PBCool1

Depressed that the MD11 is being left behind.

With P3D v4 out now...and the big re-shuffle of simming and developing going on, I could not help but think of the MD11.

Its such a vital aircraft for our VA...sad to see it get left behind.

• Upvote 4

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Oh my god.  I feel I was the biggest fan of the MD11.  I was excited more than ever to have this plane back when it came to FS9. 

But... it is a dead product for PMDG.  They aren't going to revisit this aircraft for whatever reason.  Low sales is their official claim.  Nevertheless, we have to accept that the line is dead. 

Yeah. What Orlaam said. Face it; this isn't gonna happen.

I've not tried it, but Rotate Sim's MD-80 looks pretty good. It's for X-Plane.

Maybe you could try that route if you're set on MD aircraft?

We all know that PMDG will not bring the MD11 into the P3D world :nangis: , and that poor sales, or whatever it was did not justify the work it would require to update it. That does not mean that we can not want it still. Hell, I bought the combo for FS9/FSX when it first came out....$89.99 was a huge amount for a addon back in 2008, and I would gladly pay that again for it today.

I want it just as much as the next tri-engine lover, but until someone that makes aircraft at the same level as PMDG, we are stuck in FSX or the PMDG 747/777 in P3D.

• Upvote 3

I cant help myself to pop by. Yup , there is a whole bunch of threads regarding this.  And with that I will refrain from commenting further, else Kyle will be revisiting for sure lol  I'll save him the trouble. 

1 hour ago, PBCool1 said:

With P3D v4 out now...and the big re-shuffle of simming and developing going on, I could not help but think of the MD11.

I had a Flight Sim computer that was at the end of its life. The new box is the usual win10 / P3D,/ FSX / i7 7700k / 1080 video card etc. When I removed most of the software from the old flight sim box, win 7,FSX,i72700k/1050 video card and was about to "kill" the boxed version PMDG MD11, I had a fly with it...and the old girl is still great..So, I decided to keep the Win 7/ FSX box and the FSX sceneries just for the FSX/Win7 MD11,747 a/c . I was also fortunate that on an old drive in a previous build, I found some MD11 liveries as well.  

1 hour ago, paulhand said:

and for MD type fans, TFDi's new 717 is beginning to look good and it's already working in P3Dv4 ...

TFDI 717 is fantastic! I Spent half of today flying it Down the East coast from FlyTampa Toronto to FSDT Memphis KMEM then onto FSDT Ft Lauderdale Hollywood KFLL and then up to FSDT Charlotte KCLT. All in P3Dv4.  The 717 performed flawlessly.

1 hour ago, RichieFly said:

Yeah. What Orlaam said. Face it; this isn't gonna happen.

I've not tried it, but Rotate Sim's MD-80 looks pretty good. It's for X-Plane.

Maybe you could try that route if you're set on MD aircraft?

I believe they are working on a MD-11???

Sorry, someone already mentioned this. That is what you get from posting before the coffee:huh:

Edited by wijnand
double post
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PBCool1 said:

I agree, if you like the MD11 flight systems, you need to try the TFDi Boeing 717 in P3Dv.4.  It is study level and has almost the same flight panel and systems. TFDi has it nailed down pretty good.

The release version is for P3Dv3, but they have an open beta for P3Dv4 right now.

I had seen and heard of performance issues and missing features/bugs in then 717. 

Either way, for me, the MD-11 was an interest due to the tri-jet design. Strange I know but I really like the B727, L1011, and even the Dassault aircraft that have this engine configuration.  I would buy a 727 or L1011 is FS despite the dated and difficult to manage panel setup.  It would have to be high quality and accurate though.  I'd really like a Falcon but since we have one on the market no one else will make it and the one available has very low standards.  We are truly missing in business class jets and always have been.  A lot of airports have high degrees of biz jet traffic but the market in FS is practically void. KTEX, KTEB, KSDL and many more. Tons of this type of jet. Very frustrating that no one with study level programming wants to tackle a nice business jet. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

I had seen and heard of performance issues and missing features/bugs in then 717. 

