Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Anyone have the 1080ti yet?

If I was about to get a 1080Ti this would be the card I would pick without a doubt!

I have pretty much the same card right now but the 980Ti model and I couldn't be more happy. The best GFX card I ever had so far - lots of power and yet very silent and the build quality is superb.

Richard Åsberg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Here's a faster one (on paper).
It's actually $130AU cheaper than the Asus Strix here in Australia.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/38252/gigabyte-aorus-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-xtreme-edition-11gb

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Well, having now had the 1080ti for several days, I think I can safely say that P3D/FSX are  just really not affected much by this card. The CPU is still the bottleneck, and I can't say there was any noticeable increase of any sort. X-plane 11 received a very modest boost, and Aerofly FS2 received quite a nice boost, and that's about all she wrote.

Here's the (freaking enormous) new card: 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Well, having now had the 1080ti for several days, I think I can safely say that P3D/FSX are  just really not affected much by this card.

That's pretty disappointing.
Was really hoping for some magic here.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Well, having now had the 1080ti for several days, I think I can safely say that P3D/FSX are  just really not affected much by this card. The CPU is still the bottleneck, and I can't say there was any noticeable increase of any sort. X-plane 11 received a very modest boost, and Aerofly FS2 received quite a nice boost, and that's about all she wrote.

It has been always stated P3D, FSX, FSX-SE use the CPU more than the GPU and I believe we all went through this when the Titan X was released last year.  Everyone expected no stutters, shimmering, pauses, freezes, etc., etc., and that was not realistic.  I think, you will definitely see a performance increase if P3D goes to 64 bit just like you saw in X-Plane and you need to be prepared for that eventuality.  That's why I'm upgrading.  The latest and greatest GPU's were made for the new DX12 games being released and none of those games are even closely related to P3D or any other flight simulator.  The game has to be programmed to utilize the GPU for various functions and that's not happening with most of our flight simulators where thousands and thousands of textures have to be rendered almost instantly.  But it is better than the GeForce 8800GT/GS/GTX that was about the best video card when FSX was first released in 2006 -  http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-8800-gtx/specifications and the GeForce 9800GTX released about a year later.  Let's hope the next version of P3D is fully capable of performing using the latest DX 12 technology these cards were made for.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 4/8/2017 at 2:27 PM, HiFlyer said:

Here's the (freaking enormous) new card: 

Well even if their not affected now you can game in 4k and are future proof 

I just got the 1080 ti and going from a standard 1080 I did get a boost in games but not much in flight sims. I overclocked the card a bit and gained 5 to 7 fps in P3D.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

38 minutes ago, warbirds said:

I just got the 1080 ti and going from a standard 1080 I did get a boost in games but not much in flight sims. I overclocked the card a bit and gained 5 to 7 fps in P3D.

As I mentioned, I think Aerofly FS 2 is the only sim we have right now taking good advantage of modern card capabilities. on my 1080, I have videos of me flying over New York at 200Fps.

With my 1080ti that has jumped to 280Fps

Devons rig

Anyone with the 1080Ti comment on how it handles sparse grid transparency SS?
Do we still see that big drop in FPS in heavy cloud?

gb.

My 1080ti is ready to be picked up from the post station - yesssss :-)

I ordered the Gigabyte Aorus.

I just installed mine yesterday. I am going to give it a good run in P3D soon. Man the Founders Edition is LOUD under full fan. I read that it was, but wasn't prepared for how loud it actually was. Performance in a few other games is really impressive though.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Well.... not too bad for the first benchmark. No overclocking until now. The card is dead silent. Way more silent than my Asus 1080 Strix was.

new.png

I have most of my parts for the new system ready, but still waiting for the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black to come in. Seems US gets the inventory first, followed by UK, then Canada.

Been waiting 6 years for this. :smile:

I was just notified this AM that my ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING GeForce 11GB OC Edition VR Ready 5K HD Gaming HDMI DisplayPort DVI Overclocked PC GDDR5X Graphics Card will be arriving this Saturday (Apr 22).

Sort of excited....

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10