. It maybe is an acceptable answer in the world of software programming but it sure isn`t in the construction industry. I have tried to deflect our client`s enquiries with PMDGish style answers on progress but we will be having an emergency meeting next tuesday with the client.  What a thing to have right after the CNY holidays over here in ASIA!

Regards,

Darren

"Any ways to get around this since you seem to know PMDG`s working and product release so well?"

You asked me to solve a problem for you.  That's asking for help.  The above is your sentence, after all.

It really is about overpromising, though.  If I say A, B, C, and D are going to be in the release, then they'd better be in there.  If not, then I'm going to deal with a firestorm.  On the other hand, I could say A and B will be in it, but C and D will not.  Then I have to deal with the firestorm of "why aren't C and D going to make it???"  Finally, you could also say A and B will be in it, and not mention C and D, in an effort to give info about A and B, but not commit to C and D.  Then I have to deal with the conspiracy theories that you are so eloquently bringing to light here.

Depending on the client and the situation "work goes on" is a perfectly acceptable answer.  Since I'm helping to manage a project specifically handling software releases and fixes thereto, I'll add a little gravity to the fact that I've said it, and we're still on the contract.  Software got released with issues, and this was the end of the discussion the other day:

"The issues listed on the problem tracking report are under investigation.  It is unknown which of those on the list will be resolved prior to the next release."

Why?  We're working on finding the solutions rather than being bothered too much by trying lock ourselves into fixes.  The only difference is that the next build of software has a fixed delivery date and we have hundreds of people working this project.  Still, chances are that the fixes that will or will not be included in it will not be known until shortly before that date, with the others pushed to future releases.  We have the manpower and budget to have multiple releases like that.

IN that case thank you for your kind advise. Seems like everything is FS X`s fault. Press this button it crashes every now and then. FS X fault.... Plane crashes FS X at some airport....FS X fault....Convenient answer though. After all it seems like the group that developed FS X arent around to defend themselves.

It's caused by cycling through the tower view and the program not being able to find a tower within the coded range.  Load the default Cessna in the middle of the Atlantic and try it too, you'll see it regardless of who makes the aircraft.

...but sure, let's continue the petulant rant against PMDG, since everything's clearly their fault, and they're just deflecting.  :rolleyes:

Kyle Rodgers

It crashed FS X near Brisbane International airport in one of the cases. Although rare but it can be irritating when you just start your final approach into YMML for instance after a 14 hours non stop from the middle east it crashes FS X just after you set up for your final landing. THose two airports do not seem to be in the middle of "nowhere".

Regards,

Darren

It's caused by cycling through the tower view and the program not being able to find a tower within the coded range.  Load the default Cessna in the middle of the Atlantic and try it too, you'll see it regardless of who makes the aircraft.

...but sure, let's continue the petulant rant against PMDG, since everything's clearly their fault, and they're just deflecting.  :rolleyes:

I think we should stop the feeding...

I don't see why people don't have patience. We're all in the same boat. We all want now now now. But we're not getting it now now now. We wait. When it's released, we'll have a party and enjoy it. Where's the fun and enjoyment in life if you have nothing to look forward to?  

I think we all need to calm down a little. I understand people's frustrations on how long it's taking. We paid for a product in good faith that it would work satifactory in fsx, unfortunately for some it doesn't. I don't think it should have taken this long personally but I'm not Thr boss. But on the other hand pmdg have made their minds up on when it will be released and no amount of pestering will make them change their minds. Hopefully it will be out by the end of feb so everyone can enjoy the 777.

Thanks

Anthony Slattery.

Wow guys, The drama here is worse than the regional airline industry drama!

Kyle, do not worry: your life at [insert regional name here] will seem like a cakewalk compared to your beta experience here!

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Kyle, do not worry: your life at [insert regional name here] will seem like a cakewalk compared to your beta experience here!

haha - no joke!

My lives at various airlines were always interesting, but nothing like this.

Kyle Rodgers

While all of this "back and forth" is very enlightening, I do look forward to the Service Pack and the 300ER. I currently do not have a properly working 77L. Normally, I would be quite upset with an "every day product" bought from the store that did not work properly. With regards to the PMDG 777, I can't honestly say that it is an "every day product".

On one hand, I do believe that it is the customers right, after having purchased a product, to receive it in proper working order OR to be able to exchange it for one that is. However, being that exchanging is pointless in this case and that there are many unforeseen variables in the software business, I trust that PMDG is working diligently to resolve some, if not all of the issues that have been realized. Especially the "freezing" issue.  

Cheers,

;-)... i´m pretty sure that we´ll hear some news this weekend...! REALLY.... ;)

;-)... i´m pretty sure that we´ll hear some news this weekend...! REALLY.... ;)

Lets hope you are right...

Don't you guys know you're supposed to double whatever pmdg says. If they say two weeks it's prob gonna be 4 or more. :)

Tony Slattery