Sign in to follow this  
lencarne

Approach plates

Soooo  Wheres the best place to download approach plates etc without paying Jeppesons 600 dollars pa?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Soooo  Wheres the best place to download approach plates etc without paying Jeppesons 600 dollars pa?

United States?

AirNav.com

Other places?

I'm sure others can chime in.

All the UK plates are free, as are many european countries.

Kyle already mentioned airnav for US charts. Many countries typically will have them on the actual websites of their aviation authorities. For others, you can usually find free ones somewhere, though they'll probably be outdated.

For a $7-8/month subscription, or $60-ish upfront for a year, you can use Navigraph Charts, which I use. They're pretty good. LIDO format. They have an iPad app as well.

Skyvector is also a good source for US plates. They also just recently introduced a flight plan filing and briefing capability for real world fliers. We'll see if it stands the test of FAA regs. :/

Kyle already mentioned airnav for US charts. Many countries typically will have them on the actual websites of their aviation authorities. For others, you can usually find free ones somewhere, though they'll probably be outdated.

For a $7-8/month subscription, or $60-ish upfront for a year, you can use Navigraph Charts, which I use. They're pretty good. LIDO format. They have an iPad app as well.

+1 for the price of a pint of beer a month you can have them all at your finger tips

zoran maksic

+1 for the price of a pint of beer a month you can have them all at your finger tips

zoran maksic

That.

I'd go with Navigraph. I used free charts for a long time, but with Navigraph they are very predictable and always the same format/style which really helps, especially when landing.

I'm also still drinking many pints, so no hardship :D

We'll see if it stands the test of FAA regs. :/

Not sure what you're referring to here. Can you elaborate?

Skyvector is also a good source for US plates. They also just recently introduced a flight plan filing and briefing capability for real world fliers. We'll see if it stands the test of FAA regs. :/

Skyvector is not meant for real world, Kennedy4273

Sure. For any pilot, if you end up in an accident, and wx is deemed to be a factor, the FAA is going to check if you got a full weather briefing. Not just an ATIS or a TAF, a full wx briefing. As of right now, that is limited to a FSS or 1-800 WX BRIEF. Even getting the wx from ForeFlight on an iPad doesn't quite count (yet). Enter SkyVector. Their new briefing option includes a wx briefing, which I believe uses data from 1800 WX BRIEF. What I meant by my comment is we shall see if the SkyVector briefing becomes an FAA certified full wx briefing because it uses 1800 WX BRIEF data.

codeshris: Yes and no it is for real. They include the FAA AFD in their pages, and all the charts are procedures are the real charts. Was it an official source for nav charts: no. But since they added a filing option, my question is: Who/where are they filing the flight plan? I understand in the past it was totally not for official use, but why call the button "Briefing and Filing" if they're not actually filing it to anywhere official? Is it just to give it more realism?

Edit: Just checked their "Flight Planning and Filing Pilot's Guide" where it states "Press the "File Flight Plan" button to transmit your plan to Flight Services. Once it is in their system you can amend or cancel it through SkyVector, over the phone with FSS, or by using the web portal at 1800wxbrief.com. IFR Flights can be amended or canceled until 30 minutes before ETD. At that point you must contact ATC directly." 

So SkyVector can now file flight plans to flight services. It is for real world use after all (or this is the largest hoax I've ever seen).

I'd go with Navigraph. I used free charts for a long time, but with Navigraph they are very predictable and always the same format/style which really helps, especially when landing.

I agree with this 100% Couldn't have said it better myself.. (no pun intended Chris! ;))

FSS or 1-800 WX BRIEF

These are one in the same. That number directs you to the FSS operated by LM.

You're also missing a couple:

DTC DUAT and CSC DUATS were both services that pilots could alternately use. You could also obtain a QICP login for ADDS if that avenue seemed interesting.

...but see below.

Even getting the wx from ForeFlight on an iPad doesn't quite count (yet).

This is not true. ForeFlight obtained QICP certification in 2012.

...but all of this is moot since the FAA removed the requirement to utilize QICPs in August of 2013. Anyone who is telling you that there are approved, official avenues should be directed to the AC 00-62 Cancellation Memo. That being said, the use of SkyVector can certainly be used to brief and file.

Moreover, there was no such thing as an "official weather briefing" for Part 91 ops. The QICP stuff only applied to 91K, 121, and 135. See 91.103, as it makes no specific requirement of the pilot (though the other sections do, for obvious reasons).

AIM 5-1-1 states that "[e]very pilot is urged to receive a preflight briefing and to file a flight plan," but it does not further define where that briefing comes from, apart from noting that the FSS is somewhat of an "industry standard." Beyond that, the AIM carries no actual regulatory weight.

Now, I'm not condoning not getting a briefing at all, or doing all of this on your own (though the FAA has provided a self-brief guide for those who would like to), but there are no official sources, just as there is no requirement to have a chart in your possession*, for Part 91 flight. 

Don't believe me? See here (specifically point 3). Not condoning the practice, but it's a fact nonetheless.

Skyvector is not meant for real world, Kennedy4273

Actually, its original purpose was to provide the real world pilot community with a route planning tool, so your statement is not correct. The sim crowd merely adopted it because it is a free resource for the charts that pilots normally already procured for their flying requirements. The FBO listings, fuel prices and other functions kinda really drive that point home.

