Sign in to follow this  
Howellerman

P3D V2 and V3 Do Not Co-exist

I have been slowly. cautiously, installing P3D V3 on my system.

Unfortunately, it has completely corrupted my version of P3D v2.5, in that the "Prepar3d V2 Files" under "Documents" no longer exists. Instead, they are now "Prepar3d v3 Files".

Guess what: all my flights, all my airports, from Prepar3D v2 are gone.

I am growing weary of this crap...

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Same here, the LM idea of full reinstall fr every update only goes to show that LM is still really a hardware company. Even freeware like SimLauncher does in-place  update how much more LM.

Don't do sim without a small office style backup system and capacity, I have 7T  storage in all. Restore has saved me too many times. I use Acronis 2015 and Windows Restore.

I use western digital 6T with internal 1T drive for faster backups.

Once you done first backup, youll be surprised how quickly incremental backup is made for 100s for gigabytes. Fight back the  p3d frustration with powerfull backup soltion that you know how to use well, AND TESTED FROM BOOT RECOVERY FROM STORAGE.

my p3d 2.5 still booting ok etc, so I assume its still ok, but if any major issues, I have many many incremental backups of the drive, enough to restore ANYTHING.

Basically out your trigger finger on that backup button for all moves made on sim pc, huge storage is the fire power.

Heads up I use Acronis 2015, used to use O&O disk image, purchased acronis 2015 due to unlimited cloud storage cheap subscription.

The resukt is that, acronis unlimited cloud storage starts off too slow, then gets slower the more stuff you put , basically O&O which is older product is better for day to day management issues. example only Acronis can move its backup files from A to B, nothing else undertsnads its file type to move it. Acronis though is very easy to understand from first view and does the job, but in detail many corners cut.

LM needs to stop this full reinstall, done more  install this year by very far compared to flying. But don't do sim at home without mega backup punch. 

Guest JustanotherPilot

No problems here...both v2.5 and v3 exist on the same drive, documents folders intact and use v2.5 when I want to play with an addon that isn't v3 ready yet.

+1 same here

+1. No problems whatsoever here. Why should there be? V2 and V3 are seperate programs with their own file structure. I would assume user error on your side...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

No problem at all.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Keine Probleme here. In fact the two co-exist very happily with separate, combined or modified versions of addons.

No problems at all.

V. 2.5 and v. 3 is on the same partition since 1. october without problems, LM is doing a good job wirth P3D.

Greetings  Kurt

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gb ram, RX 5700 XT 8Gb ram, 1TB SSD

No problems here... both installed without issue.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

No problems here - dumped that 2.5 version as fast as I could - adios - bye bye  :Big Grin:

Rich Sennett

No issues here. Under my documents I have a P3D v2.5 and P3D v3. Flying v3 for my P3D birds and v2.5 for Captain Sim and QW

Update: The installations of V3 and V2.5 co-exist fine on my SanDisk SSD.

For whatever reason, though, the installation of P3D V3 removed the "Prepar3D v2 Files" as I indicated. Fortunately, it was a link, and a new mklink brought content and name back together.

Have to say, I have really liked what I have seen in V3 so far. The lighting is nicer, and performance seems to be better, at least with my limited install of Orbx Global, PNW, and PFJ using the stock A36.

But, I will continue to be cautious!   :)

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I had no problems with the dual products either. Be aware that I have seen misuse of the EMT and/or the Mklink command cause these "strange disappearances". Not saying this was the case here but I have seen it.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Fortunately, it was a link, and a new mklink brought content and name back together.

It sound more like the symlink got corrupted, either by the V3 install or more likely just as a coincidence.