Sign in to follow this  
light_blue_yonder

Rain Effects and Airline Options?

Rain effects:

Yes, I know, I KNOW, you won't do it. But, I'm just another PMDG customer voicing in my opinion. It completely defeats realism flying into heavy rain and have crystal clear windshields. Sigh...one more reason to be a real pilot...

(Also, openable windows would be nice, just saying)

Airlines Options:

This includes EFBs and customizable electronic checklists. It doesn't even have to be complete, just make a framework and let the user/community fill in the rest. The same thing Captain Sim and Quality Wings does, give a framework and import your own data (i.e. charts, checklist items, etc.). Then there's the whole realistic airline options in the Operations Center. Why do some liveries have it and others don't? Is it because those airlines aren't willing to share, or is it not important enough to be worth pursuing?

Really wish these things are included. But you are the company, I respect your decisions. (and your answers too, hopefully :Tounge: )

Haoning Qu

I've flown many time through heavy rain at speeds from 140-220 kts and you hear it but all you see is a smear.  I imagine at 250-300 kts there's no chance of the pretty rain drops sim pilots seem to favor.  Honestly , do you want to spend your performance budget on eye candy like this or on system sophistication and flight dynamics?  By the way, the JS4100 does rain drops and ice very nicely, they had the performance budget available and used it.

EFBs are not yet done well, by anyone. The reason is because they are very complex in of themselves. In my opinion this is a product category best served by third parties other than aircraft developers.

I don't represent PMDG, just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Rain effects:

Yes, I know, I KNOW, you won't do it. But, I'm just another PMDG customer voicing in my opinion. It completely defeats realism flying into heavy rain and have crystal clear windshields. Sigh...one more reason to be a real pilot...

They have the ability but they dont flip the switch to turn it on - agree with you give us the option

Rich Sennett

They have the ability but they dont flip the switch to turn it on - agree with you give us the option

It's not a matter of just flipping a switch.

It has to be modeled and then resources allocated to run it.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

It's not a matter of just flipping a switch

" resources allocated to run it." 

Understood 

The rest is straight forward 

Rich Sennett

I've flown many time through heavy rain at speeds from 140-220 kts and you hear it but all you see is a smear.  I imagine at 250-300 kts there's no chance of the pretty rain drops sim pilots seem to favor.  Honestly , do you want to spend your performance budget on eye candy like this or on system sophistication and flight dynamics?  By the way, the JS4100 does rain drops and ice very nicely, they had the performance budget available and used it.

I didn't know exactly what you can see at 200 kts IRL, so thanks for the info. What I meant, however, was taxiing, not approach. I understand that rain blows off at high speed. Yes I would like the flight modelling and system simulations more, but since we are there already on the base aircraft systems, why not add some eye-candy. As an option, of course.

It's not a matter of just flipping a switch.

It has to be modeled and then resources allocated to run it.

I read somewhere on AVSIM that there is a "limit" to the amount of animation developers can work with, which is also why the windows don't open. Not exactly sure though.

EFBs are not yet done well, by anyone. The reason is because they are very complex in of themselves. In my opinion this is a product category best served by third parties other than aircraft developers.

That is precisely why I'm placing my hope on PMDG. The other ones I can think of who can do it are Flight 1 (same guys who came up with the Garmin GTN750/650 & G1000), and Aivlasoft (with their seperate EFB program). Maybe A2A, but they do avionics stacks, not EFBs.

Do hope that between NGX, 777, and 747 V2, PMDG can come up with something sometime with the new possibilities P3D v3 (hopefully) offers. As for the EFB, maybe we'll get someone like Aivlasoft working it into addon aircrafts for us.

Haoning Qu

Honestly, I can't for the life of me, figure out why people are SO fixated on having an EFB integrated into the VC??? 

Captain Sim already did this with the 777 and it was next to useless (at least in my opinion). Okay granted, it could only show jpg or image files preloaded into a directory, but it was too small, and the idea of constantly panning to view it, while trying to fly the plane, made it very difficult - if not impossible - to use effectively. If it could be made as a pop-up, then maybe it could be useful, but in that case, I would rather just use AivlaSoft EFB instead which is excellent, even though it lacks the performance data. All it was good for, was eating VAS and FPS. 

