Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

Seems like the "most helpful" Steam comments are very optimistic when it comes to the changes (I wonder how they tested them by the way):

FSX is almost a decade old by now, But wait ,,, this is the "Steam" Edition !

- Not a RAM hog anymore - Not Hates graphics cards anymore - Not slow and unoptimized anymore - Not unstable anymore - It runs very awesome on my machine [64 bit] - The Multiplayer is here ! - Overall, it looks great & fantastic

So, what are you waiting for Pilot ?
Grab this old Masterpiece and Take-Off with your friends or with some Real World Pilots out there :)

Thanks to the folks posting the actual changes and a fair perspective regarding those (ohsirus et al.) :smile:

And a friendly welcome to a bunch of really new flight sim users as a result of the exposure and "new" aura. They might not show up here but around the net for sure.

Consider it an insurance policy.....FSX DVD's do scratch or break for many reasons and are no longer being produced, so consider this the $5 backup solution  B)

Actually I don't think it is a good insurance policy. DTG is not immune to going belly up at some point in the future, so if you hadn't downloaded it by then, you may lose your ability to do it if that happens. If you have the disk space, I think it's best to install it, and just not use it, unless you lose you're DVD's   

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

OMG we can buy 10 year old software that was heavily bugged on release which got never fixed for only 5dollar.

Omg it`s like Oh My God.

(Logical people would complain it`s not going for 1dollar (or less), where that 1dollar should be going to the "simmers-in-need-foundation")

The only thing more ridiculous are the steamreviews that state "it got fixed, it`s so much better now".

To burst some of your bubbles, ehhh "NO It Isn`t"

Calm down a bit, mate. It's just a new release that many people never thought would have happened and it's released on a platform that has the potential to bring in many new users to keep the hobby going. More simmers can only be a good thing in the long run.

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

John, please check your PM for some thoughts on this potential time-bomb of using the same Registry key's SetupPath info...

...for those who do have both FSX:MS and FSX:SE installed on the same machine...

If installing FSX:SE rewrites the existing key, then the user won't be able to choose which version to which they wish to send the install! :wacko:

Yes it is precisely the same, and this has the potential for real problems if a user has both FSX:MS and FSX:SE installed on the same computer...

C:\Users\Bill Leaming\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Wouldn't  a 2nd User Account on a machine take care of this?  I currently set up a 2nd account tol keep my FSX

and P3D installs 'separate'. That appears to take care of most of the 'same location' problems IF those locations are user-specific.

The things that will prevent me from even trying FSX_CE is the inability to connect to MP via the 'Direct Connect' method as I use the Digital Theme Park servers exclusively.

Also, if FSUIPC4 can not be utilitzed, then that alone is a 'no go' situation as ALL my aircraft controls/configurations are handled in FSUIPC4 and I'm not about to throw away hundreds of hours of 'customization'!

A question on the download. Is it possible to download the SE version but NOT install it at that time? I ask this primarilay so that if  'yes' I can take advantage of the sale yet hold off any install untill the game-changing issues for me are resolved.

Thanks for you rapid feedback here, Bill!

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

There seems to be 2 directories. An "FSX" folder, and then a "FSX_SE" folder. More specifically, there appears to be a "FSX.cfg" in the "FSX" directory, and a "FSX_SE.cfg" in the "FSX_SE" directory. 

I'm sitting here looking at my ..\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder and seeing only an fsx.cfg file.

Granted, I didn't already have FSX installed on my dev computer, so perhaps that is why, but that's really not the big issue anyway.

The fact that they are rewriting the Registry key already used by FSX:MS (original version) is the fox in the hen house.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Actually I don't think it is a good insurance policy. DTG is not immune to going belly up at some point in the future, so if you hadn't downloaded it by then, you may lose your ability to do it if that happens. If you have the disk space, I think it's best to install it, and just not use it, unless you lose you're DVD's   

If DTG does go belly up it doesn't matter as it was purchased from Steam. Steam is the company that provides the purchase, distribution backup and restore and not DTG.

But never fear.....FSX will still work in 50 years from now for anyone who really wants it too, just like I can play Astroids on my PC with an emulator. Always a way to make things work.

Heck, you can even get an Atari 2600 to surf the internet if you really wanted to  :lol:

Matthew Kane

So as of right now if you have FSX installed with FSX_SE installed on the same PC you CANNOT install addons into the FSXSE version?

If FSX:SE is installed after FSX, it appears these new FSX_SE folders are created. Could it stand to reason that a new Registry key is also added, which handles the FSX_SE path?

EDIT: if this *is* the case, it would mean that FSX:SE can be installed 'on top' of regular FSX. But, it would mean that installing regular FSX on top of FSX:SE could cause problems (ie regular FSX will complain that FSX is already installed)

Just typing out loud here!

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

From what I've seen so far, installation was absolutely flawless, and took about half the time that installing from three DVDs would take...

Fr. Bill    

So as of right now if you have FSX installed with FSX_SE installed on the same PC you CANNOT install addons into the FSXSE version?

No, just the opposite! Unless your installer has a "Browse" button you cannot redirect an installation to your 'regular' FSX...

Well, actually it would depend on which order you installed FSX:MS and FSX:SE. Whichever was installed last claims the Registry key.

Fr. Bill    

Just copy the FSX discs to your hard drive and use the HD 'version' for re-installs. I have done this and it saves a LOT of thime over having to use the DVD's. Just name the folders the same as the DVD's but also copy all the 2nd DVD contents into the DVD 1 folder. It won't ask you to insert the 2nd DVD that way.

For the non-Deluxe version  you would also copy the Accelleration DVD to your HD as well.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

I'm sitting here looking at my ..\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder and seeing only an fsx.cfg file.

Granted, I didn't already have FSX installed on my dev computer, so perhaps that is why, but that's really not the big issue anyway.

The fact that they are rewriting the Registry key already used by FSX:MS (original version) is the fox in the hen house.

Absolutely! That is a concern. I don't see any benefit in running dual versions anyway. What would be the point? I would only use SE I guess IF, and only if, the FSX:SE version fully supports the addons that the legacy version supports.... Where is your FSX-SE.cfg just out of curiosity? 

Where is your FSX-SE.cfg just out of curiosity? 

There is no "FSX-SE.cfg" file, which I already reported. There is only the same old "fsx.cfg" file...

There is a "FSXSEConfig.exe" program in the root folder, but I have no idea what it is for...

Fr. Bill    

Not sure why anyone is concerned about FSUIPC not working in FSX-SE, if Pete Dowson can change the installer to fit P3D, I am sure he will do the same for FSX-SE. I bet a crate of beer he goes on holiday before he does :lol:

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Really curious on the "recompiled in VS 2013" ... that can only be accomplished with source code and Dovetail's statement indicated they do NOT have the rights to the source code?  Confused?  I'm not sure what it is with Flight Sim publishers and content providers, but clarity is certainly NOT their strong point ... I'm assuming on purpose.

Anyway, with that said, I'm glad to see this bringing out some new flight simmers, I hope they stay for the long game and more importantly discover 3rd party support.

Cheers, Rob.