Sign in to follow this  
pilottj

A2A Cherokee is here!

I need to see if there is aileron/rudder trim, and I need to check out the autopilot too.

I don't believe there is aileron trim in this aircraft, and if there is, I haven't found it. Rudder trim is that little knob down by your copilots knees. I'm still working out the autopilot myself, although it seems simple enough. I haven't quite figured out how to set ALT hold, assuming that there must be a toggle button on the yoke, which I usually hide.

Yeah, our Seminoles were the 'New Piper' models as they had replaced ERAU's older Duchess fleet. Between the two, I preferred the old Duchess even tho they were old and falling apart. I thought the Duchess was more pilot friendly, and felt more balanced. The Seminole was very nose heavy, even with ballast in the baggage hold. I didn't like New Piper's thick yokes either. I noticed that was a trend in the next generation of Cessnas and Pipers....thick yokes...guess they were trying to make their pilots feel like airline pilots or something lol.

Hey that's cool! I take it you graduated from Riddle. So did I, in 2001 at the Daytona campus! Not a pilot though, but a washed out Aerospace Engineer, turned Human Factors graduate. But I remember the Seminoles, and they had just bought or were in the process of buying more 172's.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

The AP is fairly simple, there is no vertical control other than 'altitude' hold.  For lateral steering, press the red AP button to set the desired steering mode...ST is steer..use the knob on the TC to turn left or right.  Press red AP button again to set heading hold, press again for low sensitive/high sensitive course hold (Nav/GPS).  

I find it easiest to take off, manually fly the course until reaching desired cruise altitude, then turn on AP with hdg or hi sens hold for course track.  The Alt hold will occasionally beep at you to trim, trim the appropriate direction until it stops beeping.  When reaching decent, turn of alt hold, reduce power/trim for stable decent.  Personally I shut of the AP completely prior to reaching the IAF of the approach.  The Cherokee is such a nice hand flying machine, you don't need glideslope or VS hold.  The course track does weave a little, according to Scott, this is the AP's true behavior.  

So, the wording that A2A has been using since 2007 (BEFORE any other lighting system) is hogwash?

Oh brother...If they were using the phrase as a way of referring to a trademarked name (as in their 3D Lights product from years ago) then it would be fine of course. But that is not clear in the way it was worded. If that's what they were trying to do then they need to make it more clear that it is their old lighting product that is included and NOT the type that casts illumination. There are many people who understand that the illuminating type lights always have to be built directly into the model, and so when A2A say they have "3D lights built directly into the model" they are leaving the door open to confusion.

Who the heck cares about the semantics btw? (because THAT is what your argument was about)...all that really matters is whether or not the language is clearly understood and not confusing or misleading to customers. So if some customers have gotten it wrong, why defend it instead of changing it?

...very simply, all they need to do is to remove the phrase "built directly into the model" from inside the parenthesis and replace with "(does not illuminate ground from cockpit view)". A 30 second fix that doesn't leave anybody wondering.

Can you check if that was the cause of your "eager left turn all through the flight"?

After other flights, I'm now thinking most of the left turn may have been wind ... I need to check again. However, on TNGs, pushing the throttle forward to takeoff again does produce a good shove left that has to be fought a little. 

I don't believe there is aileron trim in this aircraft, and if there is, I haven't found it.

Yes, I've check this too...it is actually commented inside the aircraft.cfg that indeed there is no aileron trim on the plane. Would be useful as she can be a bit of a handful in real weather winds but I would think the real plane would not have that trim either. It's not something you typically see in a trainer.

Unfortunately it's getting harder to find mechanics that want to work on it with it's wooden wing.

Not at Santa Paula

I think I found the source of my "clicking" on final to KTVL ... I'm using a GoFlight TQ6 and my flaps position was sitting right at indent threshold so would bounce back and forth on the flap settings rapidly (fortunately so fast that the flaps didn't have time to change position and affect flight).

Here are my balanced P3DV2.2 settings (including 3rd party settings) I used for this flight (probably going to stay with these as they work very well with TrackIR5 and FRAPS) - Orbx NCA region and Vector is so far the area most likely to stress my hardware, but I think I found harmony here: http://robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_TIR5.php

Cheers, Rob.

Judge says: "you were entertained by this software?  Two years community service and a $50,000 fine" ... sounds like something out of Pink Floyd's The Wall (oh my age).

At no point did I enjoy this flight in the Cherokee

Is that what you meant to say?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Is that what you meant to say?

Yes ... it's the Brit in me, we have tendency for dead pan and/or dry humour (spelled the correct way).  I've been Americanized since, but I guess there is still some Brit left in me.

The agreement between myself, LM, and A2A ensures that no such horrendous activity such as "being entertained" takes place at any point of usage.  So abiding by such an agreement I wanted to make sure everyone understood that I was not enjoying my flight, was having a miserable time, and spent the entire flight reading manuals, making lots of mistakes, and basically hating life and flight ... it's just a job  :wink:  

Cheers, Rob.

^Good post :)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I was not enjoying my flight . . . and I certainly didn't inhale, your Honour.

:-)

• Upvote 1

i want P3D but i really like enjoying myself and being entertained, so i guess to be legal i better stay with fsx, where i promise not to learn anything! :lol:

any way back on topic, i have about 6 hours in the Cherokee now and it just gets better.   i love taking it on long distance trips (well, long distance for a Cherokee; maybe 300nm).     

i'm really angry because i'm an airliner flyer really, and this bloody plane is keeping me away from my dash 8 !!!   :lol:

hating life and flight

Just like everyone else on this forum then :lol: ......although there are a few on here who seem way too happy, but they are on meds no doubt.

Just came in for a landing and was a little fast and flared a little too much. The Cherokee floated in ground effect just like the real thing (something I've done many times in real life).

Very convincing. They've hit every little detail. This is as close to flying a real general aviation plane as you are going to get on a home simulator.