Sign in to follow this  
Silver_Dragon

FSX: SE. A Dead End?

That's because you have an Nvidia card. If you had an AMD card, you would sing a different tune all together. I can't wait for PMDG to be on P3D than we will really be able to compare apple to apple.

Sorry?

You're suggesting it's advantageous to be on an ATI/AMD graphics card??   ....Wow, unless I've misunderstood you there, that's the first time I've ever read of that opinion in years of simming.   ATI cards are dreadful with all versions of the sim.  Even most ATI users would agree! ........ We 'tolerate' out cards at best !!   :lol:

Sorry?

You're suggesting it's advantageous to be on an ATI/AMD graphics card??   ....Wow, unless I've misunderstood you there, that's the first time I've ever read of that opinion in years of simming.   ATI cards are dreadful with all versions of the sim.  Even most ATI users would agree! ........ We 'tolerate' out cards at best !!   :lol:

You misunderstood me. FSX and AMD is a worst combo than P3D and AMD combo. None of them are "right" but one is a lesser evil. I can't even run FSX:SE with my AMD card without gettings graphical anomalies every 2 sec. Its really broken. Even with the DX10 fixer. I tried every tweak possible, it just doesn't work at all.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

DTG can't change the look and feel to FSX significantly.

But they are allowed to make it run better as they have started.

Would you mind providing a link to that statement?  I believe you're simplifying DG rights as the publisher of FSX.  Every statement from DG has clearly stated their ability to alter FSX code is limited to making the game compatible with the Steam platform and fixing the defunct multiplier platform.  Indeed, they have made some minor optimization changes but are strictly prohibited from altering FSX's core code without the implicit consent of Microsoft. This extends well beyond the "look and feel" of FSX.  The latter term is very subjective...

"Dovetail Games is acting as a publisher for Microsoft and is only licenced to modify the simulator in order to make it Steam compatible. This necessitated updating some of the existing features in the game such as the introduction of Steam multiplayer support to replace the now defunct GameSpy services. Although we have optimised FSX: Steam Edition for use on Steam, in accordance with our licencing agreement with Microsoft we are not at liberty to make significant functionality changes to the simulator."

Matt King

A video on yotube from Jordan King explain very well why FSX.SE is so promissing.

I would post the link here but not sure if i am allowed.

here is the title:

FSX Steam Edition - *The Ultimate Stress Test!* Pt 1

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

That's because you have an Nvidia card. If you had an AMD card, you would sing a different tune all together. I can't wait for PMDG to be on P3D than we will really be able to compare apple to apple.

I had an AMD card and switched for the very reason you mentioned. No more spikes and graphical glitches. I personally won't be getting the 777 for p3d. That's another $200 to just run oom. I can do that in fsx lol

Isn't one of the theories out there DTG is developing their own Flight sim? I mean sure it would probably be a couple years away, maybe less I dunno but isn't that where all this is heading? 

Isn't one of the theories out there DTG is developing their own Flight sim?

It is not a theory; it's a fact. Just what that ends up being is what is still theoretical!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Very true, it is almost there, thanks to stonelance and a couple of other dedicated people. My only problem, after almost 500 hours in MS Flight is the six year old graphics jn FSX. MS Flight is so so much cleaner and it is all about the eye candy for me. I also hope that Dovetail is smart enough to use the Flight engine in their "new" sim. I will buy it.

Steve

All of what you said Steve - I'm 100% with you regarding MS FLIGHT!!! 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

It is great that Dovetail has re-released FSX:SE to a whole new bunch of gamers/simmers. This has to be, & is good for our expanding hobby. It has introduced flight simming to a brand new market, & maybe there are a new bunch of potential developers being introduced as well?

Imagine what would have been it Dovetail had taken a leaf out of Lockheed Martin's book when they released P3D & changed the default aircraft & gave us formally payware ones?

It would have really been great & would have diferentiated FSX:SE from normal FSX, if Dovetail had added some different aircraft. maybe there were licence issues?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

In my opinion p3d is not ready for prime time until its 64bit because the inherent problem of running out of memory is still present. Anyone can upgrade their system to handle it. I have a gtx 970 with an i7 4770K running at 4.7ghz and p3d runs beautiful on it but to avoid oom I have to turn down the very settings that make it so beautiful which brings it right back to the level of fsx.

