Sign in to follow this  
ZKOKQ

FTX: Global openLC Europe Released

They need to prove why it's worth the ridiculous price they are asking.  Throughout the history of FSX landclass has come and gone.. From free, to very fairly priced per what it covered. ie: SceneryTech = $19 for Europe.

Orbx seems to have a "It's us, so just pay more" philosophy.  No doubt they are good at what they do but that doesn't mean they don't have to actually sell me first.. $40 landclass that only consists of Europe is insanity. Especially when it requires a $100 purchase first.

Get the heck out of here.. 

+1

I Totally agree with Bill. No matter what but ORBX has already dug holes in many flightsimmers pockets, they should have thought about that.  :(  :(

nickpap89

quit bi tching about ORBX and stop being jealous of an overall better product. If you don't want to buy it (because you have already paid a lot investing in other competitive products), then just don't do it.

Thats where literacy lacks..

With Open LC EU can I get rid of NL2000 scenery? Also do I need to have fs global and fs genesis or can I get rid of one or both? Thanks.

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Then compare them with GEX + UTX. Ouch! And openLC EU does not cost 40 bucks. It costs 37 dollars.

Unless you are a member of the Orbx Appreciation Society, you should really think about what you posted.

Firstly, not everybody in the World live where you do, so an exchange rate applies. So it would cost me $41 due to my location.

Secondly, it is not a GEX Vs Orbx topic either. Some who have GEX  may decide to change later. me personally, I have only had GEX for just over 18months, so maybe I might change to orbx in the near future. So, that does not mean I do not like FTX Global, lets be clear about that.

And also, Orbx LC EU has only just been released, so no one can one compare yet, think about it.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Unless you are a member of the Orbx Appreciation Society, you should really think about what you posted.

Firstly, not everybody in the World live where you do, so an exchange rate applies. So it would cost me $41 due to my location.

Secondly, it is not a GEX Vs Orbx topic either. Some who have GEX  may decide to change later. me personally, I have only had GEX for just over 18months, so maybe I might change to orbx in the near future. So, that does not mean I do not like FTX Global, lets be clear about that.

And also, Orbx LC EU has only just been released, so no one can one compare yet, think about it.

I am a member of Common Sence

Nikos Pap

With Open LC EU can I get rid of NL2000 scenery? Also do I need to have fs global and fs genesis or can I get rid of one or both? Thanks.

NL is photoscenery and some custom objects and airports. Do you like photoscenery? If so, keep NL layered ontop and the rest of Europe with get the Orbx textures.

I am a member of Common Sence

:t0152:

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I think the price of openLC Europe is reasonable considering the amount of work that has gone into it. At first it was supposed to be just an automated landclass product, but they ended up hand-crafting lots of it, as well as adding plenty of unique textures and Vesuvius as a photoreal area.

But I agree that the price of all FTX Global layers is really high, especially considering that from now on Orbx will start developing airports designed for FTX Global (like AYPY), and you need all layers so they can function correctly.

Aside from the price issue and whether we want it or not, any idea what something as realistic-looking as this would be on P3D performance?

Mario Di Lauro

Does anybody know what the "Open" part of OpenLC stands for?

Has to do with the name of the source data. Open something, sorry, name escapes me.

Open just means the data comes from open sources (i.e. free sources, not paid).

So much negatism from some guys that do not even argue logically. GEX and UTX are way too outdated. FTX GLOBAL and OpenLC plus Vector and any mesh product are the way to go. Look at the screenshots over the orbx forum and see the truth without bias. Then compare them with GEX + UTX. Ouch! And openLC EU does not cost 40 bucks. It costs 37 dollars. At least all those haters of ORBX (Nick Needham is that you?) don't misinform the other members of the community. FTX Global is textures and autogen only, openLC is landclass and much much more (and far from other lc products such as XClass or SceneryTech, that's why it's more expensive). Without openLC you don't have the whole package. And yes FTX Global is required beacuse as mentioned above it's a DIFFERENT product than openLC. That's the way it is. So all those that have invensted in the past building their sim around GEX and UTX (maybe for the whole world) quit bi tching about ORBX and stop being jealous of an overall better product. If you don't want to buy it (because you have already paid a lot investing in other competitive products), then just don't do it.

+1

Open just means the data comes from open sources (i.e. free sources, not paid).

The thing is, the inital plan was to source the landclass from OSM and other open sources, but they ended up hand-crafting lots of it. This, combined with the unique textures, is what contributed to the higher cost.

What Orbx recommend

Global =100.00

Vector =60.00

FS Global Mesh =90.00

EU LC 40.00

USA 40.00

Asia  40.00

Africa  40.00

Canada 40.00

Oceania 40.00

Grand total 490.00

I can't help but laugh...When I purchased FSX about 3 years ago, I paid $40.  When I started to use it, I was very impressed and for a little while, I was satisfied with what I got and how it worked.  Since then, my curiosity has put me in the poorhouse with all of the add-ons that have been developed over the years.  What was to be a great flight sim out of the box has now turned into an investment likened to collecting comic books (which I once did in another life).  Quite honestly, ORBX should have bought (or at least collaborated with Microsoft) to re-tool FSX into a new gen flight sim, incorporating everything that ORBX has/will/would develop over the years.  Think of how FSX: Next Gen would have flown off the shelves if THAT sort of collaboration had happened!  We would have saved a ton of money over the years.  I have said it once and I'll say it again, FSX was before its time.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I can't help but laugh...When I purchased FSX about 3 years ago, I paid $40.  When I started to use it, I was very impressed and for a little while, I was satisfied with what I got and how it worked.  Since then, my curiosity has put me in the poorhouse with all of the add-ons that have been developed over the years.  What was to be a great flight sim out of the box has now turned into an investment likened to collecting comic books (which I once did in another life).  Quite honestly, ORBX should have bought (or at least collaborated with Microsoft) to re-tool FSX into a new gen flight sim, incorporating everything that ORBX has/will/would develop over the years.  Think of how FSX: Next Gen would have flown off the shelves if THAT sort of collaboration had happened!  We would have saved a ton of money over the years.  I have said it once and I'll say it again, FSX was before its time.

I agree with you but that's not just ORBX's fault. Unfortunately it's a general pathogen not only in FSX but also in the gaming industry (i.e. DLCs, microtransactions).

Nikos Pap

I can understand the pricing push back but ORBX brought that on themselves by setting an expectation level in the $15 range (IIRC) when they were mapping out their global domination strategy.

This announcement offers me an interesting choice. I only have the global base at this time (took the wait and see approach since I'd already invested in UTX Canada and USA). Now, I can purchase a more complete, but perhaps limiting UTX Europe or OpenLC Europe for about the same cost. Hmmmm....

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)