Sign in to follow this  

Windows 10 Anniversary (1607) Update experience

Updated to Win10 Anniversary (1607) and my FSX:SE seems to work as it always did. No noticeable differences but, I don't have a high-end PC so maybe I wouldn't notice anyway. However, my browsing in IE11 is now very unstable and hangs on almost every page I attempt to load. Does anybody else suffer the same problems and did you find a fix anywhere?

Thanks

Rupert

Best regards

Rupert

However, my browsing in IE11 is now very unstable and hangs on almost every page I attempt to load.

Are you sure it's IE11 and not Edge?  I seem to recall my Win10 1607 update wanted to automatically change my default browser to Edge (I use Chrome) ... and in typical MS fashion, they didn't make it obvious that was happening.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob - yes it definitely is IE11. I'm not a fan of Edge because it doesn't accept my 3rd party security plug-in so I keep with IE11 for now. You are right that Microsoft asked to default to Edge but I declined it.

I guess there's something running away with resources in the background but I cant see what's causing it to stall so often.

Rupert

Best regards

Rupert

NO, absolutely not! They are notifications ... your user account is still under the same security context it always has been.

Sorry to stray a little off-topic again. So other than giving you a warm fuzzy feeling (and wasting an extra click), what benefit, if any, is there to keeping the UAC notifications on in Windows 10?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Are you sure it's IE11 and not Edge?  I seem to recall my Win10 1607 update wanted to automatically change my default browser to Edge (I use Chrome) ... and in typical MS fashion, they didn't make it obvious that was happening.

Same here!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

what benefit, if any, is there to keeping the UAC notifications on in Windows 10?

It allows programs that need elevated privileges operating under a non-admin account to install into a virtual ProgramFiles.  So if a user is installing a "dubious" piece of software it will have less ability to access areas it shouldn't.  But it still requires the user to get the dubious program (either download it or other source) and then install the dubious program ... both end user actions.  So to answer your question "doesn't that mean that any program can run without my authorisation or, in the worst case, without me knowing about it?" ... no.

So if a user acquires dubious software from high risk location, or they share an account with family members, then they may want to enable UAC.  If that is not a user's situation, then there is little to no benefit in UAC and in some cases UAC will cause problems with a mix of 3rd party add-ons and ones flight simulator.

However, also keep in mind Windows Defender will be running (or a users own AV software) which will also ID anything that can be executed.

I'm not making a recommendation on UAC On or Off (whatever users feel more comfortable with), just letting you know that programs can't automatically execute because it's turned off ... you would still need to perform some action to install.

Cheers, Rob.

No problem with the Anniversary update here. However, for some reason it disables System Restore which you probably wouldn't notice until you needed it!

same here... no big problems,  but it tinkers with system restore and for some reason it messes around with USB drivers.  Oh and it also put the windows store onto the task bar, sneaky gits.  

14ppkc-6.png

I see new Nvidia drivers are now available for the Anniversary Update....

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Just finished reinstalling win 10 plus update after update trashed earlier win 10. Installing win 10 again and the update was the easy part - hard part was installing P3D and all add on's. I now have my add on's in folders, one for each with original downloaded zip and an included text file that has serial numbers and other needed install info.

I found that downloading and rounding up the install info took the most time so now next time I just open the item folder, unzip software, install and get the serial or other numbers from the included text file,,much better and much faster. All these reinstall files on are a large usb drive and safe. 

What we go through just to fly some pixels from Cedar Rapids to Chicago. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

vortex681, on 15 Aug 2016 - 11:51 PM, said:snapback.png

what benefit, if any, is there to keeping the UAC notifications on in Windows 10?

It allows programs that need elevated privileges operating under a non-admin account to install into a virtual ProgramFiles.  So if a user is installing a "dubious" piece of software it will have less ability to access areas it shouldn't.  But it still requires the user to get the dubious program (either download it or other source) and then install the dubious program ... both end user actions.  So to answer your question "doesn't that mean that any program can run without my authorisation or, in the worst case, without me knowing about it?" ... no.

So if a user acquires dubious software from high risk location, or they share an account with family members, then they may want to enable UAC.  If that is not a user's situation, then there is little to no benefit in UAC and in some cases UAC will cause problems with a mix of 3rd party add-ons and ones flight simulator.

However, also keep in mind Windows Defender will be running (or a users own AV software) which will also ID anything that can be executed.

I'm not making a recommendation on UAC On or Off (whatever users feel more comfortable with), just letting you know that programs can't automatically execute because it's turned off ... you would still need to perform some action to install.

Well, if certain conditions meet a user can unfortunately very well trigger the execution of an unwanted program without being aware of it - even with the brand new Windows 10 and having an antivirus program running; and I think that scenario is not that uncommon.

If for example the guy keeps hiding known file extensions (still the default setting in Win 10 Explorer) and he tries to open a file that he thinks is a PDF but in reality is an executable file that somebody just named anything.pfd.exe - under these conditions he will not be aware of the true nature of the file. If UAC is set to not notify then the executable will run under the guys privileges and will potentially - worst case - be able to do a lot of harm if the virus scanner does not catch it - which is quite possible too. virus scanners are only programmed by humans :wink:

I am working with OSes since a long time, and this is dangerous too. Too often I quickly click the OK button because of all the notifications we get to see during the install of an application; the faster you click the faster you are done with these annoying installs ... this is why I like to have UAC remind me of anything stupid I may do and regret while installing something too late in the middle of the night. ... but as I just say, you can as well too fast click it away without thinking...

I think this is the point, think before you click!

Cheers

Frank

So the ones who are updated, do we go out and get the latest Nvidia Drivers from nvidia site?

Yes, you should. You do not want to run FSX/P3D under the native Windows driver for any graphics card. I did for my new GTX 1070 it and had no issues.

Btw. nVidia just released the latest WHQL signed version (372.54) yesterday.

Cheers

Frank

I updated to the new WHQL 372.54 last night for the anniversary version of Windows 10 and it broke NvidiaProfileInspector.

It would CTD every time I ran it to re-import the FSX profile.

After hunting around for 10 minutes on the internet I found a very recent update -

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Orbmu2k/nvidiaprofileinspector/build/artifacts

...this latest update (not found in the usual place) fixed the issue.

Regards,

Mark

Pardon my lack of MS knowledge but I have Windows 10 and have been away for a while. Will my machines automatically update to the Anniversary edition or did I need to do something to make it happen? I have automatic updates normally occurring on both my family and FS computer. How do I verify which edition of Windows is on my machine? Thanks for your patience.

Will my machines automatically update to the Anniversary edition or did I need to do something to make it happen?

Depends on the Win10 version you have.  

To determine your current Win10 version type "System Info" in the search box and click on the "system information" result item.  If you have 1607 then 2nd line down next to Version: you should see 10.0.14393 if you the latest 1607 update.

Cheers, Rob.