Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Flight1 GTN or RealityXP ?

I am kind of new to this type of avionics, having spent most of my flight sim time with the big jets.  I recently decided to buy some of the ORBX regions and I am thinking about upgrading the avionics in some of my payware/freeware GA aircraft.  Looking for a recommendation from the GA crowd as to which way to go with these GPS addons.  Also, I am confused as to whether I need two of them or just one ?

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Hi Mark,

Definitely the Flight1 GTN, it's much more advanced, has many more features like integrated maps, TAWS (Terrain Awareness and Warning System), fuel and v-calc, and when combined with the RealAir Duke Turbine, it gives you a pretty much unbeatable GA package. The RealityXP gauge is ages old, the data is very outdated, and it has no developer support. The Flight1 GTN has full support in their forums.

Cheers,

Jerome

I have both.  Also to consider...

• while you do have to buy the FSX and P3D versions of the Flight1 GTN separately, you can at least use it in P3D.  The RXP units don't have a P3D version. 
  • The terrain data with the GTN units is US only, so if you fly outside of the US, that could be a problem.  Some folks have looked into getting an expanded database that has data outside the US but I'm not aware of anyone who has that working.  Maybe they do, but I'm not aware of it.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Thanks for the information.  I only fly FSX and FSX-SE right now so I would only need that version.  Do you guys have two GPS's installed in the aircraft, sorry I am a bit confused on this point as to why you need multiple units and if you have to buy them separately.  I assume in RW you need this for redundancy but in the sim I would think one would be fine.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

• while you do have to buy the FSX and P3D versions of the Flight1 GTN separately, you can at least use it in P3D.  The RXP units don't have a P3D version. 
  • The terrain data with the GTN units is US only, so if you fly outside of the US, that could be a problem.  Some folks have looked into getting an expanded database that has data outside the US but I'm not aware of anyone who has that working.  Maybe they do, but I'm not aware of it.

I have used both, no contest its the GTN.  Data is much more up to date, and many of the top-tier addons (A2A, Flysimware, Milviz, Realair) have built in VC integration.  In fact if you don't mind a bit of modification, the new version of the GTN trainer was just released 6/8/2015, so you can use even more up to date databases! (except for terrain, that one is still 2014, and its not recommended or supported by Flight1 if you do this).  Also it is still in active development and has both support from Flight1 and a huge and growing user base.  Only downside is multiple license versions, so if one day you decide to switch to P3D2, you need to re-purchase.  The P3D2 version is also 15 USD more, but i cant imagine flying without it now!

Pretty sure I see terrain data in Europe as well on the latest version which is 1.08 or 1.09

actually, It seems that the terrain database is now worldwide on new version

Thanks for the information.  I only fly FSX and FSX-SE right now so I would only need that version.  Do you guys have two GPS's installed in the aircraft, sorry I am a bit confused on this point as to why you need multiple units and if you have to buy them separately.  I assume in RW you need this for redundancy but in the sim I would think one would be fine.

Suggest starting with the Flight1 GTN 750.   Fabulous gauge.

Install it in the RealAir Tubine Duke V2, or a2a C182 / Cherokee for starters.

The latest version comes with worldwide terrain data, so that is covered.

You can install two units in the Duke, but that is not commonly done.

The GTN 650 (separate purchase) fits in some panels where the 750 is too big to fit.

Example Carenado Bonanza.

Some aircraft have dual 650s in the panel, example Carenado Baron.

Depending on the aircraft, you might like the RXP GNS.. example Carenado B200

or Baytower RV7.. but that is old technology, and no longer supported as pointed out in an earlier post.

Bert

• The terrain data with the GTN units is US only, so if you fly outside of the US, that could be a problem.

Hi Gregg,

If you now use the latest GTN V5 PC Trainer, you get worldwide terrain data, as well as WAAS approaches outside of the USA, it's mentioned on the Flight1 product page too:

http://goo.gl/ZrO3ws

Garmin have just released an updated version of the V5 Trainer, that apparently has even newer data:

http://goo.gl/YNycl3

Flight1 are usually quick to update their GTN to be compatible with Garmin's latest trainer version.

Cheers,

Jerome

Hi Gregg,

If you now use the latest GTN V5 PC Trainer, you get worldwide terrain data, as well as WAAS approaches outside of the USA, it's mentioned on the Flight1 product page too:

http://goo.gl/ZrO3ws

Garmin have just released an updated version of the V5 Trainer, that apparently has even newer data:

http://goo.gl/YNycl3

Flight1 are usually quick to update their GTN to be compatible with Garmin's latest trainer version.

Cheers,

Jerome

So just installing Garmin's latest v5 trainer is all we have to do to update to newer data?  Simply download and install?

I am kind of new to this type of avionics, having spent most of my flight sim time with the big jets.  I recently decided to buy some of the ORBX regions and I am thinking about upgrading the avionics in some of my payware/freeware GA aircraft.  Looking for a recommendation from the GA crowd as to which way to go with these GPS addons.  Also, I am confused as to whether I need two of them or just one ?

I'm in the same place as you.  Having flown 99.999% tubeliners for the past 20 years in flight simming, I'm finally giving GA a real try.  It's completely refreshing to be able to literally go anywhere on the globe, not just the same routes/airports that the airlines fly(I flew my tubeliner stuff based on real world routes/schedules etc).

Anyway, I just got the Flight1 GTN750 and highly recommend it!!!!  One of the best purchases you can make I think.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

So just installing Garmin's latest v5 trainer is all we have to do to update to newer data?  Simply download and install?

I'm in the same place as you.  Having flown 99.999% tubeliners for the past 20 years in flight simming, I'm finally giving GA a real try.  It's completely refreshing to be able to literally go anywhere on the globe, not just the same routes/airports that the airlines fly(I flew my tubeliner stuff based on real world routes/schedules etc).

Anyway, I just got the Flight1 GTN750 and highly recommend it!!!!  One of the best purchases you can make I think.

No, its not supported yet, although you can manually take the database and add it to the current F1 version. Instructions are at the support forum on F1 site.

If you wish to be fully up to date, you would need to download the newest installer version and then uninstall the 'old Garmin Trainer' and then launch the new installer...

...both the new(er) Garmin Trainer and the GTN gauge(s) will be installed.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

No, its not supported yet, although you can manually take the database and add it to the current F1 version. Instructions are at the support forum on F1 site.

This is totally doable, but some users have reported that the new terrain db (all other dB's OK) doesn't work. Keep the 2014 terrain db from the previous trainer and update the rest (charts, nav, safetaxi, etc.). Worked great for me.

I have both... its up to you. IMO, the RXP looks nice in older aircrafts like the A2A Cherokee.

Is it true that you cannot use the RXP units and the GTN750 together?