Macpah

SkyMaxx Pro v4 coming tomorrow

Here are some default clouds I played around with:

MD80Clouds_1.jpg

MD80Clouds_2.jpg

MD80Clouds_4.jpg

MD80Clouds_3.jpg

MD80Clouds_5.jpg

They look ok, but why are you posting them in the skymax thread ? You already have a separate topic going.  

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I was griping before about repeating bitmaps, but I have to say, this is a very good rendition of what flying up here in the Pacific Northwest looks like, when you're scud running (SkyMax Pro v4):

S-76C_9.png

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I can't believe you guys are basing your decisions on whether or not to purchase, based on a "first look" video, with no information on the reviewers PC system specs, his X Plane render settings or his Skymaxx settings. 

If you're referring to the Q8 Pilot video, he's a well known, credible, and respected member of the XP YouTube community. IMO, he's probably the best at what he does.

That said, my decision to upgrade or not to upgrade is based on the eye test. SMP v4 is more of an update and not an upgrade. Even though the upgrade price is of concern to some, it's insignificant to me.

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

If you're referring to the Q8 Pilot video, he's a well known, credible, and respected member of the XP YouTube community. IMO, he's probably the best at what he does.

That said, my decision to upgrade or not to upgrade is based on the eye test. SMP v4 is more of an update and not an upgrade. Even though the upgrade price is of concern to some, it's insignificant to me.

It all depends on how you see it. If you see it only as a 3.3 upgrade then it is not worth. If you see it as a xp 11 compatibility update then it MIGHT worth, although for a case like this then 10$ would have been better, but in this case i would just ignore to bring SMP to xp 11 and jump to xenviro thus trying something else.

I have no doubt about his credibility.  I actually enjoy his videos.  My point is, even HE said it was a "first look".  This is not a comprehensive review of an add on.  And there is no way I, personally, would decide on purchasing based on that video.  Nowhere near enough information is given.

There's more to be implemented new in the v4 run (and is already in development). Unfortunately it didn't make it in for good reason (personal matters with someone involved and needing to take a leave), but I think there's some wow factors ahead for 4, and those updates will of course come free.

X-Plane 11 has a way to go yet before SMP is probably going to shine best. Laminar needs to iron out random draw glitches and visibility. I know it's on their list, and after such we'll probably all be some happy people. The good news is v4 is XP 11 ready and has the code to distinguish between being installed in 10 or 11. :)

Thanks for purchasing! Hang in there. While we haven't let everything out of the bag yet for v4, it will ultimately come!

That's good news, thanks.

It all depends on how you see it. If you see it only as a 3.3 upgrade then it is not worth. If you see it as a xp 11 compatibility update then it MIGHT worth, although for a case like this then 10$ would have been better, but in this case i would just ignore to bring SMP to xp 11 and jump to xenviro thus trying something else.

The thing is, currently with GA using x-enviro it is almost impossible to use alaska and scandinavia in the winter unless you have good weather.  With a tubeline you dont care, but in anything else weather is still a huge part of "fly or not fly" and personally i want to fly where i want and not where the weather is good in the real world atm.

I wonder what video card is used for this demo?

Nvidia GTX 680 4GB

Founder of X-Aviation

I am using SMP since V2 so i have now spent 40+20+20 = 80$ for SMP4 + 20$ for RWC

Apart from the cirrus layer which is now moving (though not yet sure about its speed) relative to the aircraft's moving position i do not see any significant improvement over SMP3. To be honest, I wonder why one would have to wait for SMP4 to get a moving cirrus ceiling in the first place as this comes across as a rather 'simple' enhancement. But if i am completely wrong in that assumption, i'll be happily corrected with arguments.

Biggest dissapointment though is the lack of any dynamic horizon and the lack of variety in cloud types. It's cauliflower all over the place.

I remember, about a year ago or so, someone posted a lua script that allowed to have a mix of default x-plane clouds + SMP clouds similtaneously. That looked already a lot better but for some reason that post or any further development on it has gone unfortunately.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

I thought you said you would not be wasting your time commenting on SMP 4 anymore? :)

I will not even waste my time commenting SMP 4 anymore, although i will be glad to see the xenviro  vs smp 4 comparison video. I can just wish Cameron and Sundog the best and hope that in the future they will be able to delivery something that will make my jaw drop. 

XPlane 11 does look good,  but the weather is a serious shortcoming.  Weather depiction such a fundamental part of the flying experience, I'm not entirely sure XP has made it this far with such little attention to this aspect.

Let's hope that soon or later x-Plane and addon developers will be able to achieve things like this, visually.

• Upvote 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I thought you said you would not be wasting your time commenting on SMP 4 anymore? :)

You are right but you know what? Until the two month 50% off does not expire, i want to sort this thing out.