Sign in to follow this  
radial360

GTX1080, stutters and how I seem to have solved them!

Good morning everyone,

just a quick heads up... last week, I was experiencing some really good performance with my new 4K setup,  but every few seconds I was getting some stutters or long frames.

It seems like 2 things might have sorted the issue:

1) Updating the Nvidia Drivers of my 1080GTX to the latest ones from July 6th (368.69).

2) In NVI, I set for p3d PreRenderedFrames=1

I don't know if it is a combination of both things, or just one of them, but I have noticed a dramatical increase in my smoothness and performance.

Running a 6700K OC @4.9, P3d on SSD, 1080GTX, 4K Monitor with GSYNC Active, No AM, HT OFF. Solid 60FPS all maxed out on PMDG737 out of LFMN from JustSim, AS ON, usual FTX Vector and Global with REX.

Hope it helps you guys.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'll bet it was the new driver. I recently went to 368.22 with my GTX980/4k setup and noticed a significant improvement in smoothness.

I'll bet it was the new driver. I recently went to 368.22 with my GTX980/4k setup and noticed a significant improvement in smoothness.

So did you downgrade to those drivers or are those the most current ones?

Hi Angelo!

As we have a very similar set up... are you running HT or AM at all in your system? Gio

HT Off, AM in my cfg I believe is NOT present, if it is its the simple 14 code if I am not mistaken. I will take a look when I get home for sure. What is you CPU Voltage set to? Manual mode and what v?

Hi Angelo!

As we have a very similar set up... are you running HT or AM at all in your system? Gio

As do I -  and I am running into a few issues on my end after getting an RMA replacement 980. Would you mind PMing me a copy of your CFG and NIP (if applicable)? 

They were the last ones i upgraded to.. about a month ago or so. They work well so I've felt little need to upgrading again. I assumed that whatever NVidia did in that version is still part of the most 368.69 set and why the OP is enjoying improvements in smoothness as well. I suppose it's possible that they've done even more to benefit P3D since 368.22. Only Radial360 can tell us what version he upgraded FROM to enjoy his current level of smoothness.

My 1080 is in the mail ;) Going from a GTX970.

What is AM? and how would I turn it on

is HT hyperthreading and if so how do I turn it off?

Good morning everyone,

just a quick heads up... last week, I was experiencing some really good performance with my new 4K setup,  but every few seconds I was getting some stutters or long frames.

It seems like 2 things might have sorted the issue:

1) Updating the Nvidia Drivers of my 1080GTX to the latest ones from July 6th (368.69).

2) In NVI, I set for p3d PreRenderedFrames=1

I don't know if it is a combination of both things, or just one of them, but I have noticed a dramatical increase in my smoothness and performance.

Running a 6700K OC @4.9, P3d on SSD, 1080GTX, 4K Monitor with GSYNC Active, No AM, HT OFF. Solid 60FPS all maxed out on PMDG737 out of LFMN from JustSim, AS ON, usual FTX Vector and Global with REX.

Hope it helps you guys.

When you say maxed out, do you mean everything or just certain things? and you manage to OC your cpu to 4.9GHz, what kind of cooling, is that kind of OC difficult to achieve with the 6700k? I'm curious to know more about your system specs, could you post it.

Hi guys,

my P3D is quite stock. Only added FFTF 0.01 and a TEXT_BAND_MULT=120.

Ht is HyperThreading and you disable it on the BIOS. AM is Affinity Mask.

My OC is on liquid cooling... only way I could achieve it was with no HT as the HT significantly increases the heat. Been running this setup since october, and works flawlessly... I upgraded the 980ti for a 1080 and wouldn't go back to be honest. My 1080 is OCed as well using AfterBurner.

Settings are as per Rob's website Very High for P3dV3.2

Gio

My OC is on liquid cooling... only way I could achieve it was with no HT as the HT significantly increases the heat.

Amen.  My 6700K with liquid cooling is just about maxed out at 4.7GHz with HT on.  I use an AM of 84 which seems to keep the load spread rather well.  I have a GTX980Ti and not sure the 1080 will do much for me yet, not using a 4K monitor but the Samsung 2K 31-in looks very good.  I keep my frame rate locked at 35 but unlocked I'll see frame rates in the 100s.  Not sure of the advantage to running HT off other than the cooling.... always an interesting discussion.

Is it confirmed p3d v3 accepts FFTF=0.01 or does it default to some other value?

no I mean does it accept 0.01? in fsx 0.1 was said to be the lowest it would go

Yes it does but does not work for everyone - doesnt work well here - I dont put that in my cfg at all - try it nothing to loose 

I upgraded the 980ti for a 1080 and wouldn't go back to be honest.

What was the performance of your 980ti on 4k? I am just in the process of getting an MSI GTX 1070 or 1080 Gaming X and the 1070 would equal the 980ti from what I read.

My 1080 is in the mail ;) Going from a GTX970.

You'll love it!!! 

If your Rockin' 3.3.5 and a 1080 Pascal card...may I suggest starting off with no tweaks and no NVI (especially 4K)! As a former tweakaholic, my paricular setup is butter compared to any iteration in the past with tweaks-a-nada! Using  Rob Ainscough's Extreme Settings...well sorta as I think I like a tad more eyecandy when it comes to clouds! ;-)368.69 drivers.

I guess it is still the same, I dont think that P3D accepts 0.01 and automatically reverts it to the next best acceptable value, which is 0.10 (as you said). But already in FSX it was like this and people continued to insist that their sim runs better with 0.01 compared to 0.10, which is probably simply placebo. In my case, any FFTF value other than the default 0.33 results in warping, which is unbearable, so I have it eliminated out of my config.

@Topic: interesting find, I have to update my drivers then. Currently I use TEXTURE_BANDWITH_MULT=1800 as suggested on simmershome.de for fast modern graphic cards, but this might also be placebo and I would be equally satisfied with the value "160" (that's the FSX:SE value) or "120". Will see...

Is it confirmed p3d v3 accepts FFTF=0.01 or does it default to some other value?

It accepts the entry and FFTF=0.33 is default value. If you do not see any benefit I would leave it at default however. Could well be that it works in one situation (scenery / aicraft etc.), but wil have adverse effects in others.

TEXT_BAND_MULT=120.

For me that entry caused stutters when tried the last time. Went back to default @ 4790K, 980TI.