Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

Lighting Update

Recommended Posts

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The balance looks better. There is still an odd lavender tinge to the sky color, the same color the sky was in Flight School. I hope they can shift that towards a more blue-colored sky. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

Good to see the updates coming along. Nice that we'll be able to share mission content following that update too apparently, which will hopefully stop people with an axe to grind from continuously and erroneously claiming that all DTG want to do is make you buy stuff for FSW, since that content from users will all be free.

Share this post


Link to post

Looks like an improvement from the pictures but I think the environment won't really start to impress until  autogen shadows are activated.

Share this post


Link to post

There is SSAO in action, so you get some shadows even not shadows :) Anyway autogen shadows is really heavy on GPU,Currently I turn it off in ne P3D with maxed autogen... absolutely kills my GTX1080

Share this post


Link to post

Great to hear!  Do not care for the lighting now.

Share this post


Link to post

Potentially looks better but mileage will vary according to how your GPU and monitor is configured, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post

The update has been released today.

Ray Fry.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Chock said:

Nice that we'll be able to share mission content following that update too apparently, which will hopefully stop people with an axe to grind from continuously and erroneously claiming that all DTG want to do is make you buy stuff for FSW, since that content from users will all be free.

I may be the exception, but I could give a toss about this much ballyhooed "Mission Editor" as though it is in any wise equivalent to new aircraft and avionics, not to mention scenery, etc. :huh:

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, n4gix said:

I may be the exception, but I could give a toss about this much ballyhooed "Mission Editor" as though it is in any wise equivalent to new aircraft and avionics, not to mention scenery, etc. :huh:

I agree that making missions is not everyone's cup of tea, but it seems to me that one of the things which many people have said they are enjoying a lot in FSW is the missions, and well-crafted ones can be a lot of fun.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Chock said:

I agree that making missions is not everyone's cup of tea, but it seems to me that one of the things which many people have said they are enjoying a lot in FSW is the missions, and well-crafted ones can be a lot of fun.

Oh I don't doubt for a moment that there are "many people" who find the missions enjoyable, but then again what else can they do aside from poodling about in a slow GA and enjoying the scenery?

It was more to the focus and emphasis from DTG on the "Mission Editor" as one of their earliest attempts to provide expandability to FSW seems a bit off the tracks in my view. I'd much rather have seen an SDK released first. But then, as an aircraft/avionics developer, I am totally biased! :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, n4gix said:

It was more to the focus and emphasis from DTG on the "Mission Editor" as one of their earliest attempts to provide expandability to FSW seems a bit off the tracks in my view. I'd much rather have seen an SDK released first. But then, as an aircraft/avionics developer, I am totally biased! :laugh:

I agree so far the updates have been like "window dressing". It would be good to know when something like weather, avionics or better performance will be forthcoming.

Share this post


Link to post

I have found it rather humorous that all of the ATC voices are now very properly "British". I really do hope that DTG will eventually provide proper regionalization for ATC voicing. Currently they sound really strange coming from controllers/towers here in the Midwest! :ha:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I have found it rather humorous that all of the ATC voices are now very properly "British".

Good to see DTG doing their bit to push "proper" English!  :laugh:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

DTG are at least sticking to the tried and trusted path of flight simulators Not Pleasing Everybody :biggrin:

Ray Fry.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, n4gix said:

I have found it rather humorous that all of the ATC voices are now very properly "British". I really do hope that DTG will eventually provide proper regionalization for ATC voicing. Currently they sound really strange coming from controllers/towers here in the Midwest! :ha:

To be fair, we've had over ten years of Yank voices vectoring us into Birmingham (in the Midlands) and Manchester (in the north west) in FSX (and I mean the real, original Birmingham, home of classic rifles, motorcycles etc, not the one in Alabama), and the real Manchester (the one where it rains all the time, where the Hacienda was and home of pretty much every decent indie band ever), not the one in New Hampshire, and that would also be the real Hamspshire (where Jane Austen and Charles Dickens were from, so... erm, home of classic literature - struggled to think of some stufff for a moment - and the home of the original capital of England, for another slightly lame/dubious clame to fame), not the 'new' one, lol, so it's kinda redressing the geographical balance. :laugh:

To be honest however, I also think it would be weird to be vectored into Biggin Hill by a Geordie lol.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Just think of FSW ATC as Downton Abbey Tower:

"The runway is clear your Lordship, would you care to line up and wait?"

The latest update is a big improvement to the appearance of the scenery, I think the sky colour/color still has a hint of violet which needs adjusting out. I haven't got round to the Mission Editor yet, I haven't even flown a mission actually - been too busy with lessons and free flight mode so far...

Share this post


Link to post

Not perfect at all times but agreed, the lighting improvements have upped the realism quite a lot.

On the other hand I seem to be getting lots of micro-stuttering which I didn't have before.

Getting more enthusiastic about the potential for this sim with each update.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, A32xx said:

"The runway is clear your Lordship, would you care to line up and wait?"

Yes please, and have the flight attendant bring me some tea and crumpets whilst we wait for clearance.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Not perfect at all times but agreed, the lighting improvements have upped the realism quite a lot.

On the other hand I seem to be getting lots of micro-stuttering which I didn't have before.

Getting more enthusiastic about the potential for this sim with each update.

 

my performance is down as well.  and Im getting CTD's if I try to takeoff from KDAL in the DA42 using Cold Fronts.

Share this post


Link to post

With regard to updating the lighting from FSX to FSW, this reminds me of something which has always bothered me about many flight simulators - the nav and position lights on FS aeroplanes. To be honest, it's generally not very convincing at all, even on expensive payware aircraft or with utilities which can tweak the lights, such as REX, and what is even worse, is that if memory serves, I recall the aeroplane lights on most FS9 aeroplanes tended to be better than it typically is in FSX.

I can recall sitting on the grass at the holding point at EGCD a few years ago whilst a SAAB 35 Draken jet fighter was positioned and holding for take off, so that thing was about 40 feet away from me, and the nav and position lights on that thing were incredibly intensely bright at that proximity, as indeed they are on most aeroplanes for obvious reasons. But in FS, the aeroplane lights are often weedy washed out affairs to such an extent that one can barely even tell if the things are switched on.

Nowadays, many aeroplanes are using LED lights as opposed to the older filament-based technology, and I don't know about you, but I can tell from literally miles away when an airliner coming into my local airport has those LEDs fitted, because they are vastly brighter than older filament lights, so unless the nav and position lights in sims are improved, the effect will be even less convincing than it already is, given how intense the new LED nav lights appear in real life.

I hope when DTG are considering tweaks and improvements, they might consider seeing what they can do about this.

Share this post


Link to post

reunion tower.  You can look that up and find lots of pics showing what Dallas actually looks like during both day and night.  I think the previous lighting was closer and certainly could be made closer.  I like the new haze effect but its just too pale and too dark overall.  I don't really need a desert to be "not too bright"...not if it means Dallas has to look unrealistically dark and pale.(on a sunny summer afternoon)

 

maybe Orbx should adjust their textures.

Share this post


Link to post
On 17/06/2017 at 0:34 PM, Chock said:

But in FS, the aeroplane lights are often weedy washed out affairs to such an extent that one can barely even tell if the things are switched on.

Sadly, I don't think that there's a lot you can do about that. I worked in the development cell at a real-world flight sim complex for 3 years and the aircraft lights were no better than we have. They even had to scale up the number of pixels used by each light at medium/long range so that it was possible (but still difficult) to see them. You're limited by the maximum light output of the projector (or the monitor, in our case) - you can just never reproduce the intensity of real-world lights.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this