He's flying a 130 KIAS final...120 over the numbers...seems fast. Also, he doesn't bring back any power until he flares.

Yep, but it's pretty clear this isn't a typical flight.  It's a short run into a large airport that the pilot has obviously done many times, and he manages the flight to be as fast as possible.  For normal circumstances he's waaay hot on that landing, but it's obviously exactly what he intends to be as fast and efficient as he can be.

One thing I noticed on the video. The pilot lowers MP to 26 and then lowers his RPM to 22. It looks like his MP rises to 29 when he does that. Is that what happens?

Sure is, and it highlights one of the limitations of FSX piston/prop modeling.

Scott

Sure is, and it highlights one of the limitations of FSX piston/prop modeling.

We need an app like HTR (Helicopter Total Realism) that fixes these issues.

EDIT:  In case you're not a helo-head (or an occasional helo-head, like myself), HTR is an app that runs outside of FSX that fixes FDEs for helicopters.  It's remarkable what it does.  I use it for the Milviz Bell 407 and it really does change the way it flies.  You have to have a profile for the aircraft you're flying...you launch the sim, load the aircraft and then start HDR and it does its magic.  Here's its forum:  http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=6111026e9f7cce3e3eea81706acbd3a1;act=SF;f=53

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Is there, seriously, no fuel selector switch in this aircraft?

Gregg Seipp

Is there, seriously, no fuel selector switch in this aircraft?

just found it this afternoon Greg, it's hidden away between the pilot and copilot seats , it's hard to get to but managed to set up a view with ezdoc.

bob

btw thanks for the Rev check list, printed it off to day.

Thank you!  Dear lord.

Next question...how do you tell how much fuel is in the inboard or outboard tanks.  The overhead fuel gauges don't move when you switch tanks.

Gregg Seipp

@acdelta57 hi! A little question, this model of Navajo has 310hp turbocharged, this is a C model following the engine model,the question is that the turbocharged engine it's well modeled or has some flaw in this model ? It's semejant to the RL plane? The engine behavior Mean.

Thank you!  Dear lord.

Next question...how do you tell how much fuel is in the inboard or outboard tanks.  The overhead fuel gauges don't move when you switch tanks.

Gregg sorry didn't get back, been away. Managed to get some indication on fuel gauge by switching on cross feed. ( switch between fuel selector )

apart from that it doesn't seem to matter what tank you have selected...odd!

bob

edit just done some more testing and getting something different, will have another go later.

My testing has indicated that the fuel system is not properly modeled.

Fuel gauges are not electrically operated, so they are always "on".

The fuel gauges also show total amount of fuel per side, switching the fuel selector between main and aux makes no difference, even when one tank is full and the other is empty, the gauge needle never indicates an empty tank as long as there is fuel in one tank.

The crossfeed control seems to do nothing.  Tanks empty on one side, full on the other, open the crossfeed and there is no transfer of fuel.  I even tried using the electric pumps, but no joy.

The fuel selectors themselves do not function correctly.  "Off" is definitely a shutoff position, but you can empty the main tanks, have full aux. tanks, set the selectors to main and the engines run perfectly.  So with this incorrect modelling, you simply set both sides to "main" and never have to worry about fuel because it will drain the auxillary tanks first, then automatically switch to the main tanks.

In a nutshell, it looks like they used the stock MicroSoft fuel system from the B350 Super King Air without any improvements and actually removed the crossfeed function.  Yes, the stock B350 does allow for crossfeed!

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

My testing has indicated that the fuel system is not properly modeled.

Fuel gauges are not electrically operated, so they are always "on".

The fuel gauges also show total amount of fuel per side, switching the fuel selector between main and aux makes no difference, even when one tank is full and the other is empty, the gauge needle never indicates an empty tank as long as there is fuel in one tank.

The crossfeed control seems to do nothing.  Tanks empty on one side, full on the other, open the crossfeed and there is no transfer of fuel.  I even tried using the electric pumps, but no joy.

The fuel selectors themselves do not function correctly.  "Off" is definitely a shutoff position, but you can empty the main tanks, have full aux. tanks, set the selectors to main and the engines run perfectly.  So with this incorrect modelling, you simply set both sides to "main" and never have to worry about fuel because it will drain the auxillary tanks first, then automatically switch to the main tanks.

In a nutshell, it looks like they used the stock MicroSoft fuel system from the B350 Super King Air without any improvements and actually removed the crossfeed function.  Yes, the stock B350 does allow for crossfeed!

Thanks for the input, just having another look at it, will try what you have suggested, only point I have at this moment is the left tank appears to go down at a different rate.

bob

I am admittedly late to this discussion, but I can confirm stans's critique of the fuel system.  Set both sides to "main" and forget it.  The aux tanks are indeed drained first, then the mains.  To bad Carenado didn't model the fuel management correctly.  Other than that, and a few other tiny "quirks", I like this airplane and have been flying it often, when the occasion calls for flying a twin.

Stew

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Stans - Cross feed doesn't pump fuel into another tank. Cross feed allows an engine on the opposite side of the fuselage to run using a fuel tank from the opposite side of itself. Port engine using a fuel tank from the starboard side, and vice-versa. Fuel transfer relocates fuel. Small planes like this do not have fuel transfer.

Don  

Did they model counter-rotating propellers and flight dynamic preventing critical engine handling problems?

Did they model counter-rotating propellers and flight dynamic preventing critical engine handling problems?

No, this is a 310, counter rotating props were used on the 325CR and 350.

No, and I don't know that Carenado has ever attempted in-depth modeling of engine management.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

No, this is a 310, counter rotating props were used on the 325CR and 350.

No, and I don't know that Carenado has ever attempted in-depth modeling of engine management.

Umm...His question relates to the Navajo PA31, not the Cessna C310, or am I mistaken?

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"