Sign in to follow this  
ahmed.alnoman

B777 Frame rates on P3D

Its likely that 2.4 is causing most of our frame rate loss / loss of performance, lets hope that 2.5 (which I hope arrives soon) will have much better performance and a lot of bug fixes. 

Its likely that 2.4 is causing most of our frame rate loss / loss of performance, lets hope that 2.5 (which I hope arrives soon) will have much better performance and a lot of bug fixes.

from the PMDG T7 P3D website:

(quote)

This is compatible only with Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D. (v2.2.x - v2.4.x)

(unquote)

This in the first place might mean that v2.5 includes a lot of ground breaking changes/improvements.
What it could mean in the second place I don't want to elaborate here, but it is all temporary... 

In the end it is nice to see that there are a lot of changes going on, of which most will lead to improvements. Same as it ever was...

I personally am looking forward to it...

PMDG 777 should work straight away in 2.5 no changes needed as a matter of fact Rob has posted a video of him using it in 2.5 - I haven't had one aircraft not work due to a LM upgrade

Rich Sennett

In the end it is nice to see that there are a lot of changes going on, of which most will lead to improvements. Same as it ever was...

I personally am looking forward to it...

One of the main reasons I switched to P3D. I love the fact LM are constantly updating it and making improvements to the core system as well as adding new features. The future for Prepar3D is bright in my eyes. 

PMDG 777 should work straight away in 2.5 no changes needed as a matter of fact Rob has posted a video of him using it in 2.5 - I haven't had one aircraft not work due to a LM upgrade

Good point.

I also remember a sentence of RSR stating that the P3D development to v3.x and (inbetween?) 64-bit could be a two years long roadmap. That for sure will be a time of frequent updates on both sides. (Hopefully somewhat coordinated.)

But as of my very positive experience with the "PMDG Operations Center " installing the T7-200LRF+300ER yesterday, am I quite sure that frequent small updates/patches will become a convenient thing for all three platforms (four incl. XP10). 

EDIT:

One of the main reasons I switched to P3D. I love the fact LM are constantly updating it and making improvements to the core system as well as adding new features. The future for Prepar3D is bright in my eyes. 

Right! That is actually what we are all here for.  B) 

The road sometimes feels a bit long though as some innovations don't come easy compared to other virtual reality simulation platforms.

But we FS people are used to a slower pace. (The rest still needs to be imagination...)

Edited by vr-pilot

It seems a lot of people are starting to realise that P3D is NOT the miracle cure for FSX that everyone hoped where you change to P3D and all of a sudden you can run everything on really high settings at blistering FPS.

My advice would be to turn off some shadows, reduce AA, lower some sliders. You cannot run the same level of sliders in P3D as FSX.

Should have read this post before purchasing. Same experience as FSX. The core technology of this product is outdated in my opinion. It  runs at about 17FPS on average in VC view. I get about 40FPS at cruise using the cockpit view. I then bring up the PFD, MFD, and MCP. I tested my other sim from PROSIM737 and I am getting at least 60-100FPS at cruise and 40-60fps when approaching and airport. Running a GTX970. 

AMD Threadripper 1950x 16 core, 32GB of RAM, SSD, Liquid Cooled. 

Something is seriously up with your systems if you only get 17FPS in VC. I'm running a 4 year old Dell laptop with dual core i5 and GT525M GPU and I get 15FPS!

I have now completed three ~3 hour flights in this lovely bird. I am using P3D version 2.3 and addons are ASN and ORBX Global/Vector. I am very impressed with the performance. I have the "fiber_time_fraction tweak" and then locked at 31 FPS. It seldom keeps FPS at that number but most often keep very close to the mark. I've been intermittently annoyed with microstutters and low performance with P3D, but the PMDG777 is among the best perfoming aircraft I have. And yet, I have not been disturbed by stutters or bad performance. 

Now if I just could find the time for a properly long flight... the NGX will also be insta-buy for me. 

Regards, 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Was really expecting more too here with P3D + PMDG but also quite dissapointed with the frame rates and hope this gets improved in a future update. I get about 25-30 fps (high settings with a strong system) which might seem ok but it is far from smooth and stutter free. When you start to pan around in the VC with the outside view it gets really sluggish for me.

