Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

Which Heathrow scenery should I get?

Right now I am using a old Heathrow scenery that does not have the newer terminal 2, so now I am looking to upgrade Heathrow. But which scenery should I get? The Aerosoft version which just came out a few days ago? Or the UK2000 version?

I also would like opinions - I own the Sim-wings Heathrow which performs very well on my computer, and includes T5.

What do the newer sceneries offer? It seems a pity that there would be such duplication of effort, when there are other FS9 sceneries not done...  

A friend who has both Aerosoft Heathrow Xtreme and UK2000 EGLL says he gets better fps with the Aerosoft version. The amount of detail is also very similar.

I went from Aerosoft Heathrow v1 to Xtreme and there is certainly a fps improvement.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I had used the UK2000 version since it came out and then switched to Sim-Wings (Aerosoft) version once it was released.

Performance-wise they are, in my reception, similar, which means acceptable with some compromises. Since they are both depictions of Heathrow, Europe's largest airport lying in the London area (full of airports, traffic, buildings, etc), it is not possible to get very good performance, at least on an average computer. Don't expect huge changes in FPS/VAS after switching from one to another.

Visually I value the Sim-Wings version more. It is newer and fresher and, in my view, has better textures. Additionally there is quite a lot happening behind the airport's fences. However the SW version tends to have some problems displaying particular ground texture tiles, which first show as black and then pop up correctly. That probably is due to my not-top-notch rig and the above mentioned heaviness of the area to display.

All in all I prefer the Sim-Wings version, though I wouldn't say it leaves the UK2000 one very far behind.

I heard a lot of good things about Aerosoft Heathrow Xtended from the iFlySimX review. I am planning to get it when they release a patch where you can use CTRL-J jetways (I don't use AES because I am a Prepar3D user). In case you are interested, the CTRL-J Jetways are finished but need some beta testing before they are released, plus the CTRL-J Jetway patch should be included in the boxed version.

Júnior Silva

I just upgraded to the Aerosoft Xtended version of EGLL (lower price for upgraders, too), and it's pretty good.  Never used the UK2000 version, so can't compare.  There's an option to skip the hi-res textures when installing, which I recommend because the hi-res version was a real stutter-fest on short final.  The lower res textures are still an improvement over the previous version, and look fine IMHO.  

John G.

Is that the same option as Aerosoft Dublin, John? 2048 or 1024 textures?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Is that the same option as Aerosoft Dublin, John? 2048 or 1024 textures?

I think it's the same install option for both airports, except I'm using FS9 so it's more like 512 versus 1024.  I do use the higher res textures for Dublin, but it's a lot smaller airport than Heathrow so no noticeable stutters for me.

John G.

I've just noticed this was posted in the FS9 forum, not FSX. All my comments refer to the FSX versions. Sorry for any confusion.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I just moved over from UK2000 to the latest version from Aerosoft. Better performance, and I prefer the look of the Aerosoft product.

Glad to see CTRL - J jetway patch is on the way. Maybe means P3D/AES compatibility is a long way off.

Graham

I just moved over from UK2000 to the latest version from Aerosoft. Better performance, and I prefer the look of the Aerosoft product.

Glad to see CTRL - J jetway patch is on the way. Maybe means P3D/AES compatibility is a long way off.

Graham

I am also glad that they are nearly done with the CTRL-J Jetway Patch (with a little bit more beta testing). This is the only reason stopping me from getting Heathrow (as it use only AES which is unsupported in Prepar3Dv2.4).

Júnior Silva

I am also glad that they are nearly done with the CTRL-J Jetway Patch (with a little bit more beta testing). This is the only reason stopping me from getting Heathrow (as it use only AES which is unsupported in Prepar3Dv2.4).

I think I read somewhere that there would be an alternative to AES for FlyTampa scenery. Anybody heard of that?

I think once you get the airport, you will be quite satisfied, not only with the performance, but also the appearance.

I feel a bit bad for Aerosoft. They're kind of on a roll. Heathrow, which I think may be their best mega airport; A318/A319 which I believe is quite superior to Xtended. On the other hand, they are stuck with AES which impacts their scenery and perhaps their revenue. No more AES credits will be purchased by P3D users.

Interesting that GSX works in P3D, but not AES. Hope Aerosoft can sort it out.

Graham

But which scenery should I get?

As Clark Gable famously said "Frankly my dear, I don't give a d..n."    :LMAO:  :LMAO:

I think there's only been 1 FS9 response, and no comparison yet!

Perhaps a lesson for future topics: put FS9 in the title so we don't get the Front Page Browsers from other sims in here...  :Talking Ear Off: 

put FS9 in the title so we don't get the Front Page Browsers from other sims in here.

Thats a VERY good idea WingZ.

This problem has really manifested in recent weeks and is annoying to all.