1st fltsimguy

How to Crush a Guy

So I see PMDG has just released a DC-6, fantastic I say....I think I'll get this one.....WHAT...$70 US....nearly $100 Canadian?

I know they good. I know they are high end planes. They must know what they are doing, right?

But there is no way in Hades that I could or would ever afford to spend that much on one plane. How about a dumbed down version for say $40.

Sad...is this "fake news?"

Bryan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If you wanna play, you gotta pay.

I doubt that anyone is getting rich over at PMDG and it's not likely that they're willing to work for free. It's now what the market is willing to pay for quality addons.

The exchange rate is a killer (at least this year).  On the bright side, the dollar is up almost 5 cents in the last month so buy now with all the money you just saved.

19 minutes ago, MarkW said:

The exchange rate is a killer (at least this year).  On the bright side, the dollar is up almost 5 cents in the last month so buy now with all the money you just saved.

Beautiful!

1 hour ago, DavidP said:

If you wanna play, you gotta pay.

So I play golf....I don't tons of luxury money...so I play the local and muni courses. In fact I buy five game passes which reduce the round coast to $22 each, I walk for exercise and save the cost of a cart.  I would love to play high end white sand trap courses...they run in the many $100 per round...I do not will not ever play them. Such is life.

Im just not sure that it will be a high seller. I think a lot of the community is more focused on getting new jetliners. Especially the ones that no one is paying attention too. MD80- EJets -A380 etc. I do however think that it's good that they are looking at different era's of airliners. However I fear that it will have the same fate as the MD11. 

36 minutes ago, warriorpilot said:

Im just not sure that it will be a high seller. I think a lot of the community is more focused on getting new jetliners. Especially the ones that no one is paying attention too. MD80- EJets -A380 etc. I do however think that it's good that they are looking at different era's of airliners. However I fear that it will have the same fate as the MD11. 

I am not into the PDMG thing at all but I just don't understand the old airplane thing that so many developers get into. Now don't get me wrong, I love looking at the pictures and seeing the old birds at airshows but not what I want in a flight sim. It seems like developers would be building the modern stuff that you see for sale first. There is of course many that love the old fighters and love the old Cessnas and the old "Rag Wings" but I am not so sure that the percentage of us looking to spend close to 100 USD's on one is all that large. Who knows? Maybe I am wrong. It may be another one of those "secrets" :laugh: that the Dev's like to keep. It all ways tickles me when I here about the tiny market and dev's are starving but somehow and some way they found enough food over at PDMG to squeeze out one more old bird. All kidding aside though they do make fine professional products. I wish they would spend some time making nice modern GA stuff.

19 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

All kidding aside though they do make fine professional products. I wish they would spend some time making nice modern GA stuff.

Knowing PMDG a modern airliner is already in the works. Doubt you'll see any GA from them. The DC-6 is just very near and dear to RR and I'm sure a test bed for honing their craft so to say.

Where I live in Canada ( Whitehorse, Yukon ) gasoline is CAD $1.11 a litre. My 2012 F150 has a 130L gas tank. So it cost me CAD $144 to fill every 3 weeks. it is what it is!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, YukonPete said:

Where I live in Canada ( Whitehorse, Yukon ) gasoline is CAD $1.11 a litre. My 2012 F150 has a 130L gas tank. So it cost me CAD $144 to fill every 3 weeks. it is what it is!

Holly word not allowed....I live on Vancouver Island and our gas is $1.19/ltr.....man you've got it good.  I knew we were being hosed.

3 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

So I see PMDG has just released a DC-6, fantastic I say....I think I'll get this one.....WHAT...$70 US....nearly $100 Canadian?

I guess I shouldn't tell you how much their new Boeing 747-400 cost, then....*cough*$90 USD*cough*

44 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

Holly word not allowed....I live on Vancouver Island and our gas is $1.19/ltr.....man you've got it good.  I knew we were being hosed.

BC= Bring Cash. Yukon only has GST

1 hour ago, Captain Kevin said:

I guess I shouldn't tell you how much their new Boeing 747-400 cost, then....*cough*$90 USD*cough*

LOL....I went to their site and reviewed the new issues and price points. I actually did get the FSX version of Queen of the Skies 747, on disk from a local store, many many years ago. Does that count for a discount?

3 hours ago, shivers9 said:

I wish they would spend some time making nice modern GA stuff.

A2A= best of GA.

I will pass on this one, not my cup of tea. I would love a 757 and 767 series in PMDG form but they won't go there 

• Upvote 1

If you want to know what the appeal of a classic airplane is, ask any pilot.  Most pilots, including me, look at airplanes the same way many teenage boys and car enthusiasts look at cars.  We see the chance to fly a P-51 or Spitfire(vintage supercars of the aviation world) just as if a car enthusiast was asked if he/she wanted to drive a Shelby Cobra or Jaguar XKSS.   The chance to fly something virtually that we likely won't ever get to fly for real is very appealing.  Even more reason to model the planes that will be gone forever soon so that they may be preserved in digital form.  Awhile back when I was flying, I went to the FBO to rent a plane, I had a choice between a brand new 172SP full of moving maps and dual Garmin GPS...or a 1960 Piper Comanche 250 with a cockpit like a 60s muscle car...it was a no brainer for me.  That's like choosing between a Prius and a vintage Muscle car..

