Sign in to follow this  
yorgosGK

Popcorn clouds continue in 2.5.12944

Hey looks interesting.

Are you using it straight or the reshade+SweetFX2.0 combination?

ReShade + SweetFX 2.0 I think crashed my simulator but that may be because I didn't follow instructions.  I am just running with ReShade now.   Works like a champ for me.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I shoudnt have to make my cloud textures bigger and lose performance because there is development issues.

REX has confirmed on their support board it is the weather engine.

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33492-why-do-my-clouds-look-like-popcorn/#entry245621

Very true however, until all the bugs are worked out, increasing the size to give a better visual experience and perhaps incurring a small performance hit may be a trade off some people are willing to make.

I really hope the next P3D release focus' on the weather engine.

I use ASN and Rex clouds and I very rarely see popcorn clouds. Once in a very great while I'll see a set of double clouds but other than that no issues.

The question really is -why do only some people see them? If it were REX then everyone using REX should see them, if it's the engine, same thing applies. It's the combination of products on some systems that produces the effect.

I'm just commenting so that everyone isn't running out dumping their textures or dumping their favorite weather engine. Like MOST problems with FSX/P3D/XP - it's a certain combo of products on certain systems that result in issues.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

This problem is only present in p3d, FSX is fine so maybe the p3d version of ASN

It is as different as chalk and cheese compared to FSX.

I have installed the same cumulus cloud texture set in both sims. In FSX all is looking fine and real, in P3D it is an awful looking cotton ball festival, even with no weather engine activated (standard weather without any selected weather theme).

The problem with ASN, it mostly make use of cumulus clouds and this reinforces the popcorn effect.

It's the different way of cloud rendering in P3D. Let's hope for the best LM will investigate into this and even optimize cloud performance with SGSSAA activated.

Intel i9 12900K, Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z690-A Wifi D4, GSkill 32gb, RTX 4090

Regards Chris Kathi

This problem is only present in p3d, FSX is fine so maybe the p3d version of ASN

Nope, others have reported same thing with Opus & Rex. And above, with default weather.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

So....After a few days on some support forums...We have a triangle of devs pointing fingers on each other claiming it is none of their software. Of course this leads to a deadzone for the user...

REX saying it is ASN weather engine>ASN saying it is REX>LM Saying it is ASN & REX basically I think for now it is up to us (for people that see this issue) to come up with a work around....Just another day of simming lol!

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

Let's just put it this way.   ASN is currently only a BETA for v2.5 while REX 4 is a full version.   I am siding with REX on this one.  ASN engine is beta and as such still has some kinks to work out.  Until then, 0.7 clouds seem to work fine for me.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Certainly ASN is beta, but I have never read any comment from the devs, that they will work on the popcorn clouds in a future release.

As it obviously does not work with REX engine too, it's up to LM to modify cloud appearance.

Intel i9 12900K, Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z690-A Wifi D4, GSkill 32gb, RTX 4090

Regards Chris Kathi

REALSIM preset in ASN along with a 0.64 Multiplier is okay for me at the moment. Going to be flying like this for the next little while!

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

I shoudnt have to make my cloud textures bigger and lose performance because there is development issues.

REX has confirmed on their support board it is the weather engine.

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33492-why-do-my-clouds-look-like-popcorn/#entry245621

But they are mistaken in saying that ASN tweaks will fix the problem. I saw your last 2 posts - indeed everyone is passing the buck. Meanwhile, our clouds look terrible.

All evidence points to P3D being the problem, as far as I can see. REX looks incredible with default FSX weather engine. REX looks even more outstanding with ASN in FSX.  And REX looks like tiled popcorn in P3D, with or without ASN (I have no experience with Opus). Seems obvious which piece of software needs to be tweaked to find a solution.

The issue is very simple in my opinion.

Popcorn clouds happen because you have cumulus sprites being used to render thin bands of cloud layers. Remember that clouds are just 2d pictures that rotate to your direction (a sprite).

The size of the sprite is determined by the thickness of the clouds layer. The thicker it is the less noticeable popcorn.

You can artificially upsize the clouds sprite by using cloud.Fx (a P3D fix).

You can elect to use stratus clouds instead of cumulus clouds (a REX theme fix) or you can adjust settings in ASN to adopt thicker cloud layers (ASN fix).

End result though... Low altitude thin bands clouds should not be rendered using a cumulus cloudset, nor should cumulonimbus clouds be injected by your weather engine as anything but a massively thick cloud layer.

You can elect to use stratus clouds instead of cumulus clouds (a REX theme fix) 

Hi,

have you a set of REX4 to suggest?

Thanks

End result though... Low altitude thin bands clouds should not be rendered using a cumulus cloudset, nor should cumulonimbus clouds be injected by your weather engine as anything but a massively thick cloud layer.

Exactly my find: With opus I get this popcorns, not so with FSGRW. This engine does what autogiro states. And yes, it looks less spectacular, but more real IMHO and on top of that there is a nice performance boost. At least on my rig...

Happy  Flying, Marcel