Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

New dovetails Flight simulator due in 2016 on both Xbox One and Windows 10

Do you guys only see doom and negativity all the time ? The console is just a lower end PC. I bet there is a lot of simmers out there that don't have the money to buy an H.O.T.A.S. They've already said, they building PC first. They will downscale for xbox one afterwall. The flight simming community is small and it seems that it's doing everything to keep it that way. Just overall very bad attitude. At least wait until the product is out before shutting it down. It was just a press release. You guys are already decided it was going to suck.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

The flight simming community is small and it seems that it's doing everything to keep it that way.

+1

The flight simming community is small and it seems that it's doing everything to keep it that way.

Cheers,

I am actually more afraid of a sim expecting you to use just a game pad for flying.

I wouldn't worry about it since some of the best military pilots and tank crews around the world use game-pad controllers these days. They are quite efficient and also ergonomically friendly, meaning there's less risk of suffering repetitive strain injury since the arms and hands can be kept close to the body rather than reaching out to a stick.

BBC- 'The surprising use of games controllers'

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20141212-press-x-press-y-fire-laser

'Russia reveals its latest tank is controlled by a PLAYSTATION controller' 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3082276/War-games-Russia-reveals-latest-tank-controlled-PLAYSTATION-controller.html

I wouldn't worry about it since some of the best military pilots and tank crews around the world use game-pad controllers...

In the case of the "mini Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) shown in the advert is the Desert Hawk 3"  I would say: the XBox controller somewhat "fits".

For the case "War games: Russia reveals its latest tank is controlled by a PLAYSTATION controller" I would say: propaganda is part of the business...

dirol.gif

Let's see if Boeing will skip the stick for a game pad. Then the DTG Next-Gen-FS for XBox and WIN10 could actually be ahead of its time...

Edited by vr-pilot

For the case "War games: Russia reveals its latest tank is controlled by a PLAYSTATION controller" I would say: propaganda is part of the business...

Yes I had my doubt too ...but it sounds quite legit....

"Instead of a bulky, complex steering wheel, the Kurganets-25 tank has a pad inspired by the PlayStation's which is "easier for a young soldier to familiarise himself with", according to Tractor Plants VP Albert Bakov, and is a form that Sony has spent decades perfecting.   Built to take out enemy infantry, the Kurganets-25 is actually not quite a tank, but it's a bit more serious than an armoured truck. It's currently being tested in Russia and should go into full-scale production in 2016".

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/war-games-russia-s-new-tanks-are-controlled-by-playstation-pads-1293927

The console is just a lower end PC

Hardware wise you are completely correct; but it's not about the hardware, it's the ethos of both parties.  You do see flight games on the consoles, they have had HAWX and Ace Combat, instant gratification, lots of explosions, action, noise.  Flight did attempt to appeal to this crowd with it's daily missions and cache hunting, yeah, it was quite fun for a while; but it certainly wasn't the same as FSX.  

I just don't see a basic fly from A to B simulator as being of any interest to the console gamers, it's just not what consoles are purchased for.  A continuation of the Flight bloodline is my confident prediction with even more DLC.  If we are confined to small areas then forget 64-bit, it won't be needed, in fact Train Simulator is still 32-bit, it doesn't need anything else because you are simulating a tiny (by comparison to FSX) area.  Train SImulator has me concerned for the future of Flight Simulator, TS does get yearly updates, but they appear to do very little; simply and occasional graphics tweaks to make your narrow corridor look good; oh and a bucket load of small and very expensive DLC.

I really don't understand the controller snobbery on here, if you want to use a PS3 controller, go ahead, whatever is best for you; even Airbus moved over to a Joystick rather than a Yoke.

Ian R Tyldesley

Hardware wise you are completely correct; but it's not about the hardware, it's the ethos of both parties.

Talk about stereotyping all console owner...

10 years ago, the common train of thoughts were that shooter were only for pc. Than a little game called Halo changed all that. In the same era, online multiplayer was an PC only affair. Nowadays, the most played game online is Halo and Call of Duty and an high % of their owner are on consoles. RTS on console as the same stigma, yet MS has succesfully release a game called Halo Wars on console and it was more than playable. It was fantastic.

Don't tell console owner what they will like or not like. Elite Dangerous is now on Xbox One and that's definitely not your typical console game. Heck Farming simulator is on console now. Let the market decide what they want or do not want. btw, an xbox one console is probably more powerfull than most flight simmers PC.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I just don't see a basic fly from A to B simulator as being of any interest to the console gamers, it's just not what consoles are purchased for.

Keep in mind that consoles are bought for all sorts of reasons, including just accessing the internet and playing blue ray DVDs and music. In addition Sony's Playstation for example has numerous 'games' for simply relaxing to, such as the amazing 'Flower' ..plus there are games like Heavy Rain which are a combination of video game, puzzle solver and an actual movie. 

...So I therefore suspect that many console users would be happy just flying from A to B in a flightsim, in the same way as many happily fly from A to B in GTA on both console and PC as we speak.....

..or even just walk around in the rain soaking up the amazing ambience ;-)........

https://youtu.be/nx1eN46839o

Do you guys only see doom and negativity all the time ? 

It has always been that way with Flight Simmers. Best example is when everyone was happy with Flight Simulator 5.1 running on MSDOS 6.22 with a boot disk, and then Microsoft decided to release WIndows 95 and then release Flight Simulator 95 exclusively to run in Windows 95 and no longer in DOS.....OH BOY I tell you the Flight Sim Community went crazy.    :shok:

How many people are still using MSDOS 6.22 with a boot disk to run MSFS 5.1 today???? Nobody

And yes you are correct their are a few in this community that don't take change very well and for them the sky is always falling, I also bet they get bent out of shape over too many other things if something as simple as a Flight Simulator stresses them out  :rolleyes:

This is a hobby so just enjoy it, if this hobby stresses you out then seriously consider another hobby   B)

Matthew Kane

Uncle Sam and Vlad using gamepads for Millitary tanks and planes not shocked at all. I play FSX steam now on my stemware alpha box with just a gamepad now as too lazy pull out equipment to make it realistic.

dovetail needs to make money on this and certain items will not be included with flight sim like FMC unit or simulating circuit breaker on full size 737.

I want eye candy from dovetail and I am willing to pay for Arizona and New Mexico DLC with 20 high detail airstrips in each state with regional autogen and landmarks at $20 to $40 per state. If it done well VFR flyers just delete Xplane and FSX from thier hard drives. I look at American Truck Simulator coming out and know the future of DLC right before my eyes.

Well yes X-Plane graphics look 20 years dated, but at least they're not wildly flickering.

Sorry only a massive improvement to FSX would make me reinstall all my stuff. Same for P3D, such a small FSX change, tesselation is all there is?

They need to redo the graphics with Vulkan. With Linux support it would be a no brainer buy.

What's the difference between a sim and a game?

What's the difference between a simmer and a gamer?

What's the difference between a PC and a console?

1. The amount of documentation and the need for a storyline and/or "gameplay"

2. The simmer reads the documentation

3. A console just works (at least that was the case in the old days when console gaming was a proprietary hardware gig).

LORBY-SI