Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Which version to use

I'm doing a system recovery due to a computer problem . I've been using FSX Gold. My question is , would this be a good time to download FSX Steam only or something else? I have a ton of payware scenery and aircraft. .What would you do and why ?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Did you have problems with FSX Gold? 

I'd get the steam version. Just make sure that FSX Gold is completely removed from your system.

If you would like your ton of addons to all work again, I would re-install FSX Gold.

If you are feeling adventurous, you might try P3DV3.1 :wink:

I had FSX-Steam for months and I have yet to install it. Too many addons in my opinion don't work.

Make it easy on yourself. Go for the Gold. Everything will still work just as it always has.

Doug

I had both and with  my pretty rich catalogue of addons I have to say FSX Steam is the way to go due to various reasons such as:

* better VAS management

* higher performance on modern equipment (probably due to some interesting tweaks) 

* stability (never had any crash) 

Only those 3 were enough to convince me, but there is more. What I can tell you is I have no idea what addons don't work with Steam Edition (apart from some ancient ones), but maybe someone has different experience in this area. 

In the end it's up to you and your hardware. 

I was a little reluctant to move to FSX:SE for all the same reasons. My FSX Gold crashed for the umpteenth time, I got fed up with CTD's and bought FSX:SE in the sale last year. Never regretted it. Everything that I have works - and I mean everything: ASN, iFly737NG, RealAIr Duke Turbine, CS777, ORBX FTX Global, QW146, etc, etc. I had to look through a few forums for these addons to tweak small things like "Arm Spoilers" not working in the 737 but I got them all fixed through the forums. Been running Steam for 12 months now and NEVER crashed. I cant think of a reason for not moving - realty, I cant.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Rupert

The main things to note:

1. The Steam edition, along with its own version of simconnect, only installs simconnect version 61259 from the legacy FSX versions. Since many addons use 60905, or 61242, they will need to be installed as well, before reliable operation with many addons is achieved. Otherwise there may be CTDs showing ntdll.dll and stackhash exceptions as example.

2. The Steam edition has trouble with very long relative paths in the Scenery section. After installing some scenery, the scenery.cfg can be edited and the relative paths replaced with the full paths. Alternatively, FSX-SE can be installed in a short path created by the user, don't forget to add Modify permission for the Users group on that folder.

3. Many FSX-SE addons from Steam DLC won't be found by programs that have not been updated to work with the DLC structure, and will cause problems, unless the program can be successfully configured to find the Steam DLC items.

4. The Steam edition forces elevated permissions when starting up because the ProgramData\FSX folder Users Group does not have Modify permissions for Authenticated Users like FSX Gold does. The permission can be added, and the Steam fsx.exe altered to ignore elevating permissions, so as to work just like FSX Gold when starting up.

5. If the Steam edition FSX-SE is started with elevated permissions, then some addons and programs will only work correctly with FSX-SE if they too have elevated permissions to match it. Programs started by FSX-SE with the exe.xml file will start with the permissions of FSX-SE.

6. Addons that read and or write to FSX-SE application memory locations and offsets may need to be recompiled to work with those changes after every FSX Steam Edition update. It is best to make sure FSX-SE is run at least once from the Steam menu or Desktop icon before installing addons and programs that rely on FSX-SE properly installed.

7.  If you use Reality XP gauges (that indeed read and or write to FSX application memory locations and offsets), they will not work in FSX-SE.

After reading the post from SteveW I'm not sure if I want to try Steam. It sounds a little intimidating and I,m not a wiz when it comes to files.

If you have a lot of addons that do not have updates for steam edition, then you may run into some bumps in the road or even dead ends. If you install FSX-SE on a fresh system, and install the two legacy simconnect .msi's, most old addons will work as if on FSX. Anything updated since FSX-SE should work without further intervention.

Well that sounds better. Can you explain in more detail how to ; " and install the two legacy simconnect .msi's "

If you are feeling adventurous, you might try P3DV3.1 :wink:

+1

I saw the price of steam at about $ 5.00 is that right? If so I wonder why?

Once you've installed FSX-SE look in:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces"

double-click the .msi files:

..\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-RTM\SimConnect.msi

..\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-SP1\SimConnect.msi

I use FSX-SE because I can install FSX in one step. While the Gold version, you have to apply tweaks, uiautomationcore.dll, etc, before installing the add-ons. FSX-SE doesn't really need any tweaking, so I left my CFG file without tweaks.

Not to mention, you need to insert three disks during the install process. No disks required for FSX-SE as it's all digital. There's also no need to put in two separate activation keys for FSX Deluxe and Acceleration with Steam. With each key requiring you to load FSX once, close it and open it up again to begin flying. You just install it and it does everything for you.

Lot of talk here about the "Gold Version".

For clarity, I'd like to point out that there is no such thing as the "Gold" version.