Totally agree! 64bit is essential for any sim to move forward. For me P3D is not an option until it's 64bit.

X-Plane is 64bit now. I bought it on the December sale (50% off), and I have invested the last month setting it up. Using freeware only, it is unbelievably better than FSX/P3D in so many ways! Terrain rendering, especially in Europe, is far superior than FSX/P3D plus Orbx Global/Vector combo. HDR lighting is breathtaking. Flight physics, well try to compare default helicopters on FSX & X-Plane... Sure It has its flaws, like weak weather engine, no airport buildings, weak ATC. But it's ready for the future. Until P3D gets 64bit, with careful development and marketing planning X-Plane could be waay ahead.

Don't get me wrong, I have invested too much in FSX addons and FSX is still my main sim, but the potential I see in 64bit X-Plane is staggering.

• Upvote 1

Interesting conversations...

Like everyone else I have FSX which I use currently..purchased FSX SE but not used as ASN still not ready..and have even tried P3D?

Now which one is best...well that is personal opinion and what you want out of the sim..at the end of the day we are all simmers looking for the best running software..

FSX?. Well MS abandoned this but it still works and has improved albeit with the out of mem issues..

FSX SE yes the old sim but possibly being revamped into something new..early days but seems to be up there

P3D..very pretty but runs poorly no AA control no Vsynch control via Nvidia as they use a hybridised window system to project full screen... Not sure about this licence issue and the prices some software houses have proposed for their product when it finally gets done...but that is in the future.

They all have there merits,they all have there plus and minus points....but the one thing they do all give us is choice.....

Great to see development in their arena and long may it continue...

All the best

Totally agree! 64bit is essential for any sim to move forward. For me P3D is not an option until it's 64bit.

X-Plane is 64bit now. I bought it on the December sale (50% off), and I have invested the last month setting it up. Using freeware only, it is unbelievably better than FSX/P3D in so many ways! Terrain rendering, especially in Europe, is far superior than FSX/P3D plus Orbx Global/Vector combo. HDR lighting is breathtaking. Flight physics, well try to compare default helicopters on FSX & X-Plane... Sure It has its flaws, like weak weather engine, no airport buildings, weak ATC. But it's ready for the future. Until P3D gets 64bit, with careful development and marketing planning X-Plane could be waay ahead.

Don't get me wrong, I have invested too much in FSX addons and FSX is still my main sim, but the potential I see in 64bit X-Plane is staggering.

Except all features you liked have barely anything to do with the additional ram a 64bit software let you use.

I think there is just too much people glorifying this 64bit mode. There are simulators out there that offers better optimization without the need of being 64bit.

You are also comparing FSX, a game, i remind you, released in 2006 with Xplane that has an active developing team busy on optimizing its engine and updating it for the newest hardware

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Except all features you liked have barely anything to do with the additional ram a 64bit software let you use.

I think there is just too much people glorifying this 64bit mode. There are simulators out there that offers better optimization without the need of being 64bit.

According to this

p3d runs beautiful on it but to avoid oom I have to turn down the very settings that make it so beautiful which brings it right back to the level of fsx

it has to do with 64bit.  Except fligh dynamics, of course.

The point is that we have a sim now that is 64bit for which only the hardware is the limit. In FSX/P3D the 32bit software is the limit. Optimize it anyway you want. You will hit the wall sooner or later. It's not a preference, it's physics.

If that was the case, all other simulators and other games out there would have been converted to 64bit long ago. Why you think that didn't happen?

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Bonjour,

If code is not powerful in 32 bits, I do not see why it would be different with 64 bits.

Don't you think FSX-SE is necessarily better than FSX just because when Dovetail received the source code, it was the last one (stable) which was in development by ACES when Microsoft decided to stop.

This source code doesn't reflect the one we all have with FSX, but a better one with a lot of improvement not made by Dovetail, but by ACES.
FSX-SE was also produced with a new compiler, and this can add to the improvement.

Best regards
Claude

Claude Troncy