Sign in to follow this  
eth32

Best weather engine for my computer?

My computer certainly isn't the best, performance wise, but I am still interested in a weather engine for Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition. Also I am not currently able to afford ASN for my prepaid mastercard, but probably will be able to in the future. Specs for those who are interested: 

L997dVM.png

Thanks all! :D

I love REX for their textures, but I don't think their weather engine is quite as good as either ASN, OpusFSI, or FsGlobal Weather, although I know these are more expensive than the REX package. Personally, I use Active Sky Next and think it is amazing. If you are getting bad performance with it, you can adjust the number of cloud layers and the cloud draw distance.

@Buziel, have you tried with the latest SP3 recently released? 

No I don't think I have. I purchased REX4 earlier this year and uninstalled REX w/OD and bought ASN over the summer, I do love REX4 though!

No I don't think I have. I purchased REX4 earlier this year and uninstalled REX w/OD

You knew that you could mix  and match textures between  rexe  and rex4

Rex released Soft Clouds. Looks quite nice!

Soft Clouds isn't a weather engine. It's a texture replacement.

Rex released Soft Clouds. Looks quite nice!

The OP asked about the best weather engine for his Rig,

Softclouds is not a weather engine.

Easy, simple, and FREE....   http://www.plane-pics.de/fsxwx/home.htm

Is this actually worthwhile?

I'm surprised FSX would work well on that rig...

It does! Just had to edit the config and now getting great frame-rates!  ^_^

@Buziel, have you tried with the latest SP3 recently released? 

Hm, I heard about this latest update for REX, could someone show me how it compares to other weather engines on the market?

Hm, I heard about this latest update for REX, could someone show me how it compares to other weather engines on the market?

I think it is better than the older rex weather engine but when I tested it  I still got that annoying cloud popping , yes even with sp3, so  I'm not using it anymore.

i wondered about pilot's global weather, i have asn but it doesnt work with fsx steam and was considering fs global weather, any thoughts?

I have both and use ASN with FSX-ME and FSGRW with FSX-SE.  

I have nothing but good things to say about FSGRW and it was my weather engine of choice until I tried the ASN demo.

I dropped out of some clouds on final and was blown away by how immersive ASN was. Then at a few hundred feet the runway appeared, not all at once but gradually with wisps of clouds near me.

I had done this once is real life when I was learning to fly and remember the feeling all too well.  ASN gave me the same feeling, which is why I bought it.

Thanks for everyone's input, I appreciate it. I was thinking about purchasing AS2012 (which is compatible with Steam Edition), then upgrading to ASN at a later date. But I was also thinking about the two free weather engines mentioned, FSrealWX or fsxwx. In terms of storms (yes, i'm addicted to storm chasing, haven't gone one year without seeing a supercell) which is better at simulating them, AS2012, FSrealWX or fsxwx? Thanks, once again  :smile:

I love ASN.. before that I had Rex with od, but I used to hate the Cloud Popping, or worse the Wind sheers that would damage my aircraft. Since switching to ASN, I haven't had either of those problems..

I bought ASN a couple of days ago and am very impressed. Installation was simple, no significant impact on frame rates plus the user interface is intuitive.

I did have an issue with FSX freezing the first time I tried a flight, which hasn't happened to me for a very long time. After setting Affinity mask in fsx.cfg and setting the frame rate to unlimited I haven't had any issues, despite several very long flights in a variety of stock and payware aircraft. Not sure what the issue was, it may have been my internet connection.

In terms of realism, the live weather is fantastic, I was getting fed up with the FSX real-time updates not working and the bizarre wind-shifts and shear affects that made flying at altitude a PITA. With ASN this all seems to have been resolved. The turbulence effects are a bit over-done IMO, but I have dialed that back from the default settings, which is easy to do.

Great product IMO, all I wanted was working realistic live weather and ASN seems to deliver with bells on.