Sign in to follow this  
richjb2

P3D 64 bit status

It's bad for me

Its all about personal needs/taste. 

I don't have P3D on my hard drive, it ain't worthy of it.

The fact that is a 32 bit app and seeing people having to worry about VAS when flying from point A to point B, having to save current position in the middle of flight just cause they need to restart the pc in order to gain precious  VAS so they can finish the 2hr fligh is just ridiculous. Graphics wise yes, P3D looks ok, but from my perspective it looks too cartoonish for my taste.

Another turn down for me is having to go through hell and back when upgrading from one version to another, I mean it takes people the whole weekend or more just to get back flying when upgrading....and you call that luck!!!!

If it wasn't for that beautiful lady Poppet who has spent hours creating a Installation bible, Im sure lots of people would be totally lost trying to upgrade.

No thank you, I'll keep my ugly sim as I rather be flying then staring at a VAS monitor or looking at mountains grow in from of me...oh and did I mention that It takes me just a couple of minutes to upgrade to latest Release Candidate???

Good luck on you next upgrade!

• Upvote 2

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Its all about personal needs/taste. 

I don't have P3D on my hard drive, it ain't worthy of it.

The fact that is a 32 bit app and seeing people having to worry about VAS when flying from point A to point B, having to save current position in the middle of flight just cause they need to restart the pc in order to gain precious  VAS so they can finish the 2hr fligh is just ridiculous. Graphics wise yes, P3D looks ok, but from my perspective it looks too cartoonish for my taste.

Another turn down for me is having to go through hell and back when upgrading from one version to another, I mean it takes people the whole weekend or more just to get back flying when upgrading....and you call that luck!!!!

If it wasn't for that beautiful lady Poppet who has spent hours creating a Installation bible, Im sure lots of people would be totally lost trying to upgrade.

No thank you, I'll keep my ugly sim as I rather be flying then staring at a VAS monitor or looking at mountains grow in from of me...oh and did I mention that It takes me just a couple of minutes to upgrade to latest Release Candidate???

Good luck on you next upgrade!

I have never had an OOM on P3D, ever. Don't have to restart PC. watch VAS. etc, so all that discussion is totally irrelevant to me. As far as the look of it, when I tried X Plane. it looked to me like a game on my smartphone. But as they say, different strokes for different folks. One of these decades Austin will get it right, I guess.  :wink:

As far as the upgrade issue I agree, and the trick to that is to read the release notes, see if anything is of interest, and if so make sure you have a backup of the version you are running before upgrading  You can always count on a number of people that will update 5 microseconds after it is released, and you can wait to see what happens to them for a couple of weeks before upgrading. 

What I don't bother doing is hanging out on a Forum devoted to X Plane, and try to convince people that P3D is better than X Plane.  

• Upvote 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

it looked to me like a game on my smartphone.

lol...good one Bob

I suppose you are talking about the demo, and I do agree with you, the demo just doesn't do XP justice (hopefully that will change some day).

Missing in XP I would say it's just seasons, ATC is being overhauled and form the clouds stand point I love XP's original true 3D clouds, they give you quite an immersion thrill going through them and with the latest cards like the 970 I have it set to 100% puffs with no performance hit.  We have lots and lots of high quality freeware...XP will only get better as it matures.

Like you very well put it. Different strokes for different folks....I think we can both agree on it

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

The cost of the 64 bit upgrade of P3D won't be a real problem. The real problem will be the cost of all the addons that will have to be updated. Another problem will be the question if and when those addons will be updated. I think the 64 bit version of P3D will be the first sim I won't get on the day of release. I will only buy it once enough addons are available for it. I don't expect the cost of it all will be a real problem for me because in the end I simply want to be part of the simming future, no matter what. Luckily I only use a few addons. I pity those who own hundreds of addon planes and addon airports.

This was pretty much how I felt. I recently bought version 3 and I did ask myself should I wait for the (unconfirmed) 64bit version. But I came to the same conclusion as yourself.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Wow , 5 pages on a Flightsim that not even has been released or has been announced to be released anytime soon ...

I am enjoying the 32 bit version to the fullesr.

Never had any OOMs...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Flightsimmers love to dream..........

