Sign in to follow this  
Rob Ainscough

Wall of shame for those that hacked P3DV2.1?

Apparently the right mouse click crash is due to a hacked (aka unlicensed) version of P3DV2.1?

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=5577

See Wes's response.

Is this for real?  I know people steal software all the time (it's a huge problem for software creators such as myself and others and we go to great lengths in identification and prevention) and there are many hacks out there, but to ask for support??  Is $10 to try really too much to ask?  Heck, isn't a gallon of gas in Europe about $10 or more?

It's stuff like this that makes me want to change my profession ... but to mess with a company that has US Military Defense contracts seems pretty stupid (if this is accurate, which it appears to be based on Wes's response).

Rob

• Upvote 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The stupidity of some people knows no bounds....

Yes... it's for real and it's a sad statement to our society in general. The particular site that hosts the 'issue' is in a country that believes that software does not belong to the individual(s) who wrote it but rather is 'open' for all to grab and use as they see fit. In short, they don't believe in such a thing as a copyright.

I wonder if a company that has US military defense contracts is allowed to be more aggressive on their detection and countermeasures ... I can think of a million ways to paralyze those that participate in this "activity" ... fight fire with fire.  I know for most US companies that produce/sell software to the public, it's illegal for them to introduce more aggressive countermeasures other than triggering an automatic uninstall.  However, could LM deem this as military espionage and use that as a grounds for much more aggressive countermeasures to be performed on the offending PC?

Huh, I was wondering why I couldn't duplicate the issue!

• Upvote 1

What happens when they engage in 'agressive countermeasures' to someone with a valid license? I'd imagine corporate counsel would be all over this.

Cheers!

Luke

• Upvote 2

I've found 4 reports of this in a brief search, not sure I want to get into linking them here, but yeah, pretty shady.

What happens when they engage in 'agressive countermeasures' to someone with a valid license?

Under a military context (which is what I'm suggesting here with Lockheed Martin) those "mistakes" would be causalities of war and should consider themselves lucky that only their PC got wiped.  Of course the countermeasures would need to be robust and very well tested so that any 'mistakes' would be extremely rare indeed ... certainly within acceptable limits.

No, please, no witch hunts. This is the last thing we need here.

The wall of shame exists for a reason.

could LM deem this as military espionage

Espionage of what exactly? Stop being silly.

This is almost as entertaining as the interesting claims that some people are reporting seeing large amounts of outgoing net traffic and webcams mysteriously switching on when running P3D, leading some flight sim conspiracy theorists to believe that as Lockheed are a big defence company the NSA is all over P3D.

To be honest I'd get much more worked up about the 160 billion dollar budget overrun Lockheed is currently running with the F-35.... paid for by the taxpayer in no less than nine different countries.

• Upvote 5

Espionage of what exactly? Stop being silly.

Reverse engineering of software.  

Not being silly, this is a real problem and it's scope is considerably larger than LM's 160 Billion overrun on an aircraft (when has any aircraft ever not been over budget?).

For example, our (my companies) web and SQL servers are under 24/7 attack (I have endless logs proving this) ... every web page, every input field, every port, you name it, is being attacked with garbage input, bogus user/password attempts and more to see if they can trigger and exception or gain access.  In the US we waste Trillions of US dollars fighting hackers, piracy, industrial espionage with our hands tied behind our backs ... we're not allowed to attack back even though we have clear identification of sources and patterns (more than any judicial system would require).  But we can't do anything, we see it, we feel it, we pay for it, but we can't attack back ... now that is silly.

How dumb do you have to be to pirate a piece of software by a company that the U.S. Government has on speed dial?  

Making a link between Lockheed being primarily a defence contractor, pirated copies of a flight simulator that is available for anyone to buy and then using language like:

military espionage

and

causalities of war

Is very silly.

Anyway, we all know that the Chinese and Russians will get an OOM on their pirated copy of P3D2 long before they learn the secrets of the F-22 from the included Iris model.  :P

I've found 4 reports of this in a brief search, not sure I want to get into linking them here, but yeah, pretty shady.

Yep, I remember some Avsim members posting here they were having that issue when right clicking.

Under a military context (which is what I'm suggesting here with Lockheed Martin) those "mistakes" would be causalities of war and should consider themselves lucky that only their PC got wiped.  Of course the countermeasures would need to be robust and very well tested so that any 'mistakes' would be extremely rare indeed ... certainly within acceptable limits.

That's absolutely chilling.

Luke

• Upvote 1

Is very silly.

Naaah, you just don't see what I see on a daily basis -- wars aren't strictly limited to guns and bombs.  In fact, I'd even suggest the most "effective wars" have nothing to do with guns and bombs.

Naaah, you just don't see what I see on a daily basis

Once again, equating the pirating of Prepar3D to "military espionage" is ridiculous. Exactly what can be gained in the espionage stakes from illegally acquiring a Windows based flight simulator - one doesn't even simulate flight very well at all - that is available to all and sundry around the world with a credit or debit card and an Internet connection? Are the Chinese suddenly going to unravel the secrets of the F-35 after taking a look at the .air file in Dino Cattaneo's model that comes with P3D?

Espionage is a capital offence in the US. Should we start convicting the P3D pirates as such and execute them?

(if this is accurate, which it appears to be based on Wes's response).

It is for real Rob.

It is for real Rob.

Thanks Tom, I didn't think Wes would respond like that if it weren't real.  Anyway, got the list of names I needed to get and will make sure I don't offer any assistance to those individuals in the future.

Are the Chinese suddenly going to unravel the secrets of the F-35 after taking a look at the .air file in Dino Cattaneo's model that comes with P3D?

Who said they were Chinese or Russian?

But I agree, espionage might be a far stretch.  However, I don't know what's in the code either and I'm not a legal representative ... but I do know their EULA is pretty clear about any reverse engineering.

Yep, I remember some Avsim members posting here they were having that issue when right clicking.

And if you report them, they are gone.

• Upvote 2

Oh my, that's awesome - to report a 'bug' caused by cracked software. Brings to mind a PC first person shooter from a year or two back, where cracking the game resulted in the player immediately being chased by an immortal large red bug.  Was absolutely hilarious to read the message boards of people that said the game was terrible because they couldn't kill the first 'enemy' they encountered!

I put something in the Eaglesoft's Citation X v2 that let us know who had pirated copies. They still don't know that we know who they are. :wink:

For example, our (my companies) web and SQL servers are under 24/7 attack (I have endless logs proving this) ... every web page, every input field, every port, you name it, is being attacked with garbage input, bogus user/password attempts and more to see if they can trigger and exception or gain access

Sadly, this is so true.  I have a business website of my own that is constantly being probed and tested by such. Which is slightly humorous at the same time as being annoying, since it's a non-critical site with no e-commerce and it's located on a 3rd party hosting server.