I'm more interested in system depth and accuracy of the modeled systems, to be honest.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Captain Sim already did this with the 777 and it was next to useless (at least in my opinion). Okay granted, it could only show jpg or image files preloaded into a directory, but it was too small, and the idea of constantly panning to view it, while trying to fly the plane, made it very difficult - if not impossible - to use effectively. If it could be made as a pop-up, then maybe it could be useful, but in that case, I would rather just use AivlaSoft EFB instead which is excellent, even though it lacks the performance data. All it was good for, was eating VAS and FPS.

The CS777 EFB can be used as a 2D panel, option is in the icon options (Shift-2).

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

It's things that have already been asked many times and I4m quite sure the answer would remain the same. Rain drops is linked to animation limitations from the engine, if you do this raindrop animation you have to remove other animations, like maybe some switches inside the cockpits. So if you're close to the limit, well I guess it's the first thing that disappear.

For the EFB, it's been discussed as well that to do it properly requires sets of data that are just too expensive for us the end users to use as it needs to be updated, and as they don't do things unless they can be very close to reality that makes the EFB not possible, because we would not have or almost nobody would be willing to spend the big bucks to update his own EFB data. 

Yes it has been asked before, RealAir and Orbix planes have and quite honestly there is no performance hit, I have tested many times on my system.

Here is the link

http://www.avsim.com/topic/494120-why-do-developers-neglect-rainsnow-on-windshield-effects/

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

and the idea of constantly panning to view it, while trying to fly the plane, made it very difficult - if not impossible - to use effectively.

TrackIR, my friend :P  . Also, you use it before you need it. (i.e. view the charts before you get into the procedure)

Yes it has been asked before, RealAir and Orbix planes have and quite honestly there is no performance hit, I have tested many times on my system.

Some systems take fps hit, other don't. My system doesn't with the T Duke V2 from RealAir.

For the EFB, it's been discussed as well that to do it properly requires sets of data that are just too expensive for us the end users to use as it needs to be updated, and as they don't do things unless they can be very close to reality that makes the EFB not possible, because we would not have or almost nobody would be willing to spend the big bucks to update his own EFB data. 

Never thought of it like that. If it's the charts thing, subscription to Navigraph Charts Cloud would solve that. If it's the performance thing, just integrate TOPCAT from FlightSimSoft into it. True, these two takes a lot of money (and cooperation between developers that's apparently hard to come by). But the weather radar required ASN. Just follow the same model as the weather radar. 

Haoning Qu

There is also the Avliasoft Electronic Flight Bag.  It's really great.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

A VC EFB would be useless in a FSX or P3D simulation. By the time you have panned, accumulated information, panned again.... just no, please no. People, just use a tablet and subscribe to Navigraph charts and or Aivlasoft EFB. MAYBE one day when VR is mainstream and we can naturally look around a VC, then just, maybe.

As for opening windows, I was amused to see that so many of our 747 aficionados cried foul that PMDG was not featuring opening windows in the new 747. And please, somebody fill them in as to why that is.

Clue: nothing to do with animation limits..

• Upvote 1

I imagine at 250-300 kts there's no chance of the pretty rain drops sim pilots seem to favor.

Very true. However, ground ops immersion on a rainy day while at the gate and taxiing would be amazing. Not if it becomes a slideshow though.

A VC EFB would be useless in a FSX or P3D simulation. By the time you have panned, accumulated information, panned again.... just no, please no. People, just use a tablet and subscribe to Navigraph charts and or Aivlasoft EFB. MAYBE one day when VR is mainstream and we can naturally look around a VC, then just, maybe.

As for opening windows, I was amused to see that so many of our 747 aficionados cried foul that PMDG was not featuring opening windows in the new 747. And please, somebody fill them in as to why that is.

Clue: nothing to do with animation limits..

As if the words are taken out of my mouth. Completely agree!

An EFB is useless when integrated into VC. It's too small to be able to read it, in which case you have to zoom in just to view it ... frankly I don't see the point. As said - use a tablet or AivlaSoft EFB instead.

I don't understand why so many people are so frantic and enthusiastic regarding having an EFB in a VC.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471