Sign in to follow this  
Kosty

And Dovetails new sim announcement is...

I have almost zero experience of flyfishing, but what little I have I know there is a real art to it, some almost see it as a spiritual experience.

I have done my share of fly fishing and as you say "Flyfishing, as I understand things, is a real art.", can be quite true if a individual so chooses. Art and science combined. I have fished since I was old enough to walk, we fished as a family. I have so many warm memories of the outings with different family members and the different places and types of fishing we enjoyed. It was in retrospect very good for the soul. That, in part, is why I make so much fun of the Fishing Sim idea. Fishing is one of those things that almost anyone can do in one form or another and there is no reason not to do it for 'real'.

The sim could also model trying to avoid getting shot by Dick Cheney.

:LMAO:

I think he and Dan Quail both bagged their limit. Great! Now we have Fishing Sim second person shooter theme. Reminds me of Salmon fishing season up in Michigan a few years ago. There was some river that had people lining both shores shoulder to shoulder. They all started getting their lines tangled and the next thing you know they were shooting at each other back and forth across the river. I wasn't there, but one of my uncles was (not doing any shooting - as far as I know). Thankfully they were all to drunk to hit anything or anyone. CRAZY! I for one like my solitude.

Regards,

Wanna bet these products get nVidia profiles before P3D?

Fishing simulator

Goat Simulator

Farming Simulator

:o I am not going to accept this bet! :unsure:

But I would really want to see the business numbers of the "simulation business". I would like to know how many copies of (i) FSX, (ii) P3D2.x, (iii) X-Plane10, (iv) Train Simulator, (v) Truck Simulator, (vi) Farming Simulator and (vii) certain addons for FSX/P3D have been sold over the years.

I deny to accept that flight simulation is a niche market, especially if you factor in the value of what the useres spend on their hobby.

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

Did anyone see this from back in April (2014)...

http://flyawaysimulation.com/media/images14/images/microsoft-flight-simulator-2014.jpg

http://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4695/

Having trolled through the pages of a thread purporting to an announcement of the sale by M$, etc, I had not seen MSFS 2014.

Regards

Sauviat

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

I once read (here possibly), that train simulator was the most expensive game / simulator ever released when the various DLC is included.

Possibly. But what is the real cost of FS 9/X + all add-ons the average 'serious' flight simmer buys ?

Did anyone see this from back in April (2014)...

Check the date of that info ... April 1st ;)

I deny to accept that flight simulation is a niche market, especially if you factor in the value of what the useres spend on their hobby.

I like to deny it's niche also ... but if it weren't niche then it would have continued just as Microsoft Studio's Halo is still going today (going thru different development companies, but still owned by Microsoft and funded by Microsoft).  I don't know the actual sales numbers, I know Ace's reported they hit the 1 million mark in terms of sales.

Cheers, Rob.

No new FSX, just another form of distribution going up in a puff of 'steam'!

Regards

sauviat

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

This was just posted to the front page:

As AVSIM reported a month ago, there has been a license agreement put in place. Now Dovetail has confirmed that and stated; "The award-winning creators of the best-selling Train Simulator franchise have today announced a global licensing deal with Microsoft, granting them the rights to develop and publish all-new flight products based on Microsoft's genre-defining flight technology. The company is currently investigating new concepts in this area and is expecting to bring a release to market in 2015.

In addition to this licensing agreement, Dovetail Games is pleased to announce that it has also acquired the rights to distribute the multi-award winning Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Gold Edition via Valve's popular digital retail channel, Steam, entitled Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition."

You can read the entire press release here.

Emphasis is mine.

Oh my... Think I'll stick with Prepar3D.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

No new FSX, just another form of distribution going up in a puff of 'steam'!

Regards

sauviat

Not too sure about that!

From the press release it sounds as if they plan to develop the product on into the future! Maybe not for the hardcore simmers flying IFR from Sydney to London but maybe at least for the hardcore simmers looking for eye candy in low and slow Alaska.

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

I'll keep an open mind ... probably will buy it (if it is released on PC platform) just as I did Flight.  Flight didn't meet my needs.  

But that original image on XBOX was most definitely an April Fools joke.

In my perfect "end consumer" world of flight simulation, I'd wish that Dovetail, LM, LR combined to form a single company with a PM (project manager) that could deal with all the technical issues and the ego issues (aka Austin) and know how to do it to keep the funders from getting scared.  This is my fantasy of course because I honestly don't think the flight sim market is large enough to sustain 3 separate groups of flight sim development.

Competition works best when there is a large market, but when markets are small, consolidation works best for all.

My 2 cents.

Rob.

Amazing how many people will bash this but I happen to think Dovetail did a great job with Train Simulator so I think they can do something cool with an FS11.

Not sure about how FSX will be delivered over Steam as it does change the file locations compared to DVD purchases, so this may (or may not) be an issue with third party addons not working with Steam FSX....but we will see. The good news for Third Party Developers is that FSX will continue to sell for years to come with this deal.

Matthew Kane