ErichB

Who has relocated the 'Documents' folder?

Recommended Posts

Hi

I install my P3D versions onto a dedicated drive, like most of us probably do.  But as I understand it, P3Dv4 will automatically install scenery files into the Prepr3dV4 folder in the 'Documents' folder, usually resident on the C: (OS) drive.  Who is relocating the folder to their main sim drive?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

5 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Hi

I install my P3D versions onto a dedicated drive, like most of us probably do.  But as I understand it, P3Dv4 will automatically install scenery files into the Prepr3dV4 folder in the 'Documents' folder, usually resident on the C: (OS) drive.  Who is relocating the folder to their main sim drive?

 

 

 

Good question. I certainly don't want to use my C drive, that's for sure

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Hi

I install my P3D versions onto a dedicated drive, like most of us probably do.  But as I understand it, P3Dv4 will automatically install scenery files into the Prepr3dV4 folder in the 'Documents' folder, usually resident on the C: (OS) drive.  Who is relocating the folder to their main sim drive?

 

 

 

If you move addon manager folder to another location the documents folder only hold XML files, so of no worry concerning space

Share this post


Link to post

as i have understood you cannot move the folder "documents" out of your os

Share this post


Link to post

There is a way to do it apparently.  There's a flightsim related YT video floating around (i think Sky Lounge?) - i think he shows you how.  I don't want any flightsim related stuff on my OS drive - especially not mingled with my personal folders.

 

Poppet/Rob - are you able to confirm what gets installed here?  I understand things are different with V4

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, kurtb said:

as i have understood you cannot move the folder "documents" out of your os

You can reasign documents folder to any folder on any drive. Same, you can make folder anywhere and link it as dedicated folder on drive c in your documents, or just install everything to any location, you are not forced to use that folder. I have shared addons for P3Dv3 and v4 even FSX/FSW at one place and just use propher cfg entries to point them from that location

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Jiri Kocman said:

I have shared addons for P3Dv3 and v4 even FSX/FSW at one place and just use propher cfg entries to point them from that location

Good to know.  A cfg entry actually makes sense,  thanks

Share this post


Link to post

Right click on my documents go to properties and then location tab to move it, then restart your system. Pretty easy to do and all part of windows, I do it for all my systems so the little OS SSD doesn't get full of random document rubbish.

Regarding the native P3Dv4 Addon structure you can find more info in your P3D documentation. For A2A C172 customers updating yesterday I posted this to help break it down. But I do recommend reading through the P3D documentation itself.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=59802

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you Lewis

Share this post


Link to post

I watched this video yesterday.  Worked like a charm 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Before I move this folder out of the OS, do we know for sure that scenery add ons get added here?  That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ricka47 said:

Before I move this folder out of the OS, do we know for sure that scenery add ons get added here?  That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

It's an option for developers to take advantage of if they care to do so.

Most addons are still installed into the main P3D folder, e.g. ORBX, UK2000 etc.

Share this post


Link to post

That's a dumb move in my eyes, application files are no documents...
I hope it works with redirecting the Prepar3d folders via junctions, as my documents folder is on a slow hdd for a reason (> 1 TB of documents) and I obviously want my sim data on one of the ssds.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, touchdown84 said:

That's a dumb move in my eyes, application files are no documents...
I hope it works with redirecting the Prepar3d folders via junctions, as my documents folder is on a slow hdd for a reason (> 1 TB of documents) and I obviously want my sim data on one of the ssds.

6xCTNmS.png

I deleted my empty Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder first before creating the junction. If yours is not empty, just rename the folder to something arbitrary, create the junction, and copy its contents into the newly created junction.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, touchdown84 said:

That's a dumb move in my eyes, application files are no documents...

They are documents,

The files are only small xml files for each addon pointing to the addons real location, its done this way so you do not need to reinstall all your addons when you do a clean reinstall of the Sim.

A fresh install of V4 will automatically add your addons on first run, this is a much better system, and no more issues with badly written installers trashing your dll.xml and exe.xml files

Share this post


Link to post

The SCENERY itself does NOT get installed into the docs folder. A small file add-on.xml is put in the docs folder and this file tells P3D where the scenery is located. So there is NO worry about loading up your C drive.

Although it CAN be done, for various reasons, it is not wise to move system folders but many have done so with no problems.

To me, it's "iffy" - I leave it alone.

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

The SCENERY itself does NOT get installed into the docs folder. A small file add-on.xml is put in the docs folder and this file tells P3D where the scenery is located. So there is NO worry about loading up your C drive.

Although it CAN be done, for various reasons, it is not wise to move system folders but many have done so with no problems.

To me, it's "iffy" - I leave it alone.

Vic

There is nothing iffy about moving your my docs. Its a native windows function that when done as described by the video etc not only moves files to also redirects the reg entries etc etc etc. Its a feature of your windows OS to be able to move you docs to wherever you wish.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

You're probably quite right, especially with newer Windows OS but I have had to repair many systems through the years where the whole user structure got trashed by moving system files. I would think that letting Windows handle the move, as outlined in the video, would insure all the links are correct.

Vic

Share this post


Link to post

Yes that's correct all links are not only correct but I've now personally had this system trashed once, but because the docs and sys settings where on E:/ drive during the windows repair/reinstall it was able to use existing settings and it was like magic. All my desktop was still present on first log-on some files where obviously kaputt due to the window reinstall but I will say 80% was present and correct. It was pretty damn nice. Hell even a bunch of my steam games and there settings buried in the my docs area where all present and correct on boot. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now