Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

Switching off scenery Areas

Is it safe to switch off the following Areas in scenery.cfg depending on where you're flying? They are:

[Area.099]
Title=Africa
Local=Scenery\AFRI
Layer=99
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.100]
Title=Asia
Local=Scenery\ASIA
Layer=100
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.101]
Title=Australia
Local=Scenery\AUST
Layer=101
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.102]
Title=Eastern Europe
Local=Scenery\EURE
Layer=102
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.103]
Title=Western Europe
Local=Scenery\EURW
Layer=103
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.104]
Title=Central North America
Local=Scenery\NAMC
Layer=104
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.105]
Title=Eastern North America
Local=Scenery\NAME
Layer=105
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.106]
Title=Western North America
Local=Scenery\NAMW
Layer=106
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.107]
Title=Oceania
Local=Scenery\OCEN
Layer=107
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.108]
Title=South America
Local=Scenery\SAME
Layer=108
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.109]
Title=Oshkosh Aerial Photo
Local=Scenery\Cities\Oshkosh
Layer=109
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.110]
Title=St. Maarten
Local=Scenery\Cities\StMaarten
Layer=110
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.111]
Title=Rio de Janeiro
Local=Scenery\Cities\Rio
Layer=111
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.112]
Title=Las Vegas
Local=Scenery\Cities\LasVegas
Layer=112
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.116]
Title=Reno
Local=Scenery\Cities\Reno
Layer=116
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.117]
Title=Istanbul
Local=Scenery\Cities\Istanbul
Layer=117
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.118]
Title=Longleat
Local=Scenery\Cities\Longleat
Layer=118
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.119]
Title=Berlin
Local=Scenery\Cities\Berlin
Layer=119
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.120]
Title=Edwards_AFB
Local=Scenery\Cities\Edwards_AFB
Layer=120
Active=True
Required=FALSE

[Area.122]
Title=UT Exclusions For Default Scenery
Local=Scenery\UtExcl
Layer=122
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.123]
Title=UT Usa Lighting
Local=Scenery\UtUsaLights
Layer=123
Active=True
Required=FALSE

Thanks,
Dirk.

I've unchecked all but North America with no problems. It's the only place I fly.

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

I've unchecked all but North America with no problems. It's the only place I fly.

So there's no reason to think that some of the same stock bgls can be jointly used in diffirent geographical regions?

Thanks,

Dirk.

Dirk, there is a  good utility called Scenry Config Editor, by Andrew Thornton, which is free. I use it all the time especially when switching in and out megascenery, and areas I don't plan on flying all the time. It has worked with no problems on my system.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry, I can't answer that one, but Carl has the best suggestion. Try that Scenery Config Editor.

jjime

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

If you use ai, you should at least leave the default scenery regions active so your ai has somewhere to land. Otherwise, you're fine to deactivate anything you want. Default scenery regions have no overlap.

I agree that scenery config editor is a wonderful program that will be a great help to you if you plan on changing scenery options regularly.

Is it safe to switch off the following Areas in scenery.cfg depending on where you're flying?

Why would you want to do that? Switching off default areas more than likely won't improve performance or increase your VAS overhead. The things that DO help are turning off photoreal areas when your not using them or flying over them since they load no matter where in the world you are. Default areas just use part of FSXs library of ground textures and shouldn't cause and increase in VAS or decrease in performance. Some people like to turn off addon airports they are not using for the areas they are flying in, but unless those airports include a bunch of photoreal ground textures like photo scenery, doing that probably wont make a lot of difference either.

Try what you want by disabling all the default areas and see if you can tell any difference. You can always turn them back on.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I've used Scenery Config Edtior since time out of mind, so I was mostly curious about possible effect of turning off the bgl files in stock areas. I understand from ematheson I better don't touch them for possible AI confilicts. I don't use photoscenery, so I can turn off some of the stock ones and the addon airports I'm not using in a specific flight.

Thanks,

Dirk.

On the note of using SCE, has anyone found a good process for handling the Orbx sceneries using this tool? I have found when adding new Orbx scenery it tends to mess the order of the list up (it loses the groups) in SCE. Just curious?

thx in advance,

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

On the note of using SCE, has anyone found a good process for handling the Orbx sceneries using this tool? I have found when adding new Orbx scenery it tends to mess the order of the list up (it loses the groups) in SCE. Just curious?

thx in advance,

I'm curious about this also. And it's not only when adding new regions, but even when changing the regions using FTX Central (i.e. North America to Asia).

The things that DO help are turning off photoreal areas when your not using them or flying over them since they load no matter where in the world you are.

Sorry but this doesn't make any sense.

Some people have hundreds of GB of photo scenery. There is no mathematical way that it all gets loaded.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Some people have hundreds of GB of photo scenery. There is no mathematical way that it all gets loaded.

But there is empirical evidence that a growing chunk of it clutters VAS until FSX CTDs. Function of the time flying.

Dirk.

But there is empirical evidence that a growing chunk of it clutters VAS until FSX CTDs. Function of the time flying.

Dirk.

Might be, but if it loads all of it FSX would OOM before it ever starts.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

All photoscenery loads whether you use it or not. If you just have GB photoscenery, then you should be okay. But, if you have photoscenery in Germany or Europe, the USA and ASIA, then it is best it be disabled if it is not part of your flight plan. I have photoscenery for every state in the United States and I can guarantee you that it will cause an OOM and/or slowdown FSX to a crawl if all of it is enabled at one time. Information about this can be found in the AVSIM CTD Guide, the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide, and the PMDG explanation of OOM's - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors.aspx.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yes it does. Read Jim's reply above mine. Test it your self and you'll see. For example I have some MegaScenery Earth SoCal, Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson area, Dallas, Seattle and New York. If I leave them all enabled then position my a/c in the center of the US, then go to Top Down view and start zoming out until I can see the whole US, I can visibly see all those photoscenery area from space. They dont load and unload like airport sceneries do, hence the reason they take up more memory than using the stock, GEX, or Orbx Global repetative ground textures.

This has been proven time and time again. In fact Ryan(Tabs) from PMDG did a long write up on this sometime ago whena user was complaining that he could only get about 10 minutes into a flight befrom he would OOM. After Ryan had done a one on one trouble shooting session with him it turned out that hehad tons of US photoreal installed and active. Once he disabled the vast majority of it he was then able to complete his flights with no OOMs.

It's your choice if you want to believe me or other people who say this but it's a true and proven fact. It's just the way FSX handles photoscenery.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator