Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

Orbx/DTG joint press release tomorrow!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Microsoft Flight Forum" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Perhaps they're releasing FTX content onto Steam.  If so, nothing exciting, I guess.

Although, if one could transfer ones FSS purchases into Steam keys for Orbx products, I'd move to FSX Steam Edition in a heartbeat.  I've been lazy, and let my FTX products go un-updated for about the last year; going through now and updating everything needed is very, very time consuming.  If there's one thing that my extensive library of PC games on Steam has taught me, it's how painless installs and updates should be.

Perhaps they're releasing FTX content onto Steam.  If so, nothing exciting, I guess.

Although, if one could transfer ones FSS purchases into Steam keys for Orbx products, I'd move to FSX Steam Edition in a heartbeat.  I've been lazy, and let my FTX products go un-updated for about the last year; going through now and updating everything needed is very, very time consuming.  If there's one thing that my extensive library of PC games on Steam has taught me, it's how painless installs and updates should be.

Oh i think it would be great news Jimmy,  Updates/Installs only a simple click away.   Thing is though,  If Orbtx did release DCL into Steam  it would not dought a painful tooth pulling slow experience like X-Plane DCL has been,   you would end up waiting ages for your preferred stuff to be released.

Should be interesting though.  

Hope we get 37% or + sales on the FTX Steam DCL release  :lol:

Hope we get 37% or + sales on the FTX Steam DCL release  :lol:

:LMAO:  Would be cool 

I assume it's just their products coming to FSX-SE.

It's not like they are going to make something exclusive for FSX-SE.. woudn't be worth it.

I heard its a new flight Sim engine  :o  :o    Na probably The Orbtx stuff onto Steam 

It's not like they are going to make something exclusive for FSX-SE.. woudn't be worth it.

I'd imagine as part of the deal Dovetail would want some exclusivity on new products, maybe released on SE for a while before coming to the rest of us. They surely would insist on having some sort of hook. Wouldn't you? The deal has to be beneficial to both parties.

I think that a big exclusive content with developers like Orbx woudn't be beneficial for their popularity with everyone who is still on FSX and will have to wait more.

Did you see what happened when aerosoft pranked their player base for April's Fools about some content getting released on FSX-SE first.

I'd imagine as part of the deal Dovetail would want some exclusivity on new products, maybe released on SE for a while before coming to the rest of us. They surely would insist on having some sort of hook. Wouldn't you? The deal has to be beneficial to both parties.

Good call:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/96615-orbx-on-steam/?p=875770

EDIT:

It's out now:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/97417-orbx-dovetail-games-press-release/

Edited by olli4740

No access to that link, Oliver. Need to sign-in. Not a member.

Wow, how suprising! *yawn* :smile:

Dont think its a yawn for ORBX. They deserve every success they get...cant even imagine flight simming without them. Well done JV and Steam

No access to that link, Oliver. Need to sign-in. Not a member.

All it really says it this Rick

""DTG joint press release tomorrow, but it's about FSX:SE only""

Dont think its a yawn for ORBX. They deserve every success they get...cant even imagine flight simming without them. Well done JV and Steam

Very true indeed

They do deserve success, but not by screwing over a big chunk of their user base making them wait for releases on all platforms other than SE.

Don't panic folks!

John Venema, on 23 Apr 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:snapback.png

Anything we offer DTG for Steam will not be aimed at our core "Orbx enthusiast" core customer base, but the casual Steam gamer looking for simple to install DLCs for FSX:SE. This means no FTX Central, no Objectflow, no FTX regions or Global assumed, default autogen and mostly designed for default terrain. In other words, anything DTG publishes from Orbx will be unique to the platform and not really designed for our core customers.

Smart...

By removing ObjectFlow to make "lite" versions of whatever products they're planning on offering, they remove a big compatibility issue whenever FSX:SE gets updated. 

-Greg

Smart...

By removing ObjectFlow to make "lite" versions of whatever products they're planning on offering, they remove a big compatibility issue whenever FSX:SE gets updated. 

-Greg

Will still be an issue for the triple installers.

This means no FTX Central,

Really, No I wouldn't like that, I love my FTX Cetral 2, keeps all my bits and bobs up to date. Lite version? Not really a lite version person. Love the bells and whistles

Yep. JV explained further and I understand what they are doing. 

All publicity is good publicity. That's all this is!

Will still be an issue for the triple installers.

Not if it's for SE only.