Boeing or not going

Credit card stolen after a simmarket order?

This is the second time, but last had been a year or so ago, that a couple days after a simmarket order (I used their credit card company not Paypal this time) I receive fraudulent charges on my card. Has this ever happened to someone else?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sorry to hear. I know the feeling.

That explains why 2 of my Chase cards refused to authorize a few weeks ago. Now I use Paypal.

Paypal is the best option. 

]

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bills511 said:

Sorry to hear. I know the feeling.

That explains why 2 of my Chase cards refused to authorize a few weeks ago. Now I use Paypal.

The thiefs bought 3 different plane tickets, I must be on a watch list after that!

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

Paypal is the best option. 

]

I had to catch the last hours of the Active sky sale and Paypal gave errors, so I used their credit card option. Big mistake!

Boy that sucks....for me I use PayPal exclusively, unless a vendor does not take PayPal...such as Orbx now.

1 minute ago, 777200lrf said:

I had to catch the last hours of the Active sky sale and Paypal gave errors, so I used their credit card option. Big mistake!

The thing is their CC system should not be allowing this possibility - it should not be considered a mistake to make a CC purchase from a company like simmarket - been around for many years.

So you did not make the mistake - simmarket needs to be made aware of this and they need to make the changes needed. If enough people respond to this thread with the same complaint, I will send an email to Miguel Blaufuks with a link to this thread.....I may just do it now anyway. This is unacceptable!

If paypal had no issues of their own then ok, but we all have heard the problems there too. 

11 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

The thiefs bought 3 different plane tickets, I must be on a watch list after that!

Not sure if this is possible but I hope there is enough information in the fraudulent transaction that the thieves get stopped at the gate and are arrested.

32 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

This is the second time, but last had been a year or so ago, that a couple days after a simmarket order (I used their credit card company not Paypal this time) I receive fraudulent charges on my card. Has this ever happened to someone else?

Yes.

That happened to me a couple weeks ago.

Sorry to hear, another idea to help combat this type of criminal activity, that does not cost you money like credit monitoring services. Use one credit card for all your online purchases, amazon, eBay, PayPal .ect... then contact the issuing  credit card company and restrict the daily purchase amount. 

I have mine set at $300.00, I also have text alerts sent to me via phone on every transaction that is placed on the card, if I see one that I don't recognize, I call them immediately. If I need to go over $300 I call the credit card company and let them know about the exact purchase amount and they allow the transaction. 

I set the low daily amount to discourage thieves from getting high dollar authorizations approved, hopefully when these types of purchases get denied they discard my info...  and when I get the text alert it is usually within minutes of the authorization and I can cancel the card quickly if need be.

I agree, one should not have to do this but in today's world it is a must. 

john..

Always try to use a prepaid card with paypal.

If i must use credit card, i use virtual master card or virtual visa(prepaid)

Happened to me after using credit card on Navigraph several years ago.

27 minutes ago, michelair said:

I agree, one should not have to do this but in today's world it is a must. 

john..

What must happen is a simmarket investigation into the CC co. they use and the security measures. If this were such a common problem - the forums would be flooded, because most flight sim products are bought online.

2 hours ago, 777200lrf said:

that a couple days after a simmarket order (I used their credit card company not Paypal this time) I receive fraudulent charges on my card.

Did you use this card anywhere else during the prior year?

well simmarket completely trusts the CC company they use - so I personally will never buy from simmarket again.

At this point you cannot definitively link simmarket to the breach unless the card was exclusively used at simmarket.  If the card was used elsewhere previously, then the card info could have been stolen from another store/vendor.

At least you did not use your debit card. I can not understand how some people have no credit card and just use a debit card. The risk is so much greater.

• Upvote 1

Happened to me after X-mas too.  I suspected their payment processor was the culprit, but I can't be sure.  Now I use Paypal for everything I purchase and never had any problems since. 

I also believe it happened to me after purchasing FSUIPC5.  I only used my card one other place and that wasn't online so I'm betting it was Simmarket.  Moreover... I think it happened once before at Simmarket.  The person who used your card wasn't by any chance purchasing text books, where they? 

Happy you brought this up, time for me to log a formal compliant, and I'm going to ask AVSIM to create a board to place these types of warnings and if they're no interested I'll do it myself as it's too important not to have this type of resource - plus it will motivate re-sellers to correct their security if needed. 

• Upvote 1

I too had the same issue about a year ago when I tried to purchase from SimMarket, except my bank had flagged the transaction as high-risk, with a known history of problems.  They stopped the payment going though which was lucky for me.  This is an Australian bank who uses CitiBank to mange Visa cards I believe.

I still get regular spam from SimMarket every single week and it doesn't stop it no matter how many times I unsubscribe.

Okay, there may some reasons to suspect reason for concern,  though we need to hear from more people.

May I ask everyone's help in ensuring we keep this thread above board and not start a witch hunt, but instead let's take an honest and faxtual look at this. I have contacts at Simmarket, their sister company, and people in the credit card security end if things.

TThe more info the better. If your card info was stolen (even if caught by your bank) then the most info you can provide the better. If you'd rather email it to me, please use new.ovpa@gmail.com. No card info please.

This is an extremely common problem nowadays.  So to worry over one transaction is a little drastic.  Last year my debit card was jacked for 940 USD from someone in California.  They bought a tone of stuff from a beauty supply store.  It happened on a Saturday so I was out access to money all weekend and had to use a credit card for food.  The bank fixed the issue in a week. 

Two weeks ago my credit card was jacked for 113 dollars at a PlayStation store online.  Not me, don't even have console. 

I have always been very careful about the sites I use a card on.  After the debit card fiasco I chose to only use the credit card for online purchases.  I have used it at Amazon, Paypal, and a couple other flight sim vendors (Orbx/FSS) and that's about it, as far as online goes. 

IOW, from what I've been reading online, this is such a common problem anymore.  People with cards they haven't used for well over a year have been hijacked.  Skimmers, online hackers, insiders, and so on.  It's pervasive problem.  You'll never know, and the bank usually won't either.  It's almost as if the banks don't even care anymore.  These crooks sleep good at night.  Unlike the old days where CC and check fraud was a big deal.

43 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

So to worry over one transaction is a little drastic.

Actually, my card was hit for 8 transactions totally over $7000.00.

Regardless, it's important to identify any company in our community which may have a compromised system or employee who might be stealing customer information. From this perspective, it's important for us to tell one another of suspect problems with any reseller where this might be happening.

Moreover, the second step from stolen credit card information can be identify theft.

So, one transaction?  Sure, but one transaction from say 5 to 10 flight simmers shopping at the same place, especially one which has a monopoly on an important piece of software such as FSUIPC?  It needs to be tracked, identified and resolved, and communication is the starting place for that.

Best wishes.

• Upvote 1