Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

MS Flight continues... new rumours

I feel sad if that is the case. Whilst I have never used MS Flight, I know that there are quite a few of you that do :(

+1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Without being connected to GFWL will you lose all your career info? If I remember correctly some of it  is stored on line.

You cannot buy content after the 1st of July, but you will be able to play offline without the LIVE Platform through the next toolkit.

If by "content" you mean Flight DLC, I thought that the sale of that was curtailed a year ago? Can it still be purchased?

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

If by "content" you mean Flight DLC, I thought that the sale of that was curtailed a year ago? Can it still be purchased?

Ted

That what was intended to happen, but some DLC (i.e. "content") were kept on the Microsoft Game Studio Servers after August 2013.  For instance, a while ago, some DLC were listed on the Microsoft Flight Marketplace, which I believe could have been purchased. From memory, I think it was the Hawaiian Adv. Pack, the Maule and the C-46. I attempted a purchase, a while back, but it didn't work for me, but for “ChaoticBeauty”, it apparently did.

Without being connected to GFWL will you lose all your career info? If I remember correctly some of it  is stored on line.

Yes, some of your Flight Career info is stored online, but there are also some files stored on the PC that you run Flight with. I think that GFWL handles in-game purchases and Multiplayer as well as some characteristics of your LIVE Profile. However, some career stats are stored on your PC, such as the last position which your aircraft was at and your custom flight controls. 

I'm not sure whether Personal Flight data may be lost after the permanent closure of the platform.

If you would like to check it out for yourselves, head to the Application Data Flight Folder. Usually, it is located in “C:\Users\<Administrator>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Flight,” but this could be different in some cases. If you do not see the AppData folder, enable hidden files and folders in Control Panel.

In the Flight folder, you will see a folder named “Players,” which is where your game data is held.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I guess we'll have to wait and see...13 12 11 days to go!   <_<

Hmmm... This (the shut down of GFWL) has me wondering if I should reinstall Flight (even if I don't intend to use it anytime soon) just so I have access to it later if I want it....

Data is stored locally as well as on the server generally.  The one thing I have found so far that is not stored locally are what aerocaches you have visited.  I'm working on an update to the toolkit that will hopefully be ready in the next week that will allow you to extract the visited aerocaches from GFWL while you are running Flight and save them locally to your machine.  After the servers shutdown I will have another update that switches to use a custom version of GFWL that runs locally on your own machine.  The only thing that won't really work after that is multiplayer and achievements.  Aerocaches will still work and we will now have the ability to add new aerocaches.  It might be possible to get multiplayer working again at some point in the future, but if someone bought the Flight code and will be continuing it, then hopefully I won't have to do any of that :)

Thank you very much, Steve, for the information and for the good news.

Best regards.

Luis

There was a tweet from one of the Microsoft GFWL people that the servers would continue beyond the original shut down date, but no other details were given.

As far as I'm concerned, the servers should stay up as long as someone is accessing them. Multiplayer is one of the integral parts of the sim and is proving to be fairly popular even in these late stages. I have gotten into it a bit and had hoped to do more with the limited time I have.

It is great news that the shutdown might be delayed. So, if you can, log into Flight and start a multiplayer session even if all you plan to do is sightsee. Maybe it will have a positive result.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

It is great news that the shutdown might be delayed. So, if you can, log into Flight and start a multiplayer session even if all you plan to do is sightsee. Maybe it will have a positive result.

Good advise Rick. That is what I have been trying to do. I was never involved with the multiplayer function much either until it appeared to be going away.  But now that I have gotten into it more it is turning out to be fun. Good flying and talking with you the other day.

Steve

I've never been much of a multiplayer myself, but will do that. If it doesn't help, it won't hurt either.

I've never been much of a multiplayer myself, but will do that. If it doesn't help, it won't hurt either.

That's my point. It isn't any trouble to open multiplayer and it's no big deal if you end up flying alone. It still shows up on the server traffic.

Steve, I enjoyed our short time in multi also. I'm handling some PITB stuff here at home, but hope to have another session either this afternoon or Sunday afternoon.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Usually, when I run Flight, my setup is always set up as "Public,"  so I usually find players joining in most of the time.

Thanks for the great info Stone! Good Luck, and I can't wait for next weeks release!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

I guess we'll have to wait and see...13 12 11 10 days to go (or possibly more)!    :mellow:

I cant even re-install flight     :(

I can install it right now with Games for Windows Marketplace.  Just tested. Make sure you uncheck 'remember password' and type it again. Should log in, then you can re/install the game and add-ons.