Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Opus vs Active Sky Next

I can't see any direct comparison threads between these two products, apologies if I've missed it.

For an average user like myself, is there much to choose between the two?

My needs are quite simple, just to either depict real world weather or custom weather of my choice into the sim in the most realistic manner possible.

Weather engines are not something I've had much experience of so would appreciate any insights.

Many thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Try them both both have  trial versions I believe   than pick the one  that suits you.  Your going  to get one is better  than the other from both sides of the fence on this post

Very happy with opus for my own needs and also comes with dynamic cameras which is a bonus (and more realistically implemented) if you don't have Ezdok

I have both now. 

I like that I can access Opus in game from the FSX Add on Menu. I like that Opus is constantly updating. I like that Opus has camera features. I like that Opus gives winds, in FSX, for various WX stations.

I mainly purchased ASN due to it's upcoming compatibility with PMDG's upcoming WX RADAR. The depictions in ASN do seem to be "extra", but at times can be stunning. I do not like that I have to window FSX to see ASN's WX information.

Both programs have demos, so try it out for yourself. For me, I'd stick with Opus if it weren't for the upcoming WX RADAR.

I use ASN with very high satisfaction, don''t own OPUS, but have a little question for users: is it possible to run it only using cameras not for weather engine? I own EZCA but has not native installer for Prepar3D 2.0

FS GLobal Real Weather in combination with REX 4...hands down.

This is based on comparing it with other products including ASN and comparing it with live webcams in numerous locations in the world. It was a very time consuming process, but it was worth it. Opus is a good second, but it tends to make the weather more dramatic than it actually is.

I use ASN with very high satisfaction, don''t own OPUS, but have a little question for users: is it possible to run it only using cameras not for weather engine? I own EZCA but has not native installer for Prepar3D 2.0

Yes. Easy to disable. 

One thing to consider big time, is that Opus does not recreate aircraft turbulence if you use Ezdok. I was pretty peed off at this, as you effectively need to disable Ezdok and initiate Opus's own camera system to enable RW turbulence. I don't know if the situation is the same with AS, I suspect not, but it needs to be considered by those who use Ezdok.

ASN by a mile - that OVC depiction is just spectacular...

Interesting response, but may I ask, those who say ASN "by a mile", have you made a direct 'one to one' comparison?

For me ASN has two distinct advantages over OpusFSX.

One is the visibility control by the engine, which finally makes flying through clouds a convincing experience. Flying through a broken layer will result in often losing the ground view, one otherwise very disturbing feature in IFR flying.

Second is the wind interpolation, both in horizontal (positively no jumps) and in vertical. Especially in vertical, OpusFSX works with an assumption of veering the surface wind upwards until 20000 feet, while in nature most of veering only happens within the lowest part of the boundary layer, which is between a few 100's feet deep at night, and perhaps 6000 ft on a hot day. It has happened to me that a surface wind of 280 degrees (METAR, airport in a non-flat terrain) made a 350 degrees turn towards 270 degrees at 20000 feet due to this assumption. In ASN the wind, in my experience, simply turns from the surface, METAR reported direction towards the free atmosphere wind direction, provided by the global model data, i.e. if any surface layer veering is assumed in ASN it is done in a correct and non invasive manner.

I do like the camera in OpusFSX, and also the realistic implementation of turbulence affecting the view and aircraft motion.

Mark

The opus cameras are miles better than Ezdok anyway. Much better to have one program doing it all.

As for ovc in opus, can't say I have had any problems with it.

I also believe that opus have asked pmdg what they need to make the radar work too.

The winds could be better though, no doubt about that

ASN for me and I've purchased them all. Weather progs keep getting better and better.  

ASN, not by a mile... by a light-year. That's 5.88 trillion miles by the way.

:rolleyes:

Love it's capabilities, love how simple it is to operate. Just fire it up and fly, that's it. But still with the facility to tweak all necessary parameters if that's what crumbles your cookie.

Also liking ASN. Was a fan of Opus FSX but I found it got progressively worse with each new version so have uninstalled and now use ASN exclusively.

ASN certainly replicates  turbulence better than any other weather engine I've tried but there's not much of it unless you fly somewhere with TCU reported in the METAR or fly over mountains at a low-ish level. Can't feel any  turbulence in clouds using ASN which is a pity.

I use OPUS and like it, but it does still have cloud popping whenever the weather updates.  I've seen videos of ASN and it does look spectacular, not to mention everyone's positive comments on it, but I'll stay with OPUS at least until OPUS FSI is released (sometime later this year I believe).  At that time I'll make a decision on the upgrade cost to FSI versus purchasing ASN.  OPUS FSI promises a lot of enhancements over the current OPUS weather engine and I'm sure ASN will continue to keep their customers happy as well, so I'll stay on the fence for now.  It's great to have all this competition B)

I'm really new to this whole simming obsession, but I've tried both and stuck with ASN.

As some have said, OPUS tends to pop in clouds during updates and it totally breaks immersion, plus: ASN is incredibly easy to 

use.  

PMDG + ASN + GEX + ORBX  =  Yeah, son!  

(good grief I've spent a lot of money on this hobby so far!)

If you want an afternoon thunderstorm to turn into a warm clear evening then at some point your 27,000ft CB will disappear. In general it's going to affect any weather engine that want changes to occur within the time of the flight plan. CBs can be faded out and replaced with smaller clouds and so on, but I'm sure they all pop clouds at some point.

I was using Opus for a little over a year before finally getting sick of "noticing" opus was there. The best compliment I can give or say about ASN is that you don't notice it's there doing its thing. Updates are smooth. This was unlike opus. Updates with opus resulted in big shifts in winds and/or cloud popping. So, you noticed it. For me, that always took away from the immersion factor. When beginning descent with Opus, you never really knew for sure if the clouds were really going to stay where they'd were or not. With ASN, I no longer think about any of that and instead actually plan for the weather like it should be. For the first time when it comes to weather in FSX, I no longer catch myself saying "I only wish it did or didn't do this" or "that darn FSX bug...curse you M$". I don't really know what I'd improve upon with ASN. Never could say that before.

I have OPUS and it's pretty good.  I tried the demo of ASN and liked everything over OPUS except one thing: stuttering.  I tried everyway I could to get rid of the stutters....  lots of helpful people from HiFi and users here tried to help.... could not get them to go away.  For that reason I decided not to buy it.  But I really like their weather depiction, and it handeled things better than OPUS, such as VV (indefinite ceiling).... OPUS always made a psuedo layer of OVC at about 400.... the VV really looks good (well you can't see anything lol) and it works at the altitude its broadcast on the AWOW/ASOS/ATIS.

Not sure why you get stutters with ASN Ryan... I've not had any issues like that at all. Very smooth.

Did you exclude it in your AV?