--------------------

I think this is a good example of the need to fact check. There's a lot of misinformation floating around in the aviation industry. It takes the collective of the people in aviation to curtail its spread. Please make sure to verify things people tell you. Even if it's me**, some pilot you know, or even your CFI. I've been guilty of my own share of not verifying information I was conveying. It happens, but definitely make sure to verify something before simply accepting it.

**EDIT: Especially if it's me.  :P

These are one in the same. That number directs you to the FSS operated by LM.

You're also missing a couple:

DTC DUAT and CSC DUATS were both services that pilots could alternately use. You could also obtain a QICP login for ADDS if that avenue seemed interesting

Thank you for reminding me of these services. Didn't know FSS and 1800wxbrief were one and the same.

This is not true. ForeFlight obtained QICP certification in 2012.

I thought they had, just wasn't sure, so i put "yet." Glad to hear it was approved.

...but all of this is moot since the FAA removed the requirement to utilize QICPs in August of 2013. Anyone who is telling you that there are approved, official avenues should be directed to the AC 00-62 Cancellation Memo. That being said, the use of SkyVector can certainly be used to brief and file.

Moreover, there was no such thing as an "official weather briefing" for Part 91 ops. The QICP stuff only applied to 91K, 121, and 135. See 91.103, as it makes no specific requirement of the pilot (though the other sections do, for obvious reasons).

AIM 5-1-1 states that "[e]very pilot is urged to receive a preflight briefing and to file a flight plan," but it does not further define where that briefing comes from, apart from noting that the FSS is somewhat of an "industry standard." Beyond that, the AIM carries no actual regulatory weight.

Now, I'm not condoning not getting a briefing at all, or doing all of this on your own (though the FAA has provided a self-brief guide for those who would like to), but there are no official sources, just as there is no requirement to have a chart in your possession*, for Part 91 flight. 

Don't believe me? See here (specifically point 3). Not condoning the practice, but it's a fact nonetheless.

Good to know. Thank you for clarifying. I will keep this in mind for my training. 

I think this is a good example of the need to fact check. There's a lot of misinformation floating around in the aviation industry. It takes the collective of the people in aviation to curtail its spread. Please make sure to verify things people tell you. Even if it's me**, some pilot you know, or even your CFI. I've been guilty of my own share of not verifying information I was conveying. It happens, but definitely make sure to verify something before simply accepting it.

**EDIT: Especially if it's me.  :P

Couldn't agree more. Thank you for clarifying everything. I should start looking into the rules and regs more, especially if I'm going to be a real world pilot.  :p0504:

On the side, thank you for all of your help in the NGX forums. You've helped countless of simmers understand your awesome aircraft. Keep up the good work! :clapping:

Couldn't agree more. Thank you for clarifying everything. I should start looking into the rules and regs more, especially if I'm going to be a real world pilot.

You're welcome. And I'm glad you saw the post for the facts and not as criticism. As I re-read it, I began to see how it could be interpreted in a negative way.

The regs themselves are a crazy amount of information, and I've only come to grips with them over many years of referring back to them whenever an odd topic popped up. That should be a habit everyone gets into, honestly. It really helps keep fresh on the knowledge, and over the years, it honestly starts to make better sense.

Start doing it with ground school, and especially when you start learning from your CFI. Don't be combative about it, of course, just verify tidbits after lessons and file it away in the brain about what the correct info is for later - nobody's perfect. If it's significant enough, you might want to point them to the reg in a neutral way. The chart and brief issue is probably better left unspoken, though. It may be true, but that's something they probably don't want to hear.

On the side, thank you for all of your help in the NGX forums. You've helped countless of simmers understand your awesome aircraft. Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

My VATSIM instructor gave me a pdf of the 7110.65 (ATC phraseology) which is a 5MB pdf  :o and very useful for VATSIM, but I have no idea where he found it. Where would I find the rest of the regs?

Navigraph on iPad!!!!! How did I miss that NOTAM!!!!!

On reflection, our sim world has come a long way!

Thank you!

You're welcome.

On reflection, our sim world has come a long way!

It certainly has! I remember running over to my neighbor's house when I was 10 (FS5.1 days) to grab his expired charts every so often. When I started flying at the local airport, I could usually grab the school's old plates, along with the expired ones that didn't sell over at the FBO. Once I got to college and had ready access to the internet (yeah, college, and "ready access to the internet" - I really didn't have that luxury around my sim comp until then), I used the FAA site to get to charts. It's really getting to the point where I take all of that for granted, though I do have some of the first charts I received around as a reminder, both of the kindness of my neighbor (more than the charts, he would also take me flying occasionally), and how far things have come.

It certainly has! I remember running over to my neighbor's house when I was 10 (FS5.1 days) to grab his expired charts every so often. When I started flying at the local airport, I could usually grab the school's old plates, along with the expired ones that didn't sell over at the FBO. Once I got to college and had ready access to the internet (yeah, college, and "ready access to the internet" - I really didn't have that luxury around my sim comp until then), I used the FAA site to get to charts. It's really getting to the point where I take all of that for granted, though I do have some of the first charts I received around as a reminder, both of the kindness of my neighbor (more than the charts, he would also take me flying occasionally), and how far things have come.

High 5 to your neighbour for taking you under his wing, sounds like a real gentleman; a rarity these days. Do you keep in touch with him? I got hooked into the industry by a similar, but single act of kindness of a 767 Captain as a boy. A fond memory to recall when the underlying passion starts to wane.