This is particulary deceiving knowing the price tag and the fact that with my same system and high setting I get easily 40 fps and more with the another highly complex aircraft which is the DASH q400.  The additional FPS makes a huge difference for me in terms of smoothness on my system

Anthony brichart

Anthony

WIN 11 - MSFS 2020 - X-plane 12

i7 13700KF - ZOTAC OC - RTX 4080 - 4K

Was really expecting more too here with P3D + PMDG but also quite dissapointed with the frame rates and hope this gets improved in a future update. I get about 25-30 fps (high settings with a strong system) which might seem ok but it is far from smooth and stutter free. When you start to pan around in the VC with the outside view it gets really sluggish for me.

This is particulary deceiving knowing the price tag and the fact that with my same system and high setting I get easily 40 fps and more with the another highly complex aircraft which is the DASH q400.  The additional FPS makes a huge difference for me in terms of smoothness on my system

Anthony brichart

Anthony brichart

Hey Anthony, my guess is that you are using one of your core to 100%. I think you might need a few tweak to your config. I am getting very smooth FPS within P3D but I had to tweak it to get there.  I am flying between EGKK and LFPG as we speak and I am runnign at 27fps+ and I can pan from left to right. My CPU is busy between 51 to 75% use as per my monitoring software. Would you share your prepar3d.cfg settings and your graphics setting within the software ?

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Couldn't agree more Anthony. Getting 20-23 fps at best which looks ok(ish) on paper as p3d is smooth at these rates but this is not the case with this aircraft. Panning is not smooth at all and I'm encountering stutters even with the view static and forward facing which is not the case with any other aircraft.

However... frame rates from the cockpit view and spot view are 45-50. I can display all the main instrument panels in the cockpit view and frames rates remain high. It's only when switching back to the virtual cockpit when that frames rates practically halve, it just sucks all life out of the sim.

For the record my p3d setting sliders are low, have tried various affinity masks and fiber frame timing tweaks without improvement. As I've already mentioned, I'm getting 45-50 fps with no virtual cockpit on view so I know my rig and the sim itself are coping easily with the scenery and the loaded aircraft.

I think this demonstrates that the performance of the aircraft in p3d is excellent in terms of the systems modelling, flight dynamics and external model but the virtual cockpit is too demanding.

I sincerely hope that pmdg can address this in some way and optimise the VC of this magnificently modelled aircraft as at present it is unflyable for me.

Darren Morris

Hey Anthony, my guess is that you are using one of your core to 100%. I think you might need a few tweak to your config. I am getting very smooth FPS within P3D but I had to tweak it to get there. I am flying between EGKK and LFPG as we speak and I am runnign at 27fps+ and I can pan from left to right. My CPU is busy between 51 to 75% use as per my monitoring software. Would you share your prepar3d.cfg settings and your graphics setting within the software ?

Hi

Thanks for your help! I can send you my configuration tonight. But I have no problem with the action of panning from left to right it is when I pan around in the cockpit while on a sharp turn for example and looking outside it gets quite sluggish.

Once again the same action with the Dash 400 is night and day and so much smoother with much higher fps. So I doubt its my system, or cpu load no?

But people have been reporting smooth performance even with 20-25 which I find hard to believe but am willing to give it a try of course..

Anthony Brichart

Anthony

WIN 11 - MSFS 2020 - X-plane 12

i7 13700KF - ZOTAC OC - RTX 4080 - 4K

Hi

Thanks for your help! I can send you my configuration tonight. But I have no problem with the action of panning from left to right it is when I pan around in the cockpit while on a sharp turn for example and looking outside it gets quite sluggish.

Once again the same action with the Dash 400 is night and day and so much smoother with much higher fps. So I doubt its my system, or cpu load no?

But people have been reporting smooth performance even with 20-25 which I find hard to believe but am willing to give it a try of course..

Anthony Brichart

Have you tried lowering your settings? Remember FSX settings do not translate to P3D settings.

Anyone know of a way to disable aircraft from the Favorites List so that they do not get loaded from the Vehicles screen? In other words, I only want to use certain aircraft.