Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

[Beta Preview] DC-6 for X-Plane

Thanks for the video Kyle! The DC-6 got me to plan a RTW trip, so I can't wait to fly it. I've also been looking at old United, Western, Pan Am, etc timetables online to get some more routes that it flew. Have you guys (PMDG) seen/considered trying to add reflections to the exterior of the aircraft? With the DC-6's metal fuselage, it would really add a lot of immersion when looking at the exterior.

Ps  They are definitely hills :lol:

One screen shot I have yet to see is what the Flight Engineers station looks like?

Are the controls and gages functional?

They used to have a cockpit crew of three back in the day.

So Kyle, could provide that at the next opportunity a screen shot of this?

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

One screen shot I have yet to see is what the Flight Engineers station looks like?

Bill Clark

I think someone asked that in another thread and the answer was that their is no flight engineer panel. The FE sits behind the throttles.

Did the aircraft not actually have a separate Engineers panel, or they just didn't put one in the PMDG version of the DC-6?

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

Beautiful! One of the reasons I "switched" to X-Plane...to get the full pleasure of flying a classic bird in a (IMO) better sim! 

Did the aircraft not actually have a separate Engineers panel

There was no engineer panel per se. Generally, the FE sat facing forward. There was an Ignition analyzer on a panel to his left (facing forward). I don't know if PMDG has that panel in their DC-6B. Considering their thoroughness it will be there.

Jim Morgan

thanks, Kyle.

Welcome. Thanks for saying thanks. Just noticed some idiot posted a comment on the video complaining that the first 3 minutes was spent looking at scenery. Super sorry for giving a preview of something you otherwise probably wouldn't have...right?  :rolleyes:

Can you provide a link or a pointer to it?

These screenshots (in this thread) are at defaults.

The video?

Mesh: http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-mesh-scenery-v3/

Map data: http://world2xplane.com/

Atmospheric effects: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=22387

...which requires FlyWithLUA: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=17468

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for the video Kyle! The DC-6 got me to plan a RTW trip, so I can't wait to fly it. I've also been looking at old United, Western, Pan Am, etc timetables online to get some more routes that it flew. Have you guys (PMDG) seen/considered trying to add reflections to the exterior of the aircraft? With the DC-6's metal fuselage, it would really add a lot of immersion when looking at the exterior.

Ps  They are definitely hills :lol:

You're welcome. And I'm not sure about reflections. I don't think X-Plane allows them, currently.

Bill Clark

The DC-6 doesn't have one like you're expecting. It's not like a DC-10, or Concorde. There's a seat that folds down in between the Capt and FO, and the FE simply manipulates some of the controls that the Capt and FO have access to.

Here's an example:

(if it doesn't automatically jump to 3:20, jump to 3:20)

Kyle Rodgers

You're welcome. And I'm not sure about reflections. I don't think X-Plane allows them, currently.

It doesn't have them built in, but some developers have recently been experimenting with them. Here's a link to one of them.

Edit: I just noticed a thread here on Avsim regarding the same thing

Welcome. Thanks for saying thanks. Just noticed some idiot posted a comment on the video complaining that the first 3 minutes was spent looking at scenery. Super sorry for giving a preview of something you otherwise probably wouldn't have...right? :rolleyes:

I'll say this: haters gonna hate. :)

Kyle, you've probably heard of G2XPL (Short for Google-to-X-Plane) that provides photoscenery. It works similarly to W2XP, which you already use - you gotta do some work yourself like downloading the OSM data (there used to be pre-rendered versions at SimHeaven but apparently they're gone now).

You also probably already know this too after having tweaked X-Plane for some time, but I'll say this for the benefit of others who may not. That's in general how much of X-Plane scenery/aeroplane development works there's always some DIY element to it. Some people don't like what's default, they make their own tweaks and edits and soon it builds up, and then they release it publicly. For example, there's a gigantic thread here that aims to completely re-do the 3D cockpit of the only payware B777 for X-Plane. And it all started as a "simple" project to fix a few levers and buttons.

Which means that when a large-scale developer such as PMDG enters X-Plane, it's a huge thing for us and they get the red carpet treatment.

I'll say this: haters gonna hate. :)

I guess...

I gave him the "gift horse in the mouth" line.

Kyle, you've probably heard of G2XPL (Short for Google-to-X-Plane) that provides photoscenery. It works similarly to W2XP, which you already use - you gotta do some work yourself like downloading the OSM data (there used to be pre-rendered versions at SimHeaven but apparently they're gone now).

Hadn't heard of it. Looks interesting. I'll have to compare how each renders my area, the Dolomites, and Norway on my system. Those are my benchmarks to a certain degree.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for sharing Kyle. The DC-6 really looks great as does your XP scenery. I know the  intent of the DC-6 project was not that of a real money maker, but I hope it does inspire the community at large to take an interest in these classics, especially the way only PMDG can do. Hope to see more classics the future but I'm not holding my breath.

Fresh set of new learning skills will  be inherent in this model which for me, helps keep my interest in this hobby. So nice to see PMDG doing something other than glass, if only for a brief time. I hope it will continue. I understand later model glass cockpit planes keep the wheels of commerce rolling, but this is such a refreshing and welcome change. Congrats and well done. Looks superb. I'm sure it will be just that.

Best,

Brian

These screenshots (in this thread) are at defaults.
The video?
Mesh:...

Thanks!

Hi, Kyle. Both a DC-6 and general development question: Have you guys managed to work around one of the most annoying, to my mind at least, characteristics of X-Plane. Namely the weird (incomplete) modeling of tire friction? Too many otherwise excellent X-Planes end up screeching and sliding all over the runway on arrival because of this. It really kills the immersion--no matter how well the planes behave while in the air--to have such a nice coda to a good approach ruined because the platform neglects ground-handling.

Bear in mind, this is not coming from an XP hater. Quite the contrary. I like almost everything else about it, which is why I'd love PMDG's effort not to be hobbled by one of the platform's longest-standing quirks.

Marshall