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Actually, most of the 5 pages is not about the not yet announced Flightsim but opinions about the other one already released.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Dont want to start a flame session but I tried xplane and although it has some cool features liked curved runways and the night lights look cool everything else just feels bland, Not to mention the controls setup isnt very easy to do. Love p3d and thankful LH has continued to develop this aging platform and trying to get the most out of it. 

the exact reason i gave up on xplane. the user interface & controls are not user friendly at all.

Muntasir Ahmed

I have never had an OOM on P3D, ever. Don't have to restart PC. watch VAS. etc, so all that discussion is totally irrelevant to me. As far as the look of it, when I tried X Plane. it looked to me like a game on my smartphone. But as they say, different strokes for different folks. One of these decades Austin will get it right, I guess.  :wink:

As far as the upgrade issue I agree, and the trick to that is to read the release notes, see if anything is of interest, and if so make sure you have a backup of the version you are running before upgrading  You can always count on a number of people that will update 5 microseconds after it is released, and you can wait to see what happens to them for a couple of weeks before upgrading. 

What I don't bother doing is hanging out on a Forum devoted to X Plane, and try to convince people that P3D is better than X Plane.  

I'm with that, too. This discussion, excuse me if I look harsh, for me is 100% irrelevant.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

This discussion, excuse me if I look harsh, for me is 100% irrelevant.

Cheers, Ed

No its not, brother, cause you posted in it...heh.

XPX has many challenges to overcome before it can match the immersion of decrepit FSX.

Now pondering the merits of P3D...biggest issue is I fear the price of the PMDG 747 v2 for P3D.

spacer.png

At least it's easier to update and install add-ons in X-Plane than FSX/P3D. You all know what a PITA it is when a new update comes out for P3D. I see so many people asking about client install, and all this stuff, and that's not even mentioning installing add-on sceneries. What a joke. X-Plane doesn't need to mess with that pesky registry thing that you call it in windows. I've given up on FSX many years ago, and now I'm on the verge of giving up on P3D as well. X-Plane looks more amazing to me with 3rd party add-ons. Now if you're comparing vanilla install of P3D to vanilla X-plane, then I agree, both look ugly. But look at this and tell me if you think this is ugly, and btw I have the same scenery for FSX/P3D as well, and it looks miles better in X-Plane than it does in P3D.

• Upvote 4

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

No its not, brother, cause you posted in it...heh.

Hi, you're probably right!

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I have never had an OOM on P3D, ever. Don't have to restart PC. watch VAS. etc, so all that discussion is totally irrelevant to me. 

I am enjoying the 32 bit version to the fullesr.

Never had any OOMs...

While the 64 bit version is enjoyable, you guys do realize that we are specifically talking about 64 bit because it would largely alleviate the OOM problems that many, if not most, pilots have in P3D. You all are likely the minority and of course it is dependent on your type of flying, planes, scenery etc. Anyone that flies heavy metal aircraft from PMDG and the likes, has likely also seen an immersion breaking OOM on a few occasions. 

• Upvote 4

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

WOW!!!  Came in here to see what's up and what you get....  who's got the better sim. Xplane has nothing to do with this at all. Each of us fly a particular sim for a reason, not just because it's better, but enjoyable.

• Upvote 3

WOW!!!  Came in here to see what's up and what you get....  who's got the better sim. Xplane has nothing to do with this at all. Each of us fly a particular sim for a reason, not just because it's better, but enjoyable.

Agreed.

But seems that someone in this thread has repeatedly bashing other platforms which gives me a feeling that "That particular platform is the king and the others are rubbish".

--------------

Now back to the topic.

I am among those who support 64bit. Bigger memory, bigger joy.

But...

1. IMHO LM will consider move P3D into 64bit when the majority of P3D users have the need for 64bit.

2. I am not sure the proportion of "Academic license" users among all P3D users, but I believe nearly all "entertainment" users of P3D acquire "Academic" verison (sorry just speculation but no scientific stats. Feel free to challenge me if I am wrong). I also believe that these "entertainment" usage will require tons of VAS-hungry addons.

If the Academic license users share the largest P3D user base, then 1+2 should be correct. That means the "entertainment" usage has the biggest need for 64bit.

Then EULA becomes a serious question.

-----------------------

If the majority of P3D users are goverments, aviation industry users and military customers, then it's up to their need. Will they all install Orbx, REX, PMDG and other VAS-hungry monsters or they develop their own addons? I don't know. I only know that we have little influence on these giant companies/LM making the change.

Just my two cents.