FSX Gold is a marketing package that contains FSX Deluxe and FSX Acceleration, and the user has to choose which to install.

Since nobody has the "FSX Gold Version" installed, it would help clarity things if one would specify whether they installed FSX Deluxe or FSX Acceleration, though the primary changes are only a few additional scenery items and aircraft.

Happy flights moving into 2016!

FSX:SE goes on sale often.  I picked it up for about 7 dollars IIRC before the holiday.  Not sure why it was 7 and now it's 5, but a couple months back it was 25.  I doubt it's a huge seller anyhow.  FS is already a niche product, then it's 10 years old on top of that.  Not to mention there is X-Plane and Prepar3d. 

Personally for me, I never really got into FSX and only had the original FSX disc, not the Acceleration pack or anything.  They no longer sell them so unless you have the full set of DVDs you're left out really.  A good number of add-ons won't work without the full packages. 

I didn't want to spend a fortune on P3D and be disappointed, nor do I feel that X-Plane is there yet.  Neither really have a boatload of add-ons anyhow.  While I think that the future will be P3D and perhaps X-Plane, depending on add-ons, for now I chose to stick with FSX Steam.

FWIW, I am running steam just fine.  No weird issues at all.  PMDG 737NGX and MD-11 work flawlessly.  Yes the MD-11 isn't supported but it works.  You have the PMDG 777 as well, but I don't like long flights and wasn't driven to the 777 like I was the MD.  I just do short cargo hauls on the MD.  Then there is the RealAir Duke with integrated GTN 750 from Flight One.  The RealAir Duke is a beautifully crafted twin turbo.  The GTN 750 is basically the real GPS from Garmin.  An upgrade over the Reality XP 430/530, even though I loved those gauges.

There's also the Dash-8 from Majestic.  Another top-notch add-on that works in Steam.  I haven't bought it yet, but it's considered a high quality must-have.  A2A and Carenado appear to all work fine too, at least the newer birds.  A lot of scenery is GTG.

Personally I'd look a what you are wanting to do and what add-ons you want.  If they work in Steam then just get it.  I have had great success so far.

SteveW , I won't need to mess with those two files unless I want to download. older add ons, is that correct? If I download add ons compatable with steam, then all I have to do is download Steam , correct? I've been using. FSXAcceleration,

Even if you are starting with a clean slate you might expect not to need them but even updated addons continue to use the simconnect versions they were originally programmed for. Where's the problem installing those anyway? You can have any number of those files to no ill effect.

.msi files are like setup.exe files, they install software, other than double-clicking the file there's nothing else to do. But true if you only install addons *specifically designed for FSX-SE* they might still use the FSX simconnect versions. The FSX-SE install only installs the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-XPACK\SimConnect.msi for you. Simcoonnect versions are like menus of functions the programs can access, all the main code is in the sim and Windows. But anyway simconnect is the least of your problems once you set that up as I suggested.

Since nobody has the "FSX Gold Version" installed, it would help clarity things if one would specify whether they installed FSX Deluxe or FSX Acceleration, though the primary changes are only a few additional scenery items and aircraft.

Before I had FSX-SE, I had both FSX Deluxe and Acceleration installed.

I bought Steam for £5 a year ago and it's still sitting in my download folder. I have no plans to install it any time soon.

The main reason - and I haven't seen anyone else mention this which surprises me - is because I would lose the ability to use AES. I've paid well over £100 for all my credits and although I have GSX I would still be gutted to lose so much money.

Yes, Steam is slightly smoother, you get a few more fps and VAS handling is better but it's still not enough for this user to make the switch.

My main reason for staying with FSX:SP2 is compatibility with FSLabs ConcordeX but a version that will run with both Steam and P3D is currently in beta. But rather than switch to Steam I think it more likely I will eventually switch to P3D as it has more  long-term potential.

Steam is a short-term fix and has no future. It will soon be replaced by Dovetail's own sim and whatever that brings.

I saw the price of steam at about $ 5.00 is that right? If so I wonder why?

The'll get you later on the DLC.  :P

I gave it a try (FSX-SE) one month ago and never looked back. Performs and looks much better than FSX in my system. PMDG 777 and 737 work like a charm (even without the last VAS fix).

I am very happy with W10+FSX-SE. My pc never run fsx better than now.

Best.

Miquel

Most of our team of beta testers has moved to the Steam version and we are very happy we did. We have have a rather substantial amount if payware products, and most everything works except a few of the Flight products.

As usual, Steve's post regarding FSX:SE is right of target, though I don't think he meant it as a deturrent, but rather something which is technically accurate.

For the average FSX user who runs or will be installing a fair amount of addons, I strongly recommend a fresh install of Windows Before SWITCHING From FSX Disk to FSX Stesm.

Happy flights into 2016!