Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

Orbx/DTG joint press release tomorrow!

Looks like their forum is down and can't read the release.

45 Mins later and its still down.       

Not if it's for SE only.

Very true

The partnership will enable Dovetail Games to publish new and existing Orbx add-on content for Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition on Steam. Under this agreement, brand new Orbx content released by Dovetail Games will have a 90-day exclusivity period on Steam before being made available on other channels.

Didn't know that,  interesting.  What do you think of that Jim  :o

The partnership must have been enough to bring down the ORBX forums. :lol:

Guess so. Not as exciting an announcement that people were probably hoping for.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Didn't know that,  interesting.  What do you think of that Jim

I hope they enjoy their watered down products and the real money will come from their MS/P3D offerings.

LOL. We should have a subforum called 'Ask Jim'.

On a more serious note - I have to agree with your comment, Jim

I hope they enjoy their watered down products and the real money will come from their MS/P3D offerings.

I'd be inclined to think they wouldn't have jumped into bed together if there wasn't a lot of real money to be made, businesses are like that. Steam is as far as I'm aware the foremost games distribution platform in the world after all, plus there's the future sim to be considered, Orbx have to be on that train. Forgive the pun.

Since DTG are looking at making a new sim it would make sense for orbx to have some kind of relationship with them. They could jump in at the start of that process. I doubt they are going to make a boat load of cash with quite a lot of the SE community - hence the watered down versions.

In retail there is something called a lost loser. It is used to get you into the store where you are going to purchase more or become more interested in a product line.

I'd be inclined to think they wouldn't have jumped into bed together if there wasn't a lot of real money to be made, businesses are like that.

Absolutely.

In retail there is something called a lost loser. It is used to get you into the store where you are going to purchase more or become more interested in a product line.

That's actually called a loss leader, but anyway...

I have no doubt that Orbx is hoping that their more limited steam offerings will generate additional interest in their more expensive products.  But I seriously doubt they're "losing" in any way on this deal, as I expect they're hoping to win on both the front and the back end.

Scott

Edit: and looking in more detail at JV's explanation now that the Orbx forum is back up, I have no doubt that this is a clever stragegy intended to make money both ways.  They're going to be releasing rudimentary airports for default scenery and then continue to flesh them out to eventually release full-featured products as non-steam versions.  Basically, they're helping to fund development with incremental revenue from casual Steam users.

S.

I think it is 100% great news. Orbx won't make rubbish, no matter how "simple" it might be. It will enhance FSX:SE and hopefully provide more revenue for Orbx so they can keep developing more great addons.

- Bill Magann

I think it is 100% great news. Orbx won't make rubbish, no matter how "simple" it might be. It will enhance FSX:SE and hopefully provide more revenue for Orbx so they can keep developing more great addons.

Agreed! It also opens the door so they can cooperate with Dovetail and be ready to release scenery for when the new MSFlight based sim comes out. They couldn't afford to be behind the curve on that, it'll be widely adopted unless Lockheed come out of the 64bit gate first. It's very interesting to watch it all slowly unfold.

Not to be too pedantic, but I believe that should be "loss leader"...

"Lost loser" is what we called our Scoutmaster after having gotten the entire troop lost in the woods. :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

LOL all, it's been too long.

The partnership must have been enough to bring down the ORBX forums. :lol:

A preview of a new release can do that LOL

ZORAN

Well I am all for progress but I hope JV hires some more folks. I fear I am going to die off old age before I see Open LC for US. LOL!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Are we sure that their "light" products are really that light, and not just the usual products without FTX Central?

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."