Either way, for me, the MD-11 was an interest due to the tri-jet design. Strange I know but I really like the B727, L1011, and even the Dassault aircraft that have this engine configuration.  I would buy a 727 or L1011 is FS despite the dated and difficult to manage panel setup.  It would have to be high quality and accurate though.  I'd really like a Falcon but since we have one on the market no one else will make it and the one available has very low standards.  We are truly missing in business class jets and always have been.  A lot of airports have high degrees of biz jet traffic but the market in FS is practically void. KTEX, KTEB, KSDL and many more. Tons of this type of jet. Very frustrating that no one with study level programming wants to tackle a nice business jet. 

Flysimware has a Falcon 50 under development. I too enjoy three engine aircraft and am hoping to see more. Personally I would love to see a modern 727. 

Maybe we can convince TFDI to slap on that 3rd engine on top and greatly increase the gross weight now that they have MD experience.  :biggrin:

With the small cost of storage, there is no reason why we cannot hold on to all of our sims, given the investments made and the aircrafts we love.

I am planning to keep all my sims, so that I can fly whatever and whenever without having to feel that while I gained something, I lost or had to give up something else.

This is our renaissance in simming. Let's have it all!

As to PMDG md-11, it flies perfectly on my FSX, so I never have to give it up.

tony

• Upvote 1

I bet an MD-11 could have a big potential in P3D V4 as the sim is future proof. The downside is that MD-11 is flown as a cargo foremostly just as the DC-10/MD-10. This makes it quite useless to make for a simulation, as people want to have airliners that are flown today.

If PMDG would make (will not happen) a renewed version of the MD-11 for P3D V4 I would buy it within a split second without hesitating for a moment. That is for sure. Unforatunately this possibility is now even further away than Level-D 757 with nice graphics is.

47 minutes ago, flyforever said:

Ditto

Lets go on a little trip to a place called Real World:  As RW jet engines became much more efficient, the 3rd stack became obsolete, eliminating the rather unwieldy config of the added weight to the tail section. But I too get sentimental sometimes, and fly the MD-11 or the DC 10.  But then I remember the RW, and the three-stacks sitting in a whole host of airplane grave yards, or sold-off to "developing countries" for cargo transports. (as is, and will be the fate of many 747's). 

But the point is, don't expect payware developers to have much interest in offering this dodo product in the future...     

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Boomer said:

But will it be hardcore like the PMDG one?  Or lite weight drivel?

Note to PMDG:  I would wager a P3Dv4 MD11 from you folks would sell well.

If the Rotate MD-80 is any indication, their MD-11 will be a fantastic product.   Rotate's MD-80 is fairly complete in terms of the depth of its systems modeling.   Rotate are quickly gaining a reputation in the X-Plane community as a quality payware developer.

• Upvote 1

I really don't see the need to have an MD-11 lament thread every few days. As far as future development goes - it appears over. No amount of emotional navel gazing is likely to change that decision.

6 hours ago, flyforever said:

With the small cost of storage, there is no reason why we cannot hold on to all of our sims, given the investments made and the aircrafts we love.

6 hours ago, flyforever said:

The best bits of advice so far.

5 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

Lets go on a little trip to a place called Real World

LOL, in a simming community, well done, nameless brother.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, DavidP said:

I really don't see the need to have an MD-11 lament thread every few days. As far as future development goes - it appears over. No amount of emotional navel gazing is likely to change that decision.

This is what grief looks like. I'm not kidding. People posting in these threads are grieving (and as I prepare to switch to P3d v4 I'm in that group as well). I don't doubt that PMDG has the sales figures to show why revisiting the MD-11 is a loser for them, but if nothing else all these threads show that this was a very special product that did something unique to draw people in. And yes, it clearly drew them in on an emotional level in many cases.

In other words: let people have their navel gazing, since we can't have the MD-11.

James

• Upvote 6

49 minutes ago, honanhal said:

This is what grief looks like. I'm not kidding. People posting in these threads are grieving (and as I prepare to switch to P3d v4 I'm in that group as well). I don't doubt that PMDG has the sales figures to show why revisiting the MD-11 is a loser for them, but if nothing else all these threads show that this was a very special product that did something unique to draw people in. And yes, it clearly drew them in on an emotional level in many cases.

In other words: let people have their navel gazing, since we can't have the MD-11.

James

Hear, hear.  Well said.