Sign in to follow this  
k1fox

Realair's Duke

Hey Simmers. I recently got back into Realair's piston Duke (V2) and I must say that it's a nicely simulated aircraft; I appreciate the work they have put into it as well as it's fast speed. However, I do notice that the Turbine Duke is way more popular. There are more reviews and discussions on forums. I have the first version which I used a few times a few years ago on my last system. Is version 2 of the Turbine definitely worth upgrading to? And what else would I fly to rival its speed when im duked out - A Pilatus or King Air? :Tounge: . Don't think I can go back to anything to much slower after jumping back in this lol.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I recently acquired the v2 duke and to be frank, it's utterly amazing.  I can't see myself getting duked out anytime soon.  It's just a great plane to fly.  It's climbs out like a raped ape and makes mountain departures a snooze, which I just love.  

The only other plane I have that rivals it's speed and aggressive climbing ability is the carenado TBM 850.    The TBM, although faster in cruise does not have the same climb potential.  The TBM to me isn't quite as nice to fly but it's still not bad at all.  There is also a mod available to put the GTN into the TBM which is a must for me.  Though the duke v2 has dual GTN capability, pure bliss.   

The PC12 has a larger capacity, if you are flying FSE.  And is also a great plane to fly, although I really don't consider it to be in the same class of aircraft.  I haven't got any king air to comment on.

My opinion, get it, it's a brilliant aircraft that I feel realair absolutely nailed.  

I never flew the V1 T-Duke, but I can assure you that the v2 is a wonderful aircraft. I got the GTN750 installed and that's an amazing combination. I've got the piston Duke, but since I've got the T-Duke, I actually never used it anymore...

If you're looking for the next step, a King Air would be great addition, but also the Majestic Dash8 is a wonderful aircraft, awesome graphics as well as systems.

Another option would be to get one of the PMDGs, the 737, or 777 (and hopefully soon, the 747 v2), is again a nice step up from the Dash and if you're really looking for ultimate speed and complex procedures, early this month FSL released a new version of it's Concorde X. It's pretty complex, but a joy to fly! I dont think there's anything around with more speed, or buttons to push. :P

The Turbine Duke will keep you on your toes - tons of power - easy to over speed. It's actually not very fast at altitude because of its vmo speed of 198kias. It will do about 250/260 KTAS at FL250. A king air 200 with mods will do 320 KTAS at 260. The TBM 850 about the same, the latest TBM 900 will do 330 KTAS at 260.

You can actually get Realair's v2 Legacy (the turbocharged one) into the lower flight levels and go faster than the T Duke hehe

I agree that the Turbine Duke is an amazing aircraft, arguably the best turbine GA twin for FSX and even better with the GTN-750. The detail is amazing and its systems are amazingly well replicated. Personally it has become one of my most flown aircraft and I have no doubt that if you enjoy the piston Duke you will also enjoy this - perhaps even more.

Thanks for the replies guys. This has to be the most loved plane for the Flight Sim community. Looking forward to getting the new one after doing a few flights with V1 again.

Cockpit night lighting is a big negative, the only negative for me. ( I like flying at night and to have options with backlighting and dome all controlled by what I want not only 1 option ) Everything else about the V2 Duke and Turbine is flawless.

The only  thing  that  a  issue  with mine  is  the  taxi speed, need to have  the brakes  on whilst  taxing  other  wise its like driving  a  f1  around the  taxiways:)

Hi!

One big answer is unfortunately still missing!

Is no one able to say is it worth to upgrade?Where are the differences- Version1/ Version2?

Scott

The only  thing  that  a  issue  with mine  is  the  taxi speed, need to have  the brakes  on whilst  taxing  other  wise its like driving  a  f1  around the  taxiways:)

Even with brakes on my still move forward.

Graphically it's a lot nicer

Has GTN support and native P3D support

For me it's worth it

Graphically it's a lot nicer

Has GTN support and native P3D support

For me it's worth it

+1 for that.

I wouldn't have thought it was possible to make the V1 Turbine Duke much better, but Real Air have succeeded in that. The V2 Turbine Duke, in terms of realism and systems replication, is probably the GA equivalent of the Majestic Q400 - an absolutely excellent aircraft. There are long lists of the many changes that Real Air have made on the vendors sales page for anyone who wants to know the details.

Bill

Even with brakes on my still move forward.

If you have a reasonably high fuel load (half to full) the Duke will not move at idle power, and  will not creep forward IF you pull the condition lever back to near the lowest point. The condition lever acts as an idle throttle boost and should be set low on the ground. Please have a read of the flying guide which explains all of this in detail!