Old airplanes are not only desired for their historical value or rarity, just like a vintage sports car, they are also valued because they are the best 'teachers' of flying.  The 'bar' for aircraft mastery in a vintage airplane is typically a bit higher than that of a modern computerized airplane, because you the pilot have to do more of the work and have to have a solid understanding of the systems.   So you really learn a lot about airplanes and flying when you master an old airplane, such as this DC-6.  If you really want to learn about flying and develop good pilot 'instincts', there is no better teacher than an old airplane.  If you are a simmer and want to know what it's like to 'think' like a pilot...master an old airplane like a T-6 or this DC-6.

That being said, I think the best course for PMDG and A2A is to keep a healthy variety of projects, which they have done.  I know PMDG will do more modern airliners, I hope they keep a couple of vintage side projects going as well.  Most importantly, the developer's should make what they are passionate about.  Passion shows up in the finished product.  Robert and Scott are both very passionate about flying and bring that to both PMDG and A2A, and it shows in their products, whether it's a vintage warbird or a modern jetliner.

Cheers

TJ

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, shivers9 said:

but I just don't understand the old airplane thing

I,m just the opposite,I love the oldies,they are full of character! but then I like low and slow flying ,but at the converted price of £54,dare I say that it is something of a bargain compared with some of the other stuff around,you can pay £35  for some add ons and  then have to wait for a certain gentleman on Avsim to sort them out!, PMDG is supposed to be the best around,Im tempted to treat myself to a PMDG add on,looking forward to seeing the vids

Peter

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

I know they good. I know they are high end planes. They must know what they are doing, right?

But there is no way in Hades that I could or would ever afford to spend that much on one plane. How about a dumbed down version for say $40.

Sad...is this "fake news?"

Bryan

We got two developers who produce dumbed down aircraft. Good eye candy with bad systems. One even pumps out new aircraft every few months! Both developers names start with a C.

59 minutes ago, pilottj said:

If you want to know what the appeal of a classic airplane is, ask any pilot.  Most pilots,

I went to the FBO to rent a plane, I had a choice between a brand new 172SP full of moving maps and dual Garmin GPS...or a 1960 Piper Comanche 250 with a cockpit like a 60s muscle car...it was a no brainer for me.  That's like choosing between a Prius and a vintage Muscle car..

I'm a low time private pilot and I've never gotten into old planes or had any desire to fly old equipment. The only thing I do have a soft spot for is older jet fighters like the Century Series fighter planes and older commercial jet aircraft, neither of which I'll ever have a chance to personally fly.

I'm the same way with cars. Although I like sports car, I wouldn't consider myself an enthusiast, but have always liked either the newer European sports cars or even some of the newer Jap models, but always hated the American classics like Corvettes, Mustangs, Cobras, etc. Not sure why,  but I think it's mainly that I've never liked the looks of American cars and always considered the muscle cars as junkers that just go fast and guzzle gas and have no special appearance to them. I'll take any of the newer M series BMW coupes or Mercedes AMG coupes over any American model. Granted they might not have the same 0-60 speed but I like the luxury and looks much more.

I do agree however about the older planes as being great for learning airman ship and navigational skills vs. newer all glass models.

Put it simply I would love to have this plane in my hanger.....but I just can't afford it at that price point.

Bryan

9 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

So I play golf....I don't tons of luxury money...so I play the local and muni courses. In fact I buy five game passes which reduce the round coast to $22 each, I walk for exercise and save the cost of a cart.  I would love to play high end white sand trap courses...they run in the many $100 per round...I do not will not ever play them. Such is life.

so  skip  4  rounds of  golf  and  there  you  go  you  got  the  dc-6,  better off  joining  golf  club :smile:

• Upvote 1

Living in SE Europe it's hard for me to believe that someone from USA/Canada considers $70 to be too much for such a complex plane. The fact is that prices of top addons have exceeded $100 long time ago and I'm afraid sometime next year we might see planes between $150-200. Now 777 at almost twice as Cloudmaster, that's something I myself can't afford too.

My current audio setup is the Cambridge Soundworks PCWorksFourPointSurround SW1000 system with a Woofer, two front & two rear speakers, fed from a Sound Blaster Fatality X-Fi console.

I've yet to hear a better output. (I often use headphones, and I also use it for recording)

When I can, I turn it up to 'Window Rattling Mode' (tm) when flying.

I just may buy this bird for two reasons - my first ever holiday flight was on the DC-6, I got into the cockpit for quite a while (still got the pics from 8000' over the English Channel in '66), and to try this sound system on it. From what Robert says, I'm looking forward to hearing those radials again, but this time at FL zero...(and just as loud as in '66)..

With regard to GA 'planes, I have yet to find a GA aircraft to better the A2A Cherokee. I'd rather see PMDG keep to 'liners'....

Well done, PMDG.

Regards

Bill

On a brighter note, they decided not to rip of P3D customers this time, and charged the same price for both platforms.