Sign in to follow this  
softreset

Active Sky alternatives

I've been using Active Sky Next for a little over a year and absolutely love the program. Twice in the last 5 weeks though when launching the program I've been told that I've exceeded my active registrations and to open a support ticket with their support team. The first happened about a month ago and again just now. The HiFi team was pretty prompt with unlocking/resetting my license but they were unable to effectively communicate why the problem just suddenly started happening via the trouble ticket. My forum post on their support site went unanswered.

I'm looking for alternatives (can be freeware or payware) to Active Sky as I have significant loss of confidence in the product right now. I acknowledge anti-piracy protections are important but acceptable use from a licensed user is being caught up in their systems and as a result I'd like to explore taking my business elsewhere.

I'm running Windows 10, FSX:SE.

Anyone have some good recommendations that is not Active Sky Next 16?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

FS Global Real Weather is a good option.  I own both and use FSGRW with FSX-SE and AS16 with FSX.

I owned FSGRW first, but ASN impressed the heck out of me, so I picked up a copy of it..

Ernie

4 hours ago, Beardyman said:

Wait for REX, maybe one day finally their weather engine will be out...

Yep, about the same time as Aerosoft's CRJ and QualityWing's 787.  ::tw_glasses:

Ernie 

8 hours ago, airernie said:

FS Global Real Weather is a good option.  I own both and use FSGRW with FSX-SE and AS16 with FSX.

I owned FSGRW first, but ASN impressed the heck out of me, so I picked up a copy of it..

Ernie

Thanks, I'll check it out.

The ASN support team was pretty quick with the unlock, even though it was the weekend so that's all good.

14 hours ago, airernie said:

Ernie

I used FSGRW before getting ASN. It worked but didn't seem to give the weather detail that ASN gives. However,the biggest problem I found was that FSX froze for a few seconds whenever FSGRW updated. After a few freezes on short finals, I gave up on it.

ASN has worked flawlessly for me. I tried AS16 but, whilst it was good, didn't seem enough of an improvement over ASN to justify the extra expense. As I may consider P3D in the future, the fact that, unlike ASN, you had to buy separate licenses for FSX and P3D also put me off.

I would never fly in FSX without ASN. For me it was a game changer. The only weather engine I know of that gives you a true to life overcast condition. I'd used REX before that - the textures are incredible but the weather engine is not a patch on ASN. REX textures combined with ASN weather generation is the best combination IMO.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Tom Wright said:

REX textures combined with ASN weather generation is the best combination IMO.

Yup, that's what i use too.

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 6:01 AM, softreset said:

My forum post on their support site went unanswered.

which forum .... post a link & one might be able to follow up & help (given you had 12 months of "love" !!

what's that saying ... something to do with babies & water.

if alan recommends asn, why should I recommend as16 ..

I have just moved across to P3D, along with ASN, but I too am looking at an alternative. I LOOVE, ASN, but for some reason that still needs resolving, any amount of heavy cloud and the performance goes through the floor. This is still after the latest 'fix.' I'm not talking about a few frames here, I'm talking from 30fps down to anything between 9-15 with stutters! 

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

I have just moved across to P3D, along with ASN, but I too am looking at an alternative. I LOOVE, ASN, but for some reason that still needs resolving, any amount of heavy cloud and the performance goes through the floor. This is still after the latest 'fix.' I'm not talking about a few frames here, I'm talking from 30fps down to anything between 9-15 with stutters! 

I have experienced the opposite. The killer is SGSS in NVI. I moved to 4k and ditched NVI and only use in game AA settings and performance has been great. SGSS 4 or 8 x with heavy clouds will bring the best machine down.

8 hours ago, Tom Wright said:

I would never fly in FSX without ASN. For me it was a game changer. The only weather engine I know of that gives you a true to life overcast condition. I'd used REX before that - the textures are incredible but the weather engine is not a patch on ASN. REX textures combined with ASN weather generation is the best combination IMO.

I agree. I'm extremely happy with ASN and REX textures. In the year+ of my enjoyment of FSX:SE it stands as best the value and combo. My recent frustrations are the issues of DRM protection locking me out of a product that was legitimately purchased.

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎25 at 2:01 PM, softreset said:

The HiFi team was pretty prompt with unlocking/resetting my license but they were unable to effectively communicate why the problem just suddenly started happening via the trouble ticket. My forum post on their support site went unanswered.

Hi,

Could you post your link on where you asked about this?  I just went through the official Hifi forum, and the only recent post regarding an activation question has been answered.  If you can link it here, I can point you post to those who can answer.

Note, Active Sky 16 / ASCA is licensed per computer and use on more than one system requires purchasing an additional license for each machine.
All server access is logged by I.P. address and machine code (Client I.D.).

--Edited for clarification

Edited by netshadoe
Clarification on timeline

1 hour ago, netshadoe said:

Hi,

Could you post your link on where you asked about this?  I just went through the official Hifi forum, and the only post regarding an activation question has been answered.  If you can link it here, I can point you post to those who can answer.

Note, Active Sky 16 / ASCA is licensed per computer and use on more than one system requires purchasing an additional license for each machine.
All server access is logged by I.P. address and machine code (Client I.D.).

Thanks Devin, I've been in touch with Dave at HiFi about the issue and he too has reminded me about the licensing. I've confirmed with him (both times)

Licensing Info Removed

Those weren't licenses, they were HiFi ticket #s

I only own one computer and it's only ever been installed on one computer. The issue, I suspect, is that it's a laptop. As such over the course of a month I might connect from a dozen different IP addresses when I play. What's strange is that for almost a year (on the same computer, same IP address issues) it was never an issue. Now suddenly over the course of less than 30 days apart it's occurred twice despite no change in my equipment and my play style.

I appreciate the prompt response of the HiFi team but there's also a moment of: "Will it or won't it work" whenever I fire up the client all of a sudden.

My password isn't working on the forums so I've requested one, as soon as I get logged in, I'll send you the link. It's somewhat irrelevant though as the original request from 01/10/17 has been resolved.

No problem.  I suggest you take down you license numbers...you'll have more issues with those up on this forum!!  :0

51 minutes ago, netshadoe said:

No problem.  I suggest you take down you license numbers...you'll have more issues with those up on this forum!!  :0

Those were my ticket #s with HiFi, not licensing.

3rd time in three months now. Launch Active Sky Next to complete a flight and I'm told that I've exceeded the registration limits. Same computer, same location, same hardware/software.

I can pretty much set my watch to it on the rolling 30 days.

4th time in 4 months now.

I wonder how many other people have this issue.