The condition lever acts as an idle throttle boost and should be set low on the ground. Please have a read of the flying guide which explains all of this in detail!

I  have  my condition levers  nearly  in reverse   and  still need the brakes  applied or  else  its  a f1 :)

I  have  my condition levers  nearly  in reverse   and  still need the brakes  applied or  else  its  a f1 :)

...then it must be your power levers not being at zero thrust. You can check this by temporarily disabling your joystick (controls menu) then press the standard F1 key which forces absolute idle (zero thrust). I can assure you that if the condition lever is right back to the first white mark and the fuel load is half to full, you should not see any creep.

The Turbine Duke will keep you on your toes - tons of power - easy to over speed.

Must be my years at Honda working in the motorcycle division and riding some incredible sport and sport touring motorcycles that help me easily manage the power and thus speed of the TDv2! LOL!  "It's all in the right wrist!" (if you are in the left seat)

then it must be your power levers not being at zero thrust. You can check this by temporarily disabling your joystick (controls menu) then press the standard F1 key which forces absolute idle (zero thrust). I can assure you that if the condition lever is right back to the first white mark and the fuel load is half to full, you should not see any creep.

Forgot  to mentioned  its perfect   using  the v1  version but  as  soon  as I select  any of  the v2  version  then I got  no control  over  taxi speed, it  increases   and  the only  was  is  to hold  the brake  on  till  I get  to the rwy  and  take  off

Forgot  to mentioned  its perfect   using  the v1  version but  as  soon  as I select  any of  the v2  version  then I got  no control  over  taxi speed, it  increases   and  the only  was  is  to hold  the brake  on  till  I get  to the rwy  and  take  off

Why not get in touch via email support with your order number and we'll sort it out. There is something up with your V2 because that should not happen.

Errrr...seems to be some confusion here between the power levers and the condition levers.  Condition levers are on the far right, and full forward is high idle, the first index (~middle range) is low idle, and full aft is cutoff.  There is no reverser position on the condition levers--reversers are operated with the power levers.

So you need to pull the condition levers back to low idle during ground ops.  That, together with having the power levers at idle should do the trick.

Regards

Also if you're using any kind of ground friction patch the T. Duke will roll more easily than it was intended to. I think there's one called "FS frictionality" and also FSUIPC has the capability with PatchSIM1friction=Yes in the FSUIPC.ini. I've used the latter though and with the condition levers at 30-ish% or less the Duke still doesn't roll on it's own with any realistic payload.

It's just occured to me also (and thanks to Bob Scott for suggesting this) that saying "I have my condition levers nearly in reverse" might indicate you are pulling the wrong levers. Forgive me if I have jumped to conclusions, but the condition levers are not capable of "reverse". Maybe you are just using a metaphor or figure of speech. Have you read the guide? It explains in great detail what the condition levers do.

The power levers control engine power and are on the left. The condition levers control idle power and are on the right. If the condition levers are pushed forward to any degree they will in effect increase idle power to that which can move the Duke even if the power levers (on the left) are at absolute idle.

The power levers have two detents: forward and reverse. In reverse (or beta) they act as a prop lever does in reversing the angle of the props and applying power. That either decelerates the Duke or if you pull right back applies reverse prop and full reverse power. If you set them at absolute idle the Duke can still go forwards if the condition levers are set forward of minimum, because they ACT as an idle power boost.

Can you please confirm you understand the functions and that you have read the flying guide? If you have and there is still a problem please contact me with your order number and I will carry on supporting you via email, which is our method of support. Thanks.

It's just occured to me also (and thanks to Bob Scott for suggesting this) that saying "I have my condition levers nearly in reverse" might indicate you are pulling the wrong levers. Forgive me if I have jumped to conclusions, but the condition levers are not capable of "reverse". Maybe you are just using a metaphor or figure of speech. Have you read the guide? It explains in great detail what the condition levers do.

Thx  for  some  strange  reason now  everything is  back  as  the  v1   performs  and  yes  I  did  have  the condition levers to low  idle  anyways   everything  is  fine  again

Hi Folks,

A little comedy about real world Dukes posted on AOPA a while back - I thought it was funny - figured I'd share...

Look Cool in a Duke

Regards,

Scott

Ok so having gotten Turbine Duke V2 and completing a few flights with it I can honestly say that it is a very nice and realistic plane. Realair did a good job on modelling it and I can see why it has gotten such good feedback. I like how the engine temps must be properly monitored or else they fail; it gives you added responsibility and realism. This is something that needs to come standard on all FS addon planes. Hopefully Realair models another good aircraft soon.