Sign in to follow this  
Murfman

New X-Plane 11 Preview Just Released

I've watched this about 6 times already. If this doesn't work us up into a frothy lather of expectation, I don't know what will! :smile:

Enjoy!

Tom

• Upvote 6

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Murfman,

Thanks for the heads up. It looks great - outstanding graphics.

I am making a hopeful guess it will be out Thanksgiving. That will take the load off of the servers downloading XP11 to fewer people who will not be at grandma's house.

If not I'll try and be patient.

You're a little too optimistic, here's what Randy Witt has to say in the video's comments:

Release date is by the end of this year, guys....

Anyway, fantastic video, some views are simply jaw dropping.

Pascal

here's what Randy Witt has to say in the video's comments:

And he got more precise on that topic:

Tyler or Ben put up Nov on the website but I've always said it would be This Holiday Season (or by the end of this year). We may make November still but I'm not 100% confident statement.

What of AI and ATC?

I have XP9 and XPX...and my jaw is NOT dropping at this so far.

What I don't like is the jumping (i.e. running at very low FPS) environment reflections on the aircrafts, e.g. at 00:25 and 01:55 in the video. Apparently it would break immersion a lot for me. If that is the only way to have good performance with environment reflections on, I'd rather turn them off.

What I don't like is the jumping (i.e. running at very low FPS) environment reflections on the aircrafts, e.g. at 00:25 and 01:55 in the video. Apparently it would break immersion a lot for me. If that is the only way to have good performance with environment reflections on, I'd rather turn them off.

We'll just have to see when we finally get our hands on it, and start optimizing settings for whatever hardware we're all running.

In that new clip, I was also seeing much more jagged aliasing on shadow edges in a few frames than I get on my rig. My shadow edges are smooth. But then I'm not running pbr reflections yet, so who knows. I suppose I would trade off some shadow jaggies for sexy reflections, but maybe we won't have to.

A few VC panel shots would have been the icing on the cake.

Cannot wait :)

I have the Steam version and just got got digital download version of XP10, I figured I may as well have  XP10 & XP11 for the price of one.

Hoping for a Thanksgiving Gift too lol

What I don't like is the jumping (i.e. running at very low FPS) environment reflections on the aircrafts, e.g. at 00:25 and 01:55 in the video. 

It's still in beta.  Let's not jump the "bug" gun quite yet.

• Upvote 1

It's still in beta.  Let's not jump the "bug" gun quite yet.

Beta or not, that is an official, Laminar-branded promotional video showcasing the product and building hype for sales. I think we have every right to comment on any small details that look a bit rough around the edges.

That said, they are small details and might be better on release. Meanwhile, everything else in the clip is looking very, very good. 

• Upvote 1

Beta or not, that is an official, Laminar-branded promotional video showcasing the product and building hype for sales. I think we have every right to comment on any small details that look a bit rough around the edges.

That said, they are small details and might be better on release. Meanwhile, everything else in the clip is looking very, very good. 

Laminar branded promotional videos do not guarantee bug free releases.  Even Apple and Microsoft, with their operating systems, with their billion dollar budgets, multi million dollar advertising deals and countless testers, can't guarantee bug free releases.

You may very well have every right to comment, but on the other side of the spectrum, they have every right to delay release for another year to get more bugs ironed out.  

I'm not trying to argue with you.  I'm just saying it's not even out yet.  So let's just wait and see.

• Upvote 2

What of AI and ATC?

I have XP9 and XPX...and my jaw is NOT dropping at this so far.

Does P3D and FSX AI and ATC make your jaw drop?

• Upvote 1

There is mainly one topic for Boomer when he writes in X-Plane threads, and this is his wish for a "realistic airline environment", incl. options for very good AI and ATC.

• Upvote 1

Looking very nice. Now we are going to see a whole bunch of threads xp11 vs p3d 3.x vs DTGFS. Which is actually good. Will push these sims more for market share.

As for AI in XP11, I think World Traffic 3.0 is coming out soon. Better WX coming with Xenviro will make things very interesting vs P3D and DTG

Out of the box, XP now gives the option to populate your airports with static Traffic and i beleive they look realistic due to PBR engine and with the ground services it adds a certain level of immersion. For ATC, there is a freeware replacement plugin which allows you to use "text to speech voices" such as Ivona...it is still in continuous development, its called 124th atc.

Out of the box, XP now gives the option to populate your airports with static Traffic and i beleive they look realistic due to PBR engine and with the ground services it adds a certain level of immersion. For ATC, there is a freeware replacement plugin which allows you to use "text to speech voices" such as Ivona...it is still in continuous development, its called 124th atc.

Very interesting! Watched the preview on youtube. Very interesting indeed.

Excellent news. The video shows great things about the upcoming xp11

I should have known better to believe that XP11 would be released this month.  I'll give LR credit, they know how to market their product to get people to buy, but it's disconcerting that they kept advertising a release for November and now it looks like it won't happen.  Furthermore, Austin hasn't personally come out to make an official statement of the delay and we have to hear it second hand.

Disappointing to say the least.  I would have had a little more respect for LR if they had just said, "coming soon", instead of giving a month and then now, we don't have a release date, just a timeframe.  Recent experience with other developers stating releases like this just makes the consumers upset.

I should have known better to believe that XP11 would be released this month.  I'll give LR credit, they know how to market their product to get people to buy, but it's disconcerting that they kept advertising a release for November and now it looks like it won't happen.  Furthermore, Austin hasn't personally come out to make an official statement of the delay and we have to hear it second hand.

Disappointing to say the least.  I would have had a little more respect for LR if they had just said, "coming soon", instead of giving a month and then now, we don't have a release date, just a timeframe.  Recent experience with other developers stating releases like this just makes the consumers upset.

There is a chance also they are using this strategy to add a surprise element once released, maybe...where did you see the delay news, i did not see anything official.

We know its in beta 6 so its a fair bet it's not that far off. If it's this month great, but if its next month the world still turns and life goes on. It will be here soon and I for one am looking forward to it. 

• Upvote 4

And you are basing this knowledge out of what ?  Some reference in this thread ?   In the video comments the same Randy Witt answered to a question of release in novemer "we have our fingers crossed"

They are on Beta 6 atm, Beta 5 last week. If curent releases are anything to go by we are at the very end and they are merely waiting if it is stable enough to release.  I personally still believe either thanksgiving weekend or the weekend after that.

• Upvote 1